Thoughts on oldies and 24/7 winter turnout vs. night time stabling

HelenBack

Visit site
I'm just considering my options really. I have a retired horse who has arthritis as well as a few other issues. He's exceptionally happy in himself but is quite stiff behind. I'm lucky where he is now that he can live out and he does seem to enjoy that, even with this rubbish winter we've had. There are some issues where we are though and I'm not sure it's going to be suitable for the long term so I'm just trying to think about things a bit.

If we move I am 99% certain that I won't find anywhere where he can live out again. He always did fine being stabled overnight when he was still ridden, even with the arthritis, but I guess I'm finding it difficult to think about stabling him again now we've had the turnout and he's retired. If we do move then I would only let it be to somewhere where he can definitely have daily turnout and be out all day rather than just a few hours and part of me thinks he might not mind a dry and a lie down when it's wet. His current field does also get very muddy and I sometimes wonder if that could be aggravating in itself even though he can be out and moving. So I'm in a bit of a pickle really and just trying to think of what might be best.

What have other people have found works for their oldies in this situation? For reference he isn't on any bute or similar at the moment so I still have that as an option too.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A lot of horses (and not just the oldies) really appreciate being stabled at night in winter at least.

ETA If a horse is noticeably stiff after overnight stabling and it doesn’t ease off within a few strides, then for me that horse is getting to the stage of considering its quality of life and is needing a vet review.

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Archie's in overnight in winter - I'd love him to be out 24/7 and I think he'd enjoy it too, especially if he had a field shelter but I have no choice where I am. This winter, however, I've been glad of it, it's been so wet that we've had very little grass so at least I know he's getting a good bellyful of haylage every night (he's bottom of the pile so I'd worry he wasn't getting access to any hay in the field) and he's been able to dry off. He's had a touch of mud fever for the first time ever so it was good to get his legs dry and to be able to deal with it more easily. He's a bit stiff going out in the morning but you can see each step getting easier as he walks to the field and he comes in every evening as sound as a pound so I don't think it's too much of an issue for him.

Last edited:

Squeak

Visit site
I prefer 24/7 turnout whenever possible for any age of horse but it's not always realistic.

My main worry at a yard that doesn't have 24/7 turnout all year would be whether they'd stop turnout on days when there's been a lot of rain etc and they end up being stabled far more than just overnight.

Last edited:

Arzada

Visit site
What have other people have found works for their oldies in this situation?
Mine is in a little herd, all in their 20s and retired, and they have acres open to them all the time (fewer in the spring and summer), a very large barn which is also open all the time so they can choose where to be. The fields have extremely high native hedging which hasn't been cut for at least 20 years so they have outside shelter areas too. A stable is available if needed. Very hard to find and this is pretty much a private yard. I have found a three of these over the years, all by word of mouth.

HelenBack

Visit site
So it seems that mostly stabling is not seen as being so bad then! This is actually a very easy going horse who doesn't mind being stabled, although since living out he does seem to get bored quite quickly when he does come in and will push the door open to go out again!

He does seem to really enjoy living out even when the weather is rubbish, probably more than I expected actually. He's had hay out in the field once the grass had gone. We don't have a shelter but do have high hedges. There is nowhere at the moment where he can really be on dry ground though. I can't really say I've noticed any difference in his stiffness compared to when he was stabled. Some days he's a bit worse and some days he's a bit better.

My oldies were always better out, but current one wouldn’t do well at all and has always liked to come in overnight. She gets stiffer out because she just stands and sulks.

If you can’t find 24/7 turnout, then go for the next best thing. You could always move on again if it doesn’t suit.

I prefer 24/7 turnout whenever possible for any age of horse but it's not always realistic.

My main worry at a yard that doesn't have 24/7 turnout all year would be whether they'd stop turnout on days when there's been a lot of rain etc and they end up being stabled far more than just overnight.

Yes I know what you mean but I wouldn't allow that to happen. None of the main yards near me have 24/7 turnout all year as the ground just doesn't allow it so I've been lucky to have this option. I do know the ones that do genuinely offer daily turn out and those that keep in though and wouldn't be going for one that did any keeping in. If I went to a private yard or somewhere I'd not visited before then I would be specifying this very clearly. And I know that yard owners can lie but I think my lie detector has got better over the years too!

Mine is in a little herd, all in their 20s and retired, and they have acres open to them all the time (fewer in the spring and summer), a very large barn which is also open all the time so they can choose where to be. The fields have extremely high native hedging which hasn't been cut for at least 20 years so they have outside shelter areas too. A stable is available if needed. Very hard to find and this is pretty much a private yard. I have found a three of these over the years, all by word of mouth.

This sounds idyllic, I'm jealous!

Follysmum

Visit site
My oldies 27, 25 and 22 are so much better out. One especially gets really stiff when he comes in. This year I have kept them out 24/7 and they are absolutely fine. Ad lib hay and 2 big feeds of grass nuts and linseed have ensured their weight have been consistent. I think this is best they have looked and are thriving. They will never be stabled again in a small stable only where they can have more freedom ie a barn or big field shelter.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
A lot of horses (and not just the oldies) really appreciate being stabled at night in winter at least.

ETA If a horse is noticeably stiff after overnight stabling and it doesn’t ease off within a few strides, then for me that horse is getting to the stage of considering its quality of life and is needing a vet review.

24/7 for oldies is only good if they have some decent shelter and can get out of the mud - I’m not sure all horses love it quite as much as we seem to think!

This. It can't be good for their joints getting no respite from the mud, wet and cold. Let him come in to a nice deep bed and haynet

Ratface

Visit site
Currently, my oldie (28) is out from 0700hrs to around 1600hrs. He's on excellent grazing, comes in to a thick, fresh straw bed and an ad lib ration of first-class hay. He also has an age and excercise related ration of feed morning and evening. If the weather is very wet, he may have a shorter time in the field, but, if not, he's out for as long as possible to ensure his maximum welfare.

Cocorules

Visit site
Mine did better out 24/7 she had access to field shelters and was the boss so I knew she would have the best spot.

Can you look into retirement livery?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The problem with keeping oldies out 24/7 with no shelter and muddy fields is that they don’t get a chance to lay down and rest. Mine used to be happy to come in to a deep clean bed and plenty of hay, she always laid down overnight when in. In an ideal world it would be good to have some bc sort of big barn so they could come and go as they pleased but most of us don’t have that option..

Follysmum

Visit site
The problem with keeping oldies out 24/7 with no shelter and muddy fields is that they don’t get a chance to lay down and rest. Mine used to be happy to come in to a deep clean bed and plenty of hay, she always laid down overnight when in. In an ideal world it would be good to have some bc sort of big barn so they could come and go as they pleased but most of us don’t have that option..

Mine seem to only lie down in the mud
Their rugs were minging this morning 🤣🙈

Fieldlife

Visit site
My big old boy lived out for a bit, and loved living out, and hated being stabled. The a few years later, he changed his mind in winter, and stood at the gate calling to come in. Adlib hay and good rugging didnt change his mind. I moved yards to accommodate him. I think it has to be horse led. My current horse wants to live out in all weathers, whether he still does in ten year time remains to be seen.

Squeak

Visit site
I think I'd just reiterate that if you can do 24/7 properly, with proper shelter and not endless mud then it's great and is usually far and away the best option. The change in my old boy was huge when he went to 24/7 turnout and it's genuinely taken years off him. However, being realistic it's not that feasible for a lot of people to do 24/7 turnout properly/ well and a horse that's stabled at night has to be far better off than those poor horses you see standing in endless mud and with nowhere to get out of the rain. It's definitely a case of doing the best we can with the options we have for each horse.

dillonbibbon

Visit site
Mine are out 24/7 with field shelter. Ground is shot, but not deep mud. Loads hay spread all over field. They're so well, one of them is back in very light work. But do what you can, no point in stressing over what you can't.

marmalade76

Visit site
It is dependant on the horse. Most people advocate for out 24-7, but for my old boy he felt significantly less stiff having a night in his stable when it is very cold and damp, he also really struggled with frozen ground. You know your horse.

Not just the horse but the turnout, you need plenty of ground, well draining and preferably with both natural and man made shelter.

Have to say my old polo pony loves her stable.

Peglo

Visit site
I stabled my oldies over night in the winter and they wouldn’t have coped with being out 24/7 here so it was definitely the better option for us.
But I had them at home so I had control of how long they were in. They would go out at 6 and come in at 8 so were out longer than in.

Mustard

Visit site
We kept our big old boy in at night for years, and thought the reason we'd kept him going was because we kept him as we had before he retired. Then we moved for various reasons, and he was out in a 10 acre filed, most of which stays dry even at the moment, with a field shelter and natural shelter. He was much happier and had a really good last year until he suddenly went downhill last October. I wish we'd moved years before.

2 Dragons

Visit site
My mare can has 24-7 access to a field and stable during the winter. She used to be a real outdoor girl but this year she is choosing to spend more time in her stable especially when the mud is bad.

Pidgeon

Visit site
My boy is 27 tomorrow, and has lived out 24/7 since 2011. Access to field shelter and ad lib hay. Rubber mats inside field shelter and mud mats outside to give respite from mud. Pidge positively thrives and with his arthritis it suits him much better, especially as he is 17hh and in a 7' rug. Obviously it is very much horses for courses and you need to take into account how yours copes. Pidge is 3/4 TB 1/4 ID, and is hunter clipped each winter.

tatty_v

Visit site
Mine’s in overnight aged 24 and has hock arthritis. He’s much happier that way, has a really big stable that he can walk about in and an enormous straw bed and always lies flat out for a snooze. He stays in this routine all year - I tried overnight turnout during the summer and he hated it! So I definitely agree it needs to be horse led.

JBM

Visit site
My girl gets stiff in a loose barn now
24/7 turnout is the only way for her she never gets stiff when out

Bobthecob15

Visit site
100% this. Our previous yard did out at night in winter and in during the day for about 3 months…all the liveries hated it and thankfully it was changed back over to in at night in winter. Fields were sodden and no proper shelter, horses didn’t lie down to sleep it was awful.

One of the horses who was out overnight had arthritis and the vet said being out in cold temperatures would be more harmful for the arthritis than being stabled overnight. She wouldn’t advise it and wouldn’t do it for her own horses. I’m sure it does depend on the horse though

HelenBack

Visit site
Thanks for all your comments, you've all given me a lot of food for thought.

The reality is that round here I'm not going to find 24/7 turnout on masses of well draining land with a lovely field shelter and some nice hard standing or mud mats etc. It just ain't going to happen.

I did look at him last night though and he was fine but waiting by the gate for a feed and then slopped off in the mud and I did think about all the comments about that not being great for them. And I have to admit that it is something I wondered about earlier on in the winter when I watched him walking across the field one day and there wasn't a level bit for him to walk on. I tried to put it to the back of my mind though as I hoped I was doing my best for him.

So I'm going to have a look with an open mind. He won't be going anywhere where they have to stay in for days or weeks on end or where they only get a couple of hours out. It will need to be somewhere where he can go out for a full day most days and actually somewhere with better fields than he has now.

If I can somewhere that fits that bill though then I'm going to give it a try and think about the positives of a warm dry stable rather than feeling bad for keeping him in.