Thoughts on PTS

wattamus

Visit site
I’m in the same position with my mare, Bute a day and barely able to pick up her back legs for the farrier or for picking out but still goes hurtling round the field! (She’d give Badminton a go if she could). I know I’m going to have to make the choice at some point but no idea when or how.
It’s nice to hear other people’s advice and experiences for when the time comes.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I’m in the same position with my mare, Bute a day and barely able to pick up her back legs for the farrier or for picking out but still goes hurtling round the field! (She’d give Badminton a go if she could). I know I’m going to have to make the choice at some point but no idea when or how.
It’s nice to hear other people’s advice and experiences for when the time comes.

This is exactly my position. The farrier is super patient but said to me this week that there is nothing he can do for him and yes, picking up hinds is a real issue. The vet is due tomorrow for vaccinations and a chat.

Yes to the hurtling round the field when a new horse arrives or a friend who's been on box rest goes back out! I'm not in a rush to do anything, but I want to know my options, especially when he's hobbling, I don't want him suffering.

Mule

Visit site
I've only had one pts. The vet did it by injection. A neighbour of mine who has a digger dug a grave and put her in. I didn't stay for that part.

I'm glad to have her in the field. I planted wildflowers on the grave. (I've just seen yours is on livery so I suppose my idea isn't any good to you) x

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I've always used a lady called Lizzie from Earth to Heaven. Shes based in the South West area, so depends where you are. She was excellent, extremely caring and my mare loved her. She wasn't in any rush and was really thoughtful. My mare went eating a bucket of polos, nuts, carrots, apples, you heard the shot and she was gone. No going over backwards from the injection like my friends gelding or needing more dosage which is more heart breaking IMO and more stressful for the horse.

I would always have mine shot now, seen a injection go badly and my mare went quickly and peacefully. She wasn't scared as she hated vets.. but over the moon a lovely lady arrived to give her a huge bucket of her favourite goodies. She was put to sleep, I got to say goodbye for 10 minutes and then I sat in my car while she was put onto the trailer and taken away.

Injection with the vet was approx £300 back then plus taking her away was extra, Lizzie done everything for £160 but I didn't want her ashes back which was a extra. As a friend said, the thought of the shot is worst for the human than for the horse. They have no idea whats coming and its much quicker - my own vet told me that part.

My mare was 9, had a year of being a needle cushion she it broke my heart I was only 18 but I kept telling myself shes above pain free watching over me with her friends.
So sorry you're going through this. xx

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Sorry your in this position it's never easy and certainly not nice.

I have had a few experiences with holts they have always been very good, although my last horse was pts by the vet then collected by resting pets they too were very good, I personally prefer mine to be done by a vet then collected but I have dealt with a few for other people that chose to have them shot and they didn't want to be present when it's done and then some people want to be there, one thing I would say is don't be around when they are collected it's not a nice last memory say your goodbyes well before.

I don't think your too far from me if you need help or just some support I am happy to help.

cappucino

Visit site
Sorry you are going through this, always such a tough decision.

A friend's mare was PTS by injection by the RVC, she couldn't bare to stay but they had no problem with me being there with her all through the procedure. All very quick and painless. Not sure why you haven't been allowed to stay ? Was it at the RVC hospital rather than at your place ?

I think the owner had booked the removal independently, they were very professional and sympathetic, waited until we were ready and removed her with care and compassion. I can get the number if you like as I think you are close ?

Hollychops

Visit site
Really feel for you.

The vet put my mare to sleep by injection. The surgery organised for her removal as i wasnt in a fit state to sort it out. The guy who took her away was at home before the vet and was brilliant, gave her a pat and then left me to spend my last few minutes with her.

It was all very peaceful. I said my goodbyes, gave her a kiss, took off the headcollar and walked away. I didnt want to see her being loaded up. I dont think of that day when i think of her, just remember the fun and the good, and bad, days we have had. Still miss her madly.

When its time you will know and your horse/pony will be grateful for you making the best decision for them. x

sport horse

Visit site
I have used Holts and they are excellent. I have also used my vets when it was an emergency situation that could not wait and they were excellent too. Holts can usually arrange for someone to hold the horse if you prefer not to and my vets prefer to hold it themselves so that they can move quickly if needed.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
With over forty years of horse ownership (with never selling one) we have had a fair few pts over the years. Our first horse was pts by the then local knackerman, the majority of our others have been done by the same firm,which is now run as a "pet crematorium" by his daughter, who is a horsewoman. Quick efficient and compassionate, we do not stay outside for the removal of the body.
Sorry you are having to deal with this. I do keep the number of our local firm on my phone, just in case :(

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry you are at this stage. the first horse i had PTS was nervous of men and as it was a man coming i had a sedative to give him. the knacker man was lovely, he came and said hello to my horse and gave him a pat and said dont worry about sedation, he will be fine. i was quite worried but amazingly my horse put his head down for the man to stroke him again and he was shot and fell straight down. this knacker man had such a lovely quiet way with my horse and i will be ever grateful to him.... others i have used the vet and they have been sedated first, i walk away and vet shoots. my last one was arranged by my lovely YO, the hunt came and i stood with her until he was ready, she was munching on a bowl of carrots, YO held her while i went back into the stable. very quick and horse knew nothing.. it is such an awful thing to do but we owe it to them and i have never regretted the timing of any except for the last one when i think it could have been done a month earlier(age 25 and cushings)but i struggled with the decision as she was having good days and bad days so delayed a bit....good luck

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had horses pts by the Hunt, by the excellent local Equine Crematorium and in an emergency by vet injection. I much prefer the gun, it is instantaneous, the horse knows nothing about it and goes with its head in a bucket of feed. The Hunt or Equine Crem remove the body, whichever method is chosen. I have stayed with my horses until the deed is done but won't ever watch the winching on to the lorry. The horse knows nothing about it but it is not a memory that I want to have.

Have you tried magnetic wraps for the arthritis? I had one mare who responded very well but others that haven't responded to the magnets at all.

Fingers crossed that he weather co-operates and you can give him a pleasant last summer, if that's what you decide to do.

SNC

Visit site
I had to recently have my horse put to sleep. I phoned my vet and she arranged for Cassie to be collected once she had been put to sleep (she was injected). I then phoned later to the crematorium to discuss whether I wanted her ashes back etc. She was put to sleep at the stables, and although I stayed with her until she was sedated, I then went and sat out of site until she had been put to sleep. I was told it was up to me how I wanted to go about things, but my one bit of advice would be to discuss it with whoever you choose, before as trying to deal with the day and all the options was very upsetting ( on top of losing her too).

TPO

Visit site
Sorry that you are in this position and about the loss of your dog. Not an easy time at all.

I agree with your "better too soon than a second too late" sentiment.

I've had six of my horses pts over the years. One was my pony when I was only 14 so I didn't have any involvement and my Dad arranged it all and held her for the vet. It was a farm vet and it was by gun then the "knackers" that picked her up. By all accounts it was quick and low stress. She was sedated and had no clue what was going on. My Dad is farming stock but a massive soft touch and he said the vet had been really good with Dana.

When I first had to make the call for one of mine it was vet by gun as that was the only option I knew about and I had been told a lot of horror stories about the injection over the years. It wasn't a good experience but I had nothing to compare it to and (unfortunately I think) it's not something that "we" horse people talk about enough. It wasn't until I was on a course with a vet later that year and euthanasia was discussed that I learnt my gut was right and the vet had done it wrong. I felt very guilty for a very long time after that but I just didn't know any better and even when you asked it was always quite dismissive answers whereas I needed to know details (& then might have made a different choice). I wish the vet had spoken up at the time that they weren't comfortable using the gun or didn't feel capable etc instead of blundering on.

I changed vets since then and the practices that I've used have always discussed in full the whole procedure and what is going to happen and how even although they know that I've been through it all before. So I'd definitely say find a vet that you feel comfortable discussing things with. I cry really easily, even when I don't mean to, so when it was time for my last boy to go I asked my vet via email and asked for it all to be kept on email as I knew I would struggle talking. My vet made everything as simple and considerate as he could which I really appreciated.

I was then on a yard where the YO finally spoke to an owner about how neglected their old pony was. The owner made the decision based on cost, they didn't want to spend on the old pony, and they got the "knackers". The "knackerman" was so kind, he gave the wee pony a polo and a fussed over her, that broke me completely. It was very quick (unlike my experience with the vet) and all very calm and respectful.

The other four of mine that I've had pts I have chosen for them to be injected by the vet. I also held the loan horse that I took on when the owner made the call with no notice. They are sedated prior to it and it has all been very calm, quick and they have had no idea what was going on.

I've held all of my horses and the loan horse at the end, I am upset at losing them but I've never found the actual pts, other than the first one, upsetting. I've always used the "knackers" to collect the bodies and I have never stayed to see them be loaded and I would recommend that no one does. The loan horse was pts the same day as another yard horse and they both used a private person to collect them for cremation. I accidentally saw a bit of it and I have to say the "knackermen" have always treated the bodies with a lot more respect in my experience.

I would say that if you want to keep their headcollar use a different one on the day.

With two practices they booked the "knackers" for me for the collection. With the first one I had cash on the day for the collection that I gave to the vet to give to the man who was collecting her. With the second practice they booked and paid the collection and I was invoiced at a later date. With my current practice I had to phone to book the collection and pay over the phone (poor woman having to deal with me on the phone sobbing while hiding in the toilets at work!). I can't remember accurately but I think it has been around £500 mark per horse for vet injection and collection.

Thinking of you at such a difficult time.

Last edited:

pippixox

Visit site
I had my sick pony pts by the vet and they arranged the pick up too. I could have done it cheaper but I was not in a good place and it was easiest to just phone the vet receptionists to book a time and let them deal with the disposal guy (who arrived and waited out of site until I was ready)

My friend always handed over to someone else for the actual PTS part. But personally I wanted to be with him until he was dead. As he had become a bit needle phobic from regular blood tests we sedated in barn with friends first before walking him away to a bigger space (on the day he was fine with the needle oddly). Then vet injected him while his sleepy head rested in my arms 😢 vet took rope when he fell as it can be a big pull. I then gave him a kiss and sat by him for a few minutes.

I do not watch them winch them in to the trailer. I’ve seen other horses, not my own. It’s not a nice last image so vet stayed with them for that and I then walked out of view.

My old boy is increasingly arthritic and we may be in your situation one day. It will be hard but if he is significantly lame a lot it is far kinder.

Reactions: TPO

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
So sorry you are in this position, but it is good to think about the situation well in advance.

I had my two oldies PTS last autumn by lethal injection, at home. Both had mobility issues and were pairbonded, so we did them both together, by our vet who has treated them for a great many years.

A firm came and picked up the bodies and took them off for cremation; they said that if we wanted an individual cremation it would be very costly, but we had already taken bits of tail & shoes etc before the "deed" was done, so it didn't seem somehow to matter about the ashes.

My first pony was shot by the hunt; I wasn't there so don't know what it was like.

Some people choose to be with their horses right till the end; others just say their goodbyes and then hand over to the professionals. I stayed with mine, and as they went down, but didn't stay for the removal bit - most professionals doing this sort of job will gently steer the owner away for this part of the proceedings as it isn't the pleasantest of memories to have to take away with you.

Whatever method you decide on, you will miss your horse like crazy; feel so sorry that you are in this position, but at least you are thinking about it. We chose the autumn as a time to "say goodbye" - a nice crisp sunny autumn morning, we gave both horses a mega pamper-session and favourite treats and then the vet arrived and did what was necessary.