Thoughts on magnetic boots?

lunginggirl

Visit site
I am looking for opinions on magnetic boots, specifically for horses with arthritis.

Last year my boy went in to the hospital and was diagnosed with Arthritis of the coffin and pastern joints and we have been working with the vets over the past year to help manage this. Just as a note I am still in touch with the vets and following their plans that was agreed upon.

Obviously I would also like to do as much as I can at home to ensure that he is happy as well as following the plans/guidance from the vets. I keep seeing magnetic boots and have heard so many mixed reviews about how successful they are that I would really like to hear some peoples opinions/experiences first hand.

I really appreciate any help you can give :)

Thanks

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I am looking for opinions on magnetic boots, specifically for horses with arthritis.

Last year my boy went in to the hospital and was diagnosed with Arthritis of the coffin and pastern joints and we have been working with the vets over the past year to help manage this. Just as a note I am still in touch with the vets and following their plans that was agreed upon.

Obviously I would also like to do as much as I can at home to ensure that he is happy as well as following the plans/guidance from the vets. I keep seeing magnetic boots and have heard so many mixed reviews about how successful they are that I would really like to hear some peoples opinions/experiences first hand.

I really appreciate any help you can give :)

Thanks
I’ve never used them but a friend uses them with hers and swears by them. Not sure there’s any research to prove that it actually works though!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I found that they worked brilliantly for one mare. The magnetic leg wraps were a last chance before pts as she was already on maximum bute and still not sound. She wore them, as directed by the manufacturer for the 1st 24 hrs, in overnight and out during the day. She had been struggling to keep up with the herd and was obviously lame in walk, as well as other gaits. That evening (after 24 hrs) she *trotted* in, looked sound and obviously felt much better. She wore them overnight every night, offering her legs to have the put on. Sadly she was pts after 3 months because of something unrelated but the effect was miraculous!
However I have used them on other horses, both my own and a friend's without noticeable effect.

FFAQ

Visit site
I have them for 2 of my horses and a collar for my dog. Jury's out tbh! I'm still using them but started as the weather improved, so not sure whether (no pun intended) it's that, a bit of doctor green or the magnets that's helped my mare improve. No improvement in my gelding and he's on a strict diet without grass at the moment, so I suspect it's more hrass that's making her feel good!

Winters100

Visit site
I use them, and the pro on our yard swears by them, but truthfully I am really not sure that they have any more effect than any nice warm stable boot.

I would say that if the cost is not a big issue for you no harm in trying them, they won't cause any harm, but you should not feel any pressure to do so, because they are (so far as I am aware) unproven. Maybe you could even borrow some to try, or find on ebay?

From experience with a very arthritic dog I can say that the things that really do help is movement and keeping him on the skinny side of OK.

Good luck with him, sounds like he is lucky to have you.

J&S

Visit site
I bought some 20 odd years ago for my elderly NF mare. They worked wonders, helped her emormously. I still have them and use them on my present elderly mare. I am not seeing such success here. A vet will tell you they do nothing other than keep the area warm but magnets have been used for centuries, it is something to do with the magnetic pull......... sorry, really ignorant as to the true scientific effect. Hopefully others on here will put you straight about this.

lunginggirl

Visit site
Thank you all! This has been really helpful.

Its a difficult situation for him because the best thing for his arthritis is to be moving but he has also had tendon complications, why are horses never easy!

I may see if anyone has some I can borrow or use before buying a set. I do have a pair of good stable boots but my stable has a pen on the front so he is never shut in, I may look to invest in some turnout ones instead.

Thanks again! :)

Baywonder

Visit site
Just like @J&S , I bought some for my old boy. He had arthritis of the coffin joint and sidebone, so I had the over-reach boot type. He did seem better from wearing them - especially when coming out of the stable first thing in the morning.

They don't work for everyone, but they did help my old boy. :)