Thoughts on Librela?

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Wwll, we haven't seen any improvement after the first injection but are still keeping it all crossed.

Second jab today, and the vet said if it's going to work, expect to see results within a week.

She can't take previcox, and galliprant did nothing so we are pinning hopes on the librela.

scats

Visit site
Wwll, we haven't seen any improvement after the first injection but are still keeping it all crossed.

Second jab today, and the vet said if it's going to work, expect to see results within a week.

She can't take previcox, and galliprant did nothing so we are pinning hopes on the librela.

My vet told me not to worry if I didn’t see any improvement til after the second injection. Fingers crossed for your doggie xx

OldNag

Visit site
My vet told me not to worry if I didn’t see any improvement til after the second injection. Fingers crossed for your doggie xx

Thank you :)

I sm so pleased yours has seen such an improvement. It does seem to work well - my vet says it is rare for it not to work, in her experience.

It will be so good to be able to go out for a walk with both dogs again. Poor limpy one must be so fed up! They are litter sisters abd I think she just drew the short straw - other one is absolutely fine.

scats

Visit site
The first thing I really noticed was her going up the stairs. It used to be painful to watch- one step at a time and back legs sort of bunny hopping.
This morning I walked behind her with a cup of tea and she got up them like a normal dog in about 5 seconds! No bunny hopping or stopping part way. So lovely to see.

fiwen30

Visit site
My lad went for his 2nd jab last week. He’d been on 400mg Gabapentin twice a day for a year after his cruciate op, but was starting to get tetchy and grumblier. He had his first jab, and after a week we agreed with his vet to try reducing his GP dose to 400mg in the morning and 200mg at night.

The first week was fantastic, but he got sore again in the lower gabapentin dose, so he’s now been back up to full strength this week. Some dogs just need that extra support of meds on top, and that’s ok!

It’s so lovely to see him full of life and energy again, and looking happy in his face, even at 11, with dodgy legs, a too long back, and still a bit too heavy for my liking!

Our older lady cat is doing grand on her Solensia jabs too, and it was only through blood checks for potential additional pain meds (turns out she doesn’t need them after all!) that we discovered early stages of kidney problems, and have been able to intervene very early on which is great.

Dog is around 21kg, and Librela is about £35 plus a £20 injection fee.
Cat is just under 5kg, and Solensia is around the same price.

misst

Visit site
Well I am definitely not imagining an improvement in my little lad. My daughter visited at the weekend and noticed how fast and lively he was and said how relaxed he looked. He is trotting out ahead of us off lead and very keen to go on walks. Stairs are no problem anymore and he is becoming a pain requesting extra playtime. Fingers crossed that the effects last. However long or short the effects are I am so very glad we tried this.

rextherobber

Visit site
I have a cat and a dog on these and both have responded well - I think the are an absolute godsend for anyone with an elderly animal, particularly if the traditional meds cause stomach problems. The dog has been on paracetamol, which worked well for ages but he's 15 now, had a cruciate op 5 years ago and was definitely feeling his age. The cat was slowing down but in the last 8 weeks became quite skinny then went suddenly lame, we're thinking constant pain just (quite understandably) wore him down, affecting his appetite. He's now sound and eating like a horse again, he's 16 but now running around like a cat half his age. Wonderful, and worth every penny!

OldNag

Visit site
My lad went for his 2nd jab last week. He’d been on 400mg Gabapentin twice a day for a year after his cruciate op, but was starting to get tetchy and grumblier. He had his first jab, and after a week we agreed with his vet to try reducing his GP dose to 400mg in the morning and 200mg at night.

The first week was fantastic, but he got sore again in the lower gabapentin dose, so he’s now been back up to full strength this week. Some dogs just need that extra support of meds on top, and that’s ok!

It’s so lovely to see him full of life and energy again, and looking happy in his face, even at 11, with dodgy legs, a too long back, and still a bit too heavy for my liking!

Our older lady cat is doing grand on her Solensia jabs too, and it was only through blood checks for potential additional pain meds (turns out she doesn’t need them after all!) that we discovered early stages of kidney problems, and have been able to intervene very early on which is great.

Dog is around 21kg, and Librela is about £35 plus a £20 injection fee.
Cat is just under 5kg, and Solensia is around the same price.

Quite a variation in price - I am in expensive home counties, dog under 6kg so smallest dose - £60 something plus vet fee so £93 total!

fiwen30

Visit site
Quite a variation in price - I am in expensive home counties, dog under 6kg so smallest dose - £60 something plus vet fee so £93 total!

Ouch! Northern Ireland is good for some things, I’ll grant. Dog’s regular everyday medicine costs another £100 each month to be fair, and then about another £100 to feed everyone.

misst

Visit site
My lad is 6kg and it was £50 plus consult which was £35 they did not charge for giving it but I will see how much the second one is. My vets have allowed us to inject our old dog in the past when she was suffering so might be prepared to do this for Moti. My insurance looks like it will cover it so fingers crossed but I would pay it happily for these results.

OldNag

Visit site
Mine isn't insured for this as apparently it is on vet record that she had a stiff leg (didn't find cause) some years ago so they argued it was pre existing.....

Anyway if it works it's worth it

Birker2020

Visit site
Just a thought, can you not get these drugs on online pet prescription websites a lot cheaper?
Will your vet price match for these sites like some do for horse medication?

rextherobber

Visit site
Mine is £54 + VAT for cat and dog (I believe it's done on weight?) I have a nurse appointment so no consult fee. You can, with a prescription, get it from Viovet, don't know if that would work out cheaper for anyone?

scats

Visit site
Two weeks after her injection and although her mobility has improved, she has started exhibiting strange behaviour- stressy, panting and won’t settle. This behaviour came out of the blue a few days ago. There has been no change in the house or routine. Looking on the FB Librela page, it’s seems to be one of the side effects people are seeing in their dogs.
Feeling very deflated because it really does seem to have helped her arthritis, but seeing her like this is distressing.

OldNag

Visit site
Reporting back...

We are 10 days from the 2nd jab and I see a difference. So much so that we have been able to go for walks again (keeping them short for the moment). It is blooming marvellous stuff. I was really despondent at getting no result after 1st jab, but very glad we gave it a 2nd chance. :D

misst

Visit site
Reporting back...

We are 10 days from the 2nd jab and I see a difference. So much so that we have been able to go for walks again (keeping them short for the moment). It is blooming marvellous stuff. I was really despondent at getting no result after 1st jab, but very glad we gave it a 2nd chance. :D
The best news :) so pleased for you.

Thistle

Visit site
My old girl who has been on Librela for over a year has random panting sessions, however I feel it's a small price to pay for the comfort and lack of pain/increase in mobility. Ultimately she's an old dog who we though had reached her sell by date 18 months ago. Librela has given her 18 months relatively pain free with a huge increase in her mobility.

scats

Visit site
Thank you. It really is miraculous.

@scats how is your dog doing, I hope the side-effects have worn off?

So glad you are seeing improvements, that’s fantastic news.
JD did settle down over the weekend and seems less stressed/less panting. She’s due her next jab next week so provided she stays ok this week, we might give injection number 2 a go and see how we get on.

OldNag

Visit site
JD did settle down over the weekend and seems less stressed/less panting. She’s due her next jab next week so provided she stays ok this week, we might give injection number 2 a go and see how we get on.

Fingers and toes crossed for her xx

fankino04

Visit site
Fingers crossed it was just an initial bad reaction and that now it's been in her system a while she has acclimatised and you continue to see good results x

scats

Visit site
Little update on JD. Unfortunately the stressy odd behaviour returned and hasnt gone away. She’s due jab number 2 this week but I don’t think I’m going to do it again. I can’t say for sure it was related to the injection but it seems very suspect and fits in time wise.
Feel sad about it because it does seem to have helped her arthritis, but seeing her so unsettled/pacing is awful.

Thistle

Visit site
Little update on JD. Unfortunately the stressy odd behaviour returned and hasnt gone away. She’s due jab number 2 this week but I don’t think I’m going to do it again. I can’t say for sure it was related to the injection but it seems very suspect and fits in time wise.
Feel sad about it because it does seem to have helped her arthritis, but seeing her so unsettled/pacing is awful.

The stressy behaviour can also be a response to pain, it's worth at least trying the 2nd Librela and possibly using something like yucalm to help the behaviour

scats

Visit site
The stressy behaviour can also be a response to pain, it's worth at least trying the 2nd Librela and possibly using something like yucalm to help the behaviour

It just seems very odd that it’s happened so suddenly after the Librela though. Although she is stiff getting up, she’s never shown any major signs of being in pain and I’d be surprised if that suddenly came on that quickly. Not sure though.
The Librela FB group seems to have a lot of people having very similar experiences to mine and it’s enough to make me not want to jab her again if I’m honest.
I will ask the vet if there is anything else we can try instead.

OldNag

Visit site
It just seems very odd that it’s happened so suddenly after the Librela though. Although she is stiff getting up, she’s never shown any major signs of being in pain and I’d be surprised if that suddenly came on that quickly. Not sure though.
The Librela FB group seems to have a lot of people having very similar experiences to mine and it’s enough to make me not want to jab her again if I’m honest.
I will ask the vet if there is anything else we can try instead.

I'm really sorry it's not worked out for your girl. :(

Landcruiser

Visit site
Our lurcher Joe has just had his second librella. He had a tremendously good improvement about 2 weeks in after the initial dose. He's 12, has had mysterious stiffness on and off for many many years (had MRI/spine tap/every test we could think of). Extreme bouts (almost like "locking up") have been intermittent and occasional, but he's always been stiff on waking, and had ongoing and shifting lameness. He's been on Yumove advance for years, and Pardale 2 x day for the last few months. This last couple of weeks he has shed years, has a spring in his step and a sparkle in his eyes, and not a hint of lameness or stiffness. We are thrilled with it.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My greyhound, aged 11 is a couple of weeks in from his first injection and is a new dog. He did have previcox for the first 8 days after the injection, as that is when the box ran out.