Thoughts on rider weight please?

LadyLexicon

Visit site
Hi :)

So I’ve recently fallen in love with a 14.1/2hh cob who is a lot smaller than what I’m used to. She’s only 4 and still has growing to do (in terms of filling out- very young looking at the moment!) she’s currently weighing in at around 400kg.

I’m 5ft8 and weigh 12.5 stone. Im fit too, just always been a little thick set! I’m at the 20% of her weight at the moment, but hoping she’s going to put weight on as she grows and fills out.

Im not riding her currently, she’s only lightly backed so far and has been given time to mature. Im going to start attempting to build her up a little in spring and see how we go.

Am I wasting my time? I’m a behaviourist and always very much want the horse to enjoy their work/ life and will feel very uncomfortable If I’m too heavy for her- previously I’ve always gone for 17hh hunter types! But this little mare has stolen my heart.
Thoughts please on whether I’m being soft or actually it could be fine! My friends and her owner think I’m being daft, but I wonder if strangers might be more honest!

thanks!

Roxylola

Visit site
You're almost 20% with no tack at the moment. Even if she puts on 50kg (and isn't then overweight) that still is 20% with tack.

Imo, 20% is the maximum any horse should be carrying at all for a one off. For regular work we need really to be about 15% or less. So are you prepared to lose some weight? If she puts on a bit, you lose a bit you'll be alright, but if not then I'd say yes you're a bit big really

LadyLexicon

Visit site
Thanks everyone- I know I’m too big at the moment, hence not riding her. It’s whether she’s likely to put on enough when she fills out. She’s a rescue and looks more like a 3 year old currently (poor start/late developer).

I desperately wish she was bigger, such a fabulous character and so loving. I’m not in any rush, I’ve considered giving her a year or two to see how she finishes off and make a decision from there- but don’t want to waste my time or her time if it’s just not meant to be!
Losing weight isn’t an option really, possibly half a stone, but I already look after myself- I don’t think I could lose enough to be ok for her at her current weight. Not interested in driving either.

Thanks everyone- you’ve confirmed what I’m thinking, I think my friends perhaps don’t want to upset me! Now what to do from here ??

Sossigpoker

Visit site
Is losing weight an option ? Your height isn't necessarily an issue if she turns out to be quite broad. I weigh just under 11 St, about 5ft7 and my cob is around 15/ 15.1 hh. Ideally id be a bit lighter.
This horse is likely to remain too small for you unless you lose some weight - perhaps your friends don't have the heart to say it?
Sadly a lot of people still think that cobs can carry pretty much anything. ?

gallopingby

Visit site
Oh dear, whilst l agree on the weight issue as a one off there are a few other things to think about. 400 kg is quite light for a 14.2 mature cob depending of course how cobby it is? A 14.2 coloured cob for example could be a chunky beast. It also depends how you ride and if you really want to loose weight, dropping down to 11 stone should be possible over time maybe wait and see how things go?

saddlesore

Visit site
I’m 5’8” and my boy is 15hh so assuming they might have an inch left in them I think you’d be totally fine height wise! They do seem very light for a cob- are they a cross at all?

Frano

Visit site
If a highland can carry a 20 stone stack down from the moors. A dales can carry 14 stone. Possibly this rider will be fine on the cob. Also depends on whether it is a l/w or h/w cob. If a rider is fit and a capable rider it makes a difference. A 10 stone beginner is probably harder to carry than a heavier experienced rider. Confirmation plays a part as well.

Backtoblack

Visit site
These weight threads are getting tiresome.Recommended weight for a horse to carry is no more than 20% of its own, given that it is a fit healthy weight. Proven by people and scientists who know far more than posters on this forum. That is maximum, it has also been proven that no more than 15% is better at lessening damage to the horse in the longer term. those are the facts. if you are too heavy for your horse you are damaging it physically, end of. no amount of "light" riding being or balanced etc will remedy this.

Winters100

Visit site
If a highland can carry a 20 stone stack down from the moors. A dales can carry 14 stone. Possibly this rider will be fine on the cob. Also depends on whether it is a l/w or h/w cob. If a rider is fit and a capable rider it makes a difference. A 10 stone beginner is probably harder to carry than a heavier experienced rider. Confirmation plays a part as well.

But it is not about what they 'can' carry, but what they 'should' carry.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
But it is not about what they 'can' carry, but what they 'should' carry.

Excatly what I was going to post. The harm to horses through them going in compensatory movement patterns cannot be underestimated. This "well we've always done it" without understanding implications, modern understandings, is so common but we must do better. Why are we continually injecting backs and leg joints, why do we have an absolute epidemic of lameness and otherwise broken horses? We can improve how a rider's weight is carried on a horse but there are limits.

There's a really interesting webinar, part 2 coming up, by the Professional Saddle Fitters Association, available for purchase, on rider weight and how its best dealt with from a rider's, saddle fitter and designer's and an osteopath's point of view. Cutting edge understandings and well worth watching.

And OP, really work on posture and the thoracic sling, it's so neglected in favour of just fittening, "strengthening" and then, of course, backing, but their natural bodies, even when strong, are not designed to carry us. We all know this but we don't realise how serious the implications are. Have a look at Balance Through Movement Method, there are others but this is the one I rate, and you never know, she might end up in a position where she could carry you.

Last edited:

Frano

Visit site
We do not live in a perfect world. Recommend weights are recommended, used for guidance. I know adults who exercise their children’s ponies due to concerns about laminitis and lack of exercise from young children. Not ideal. I have found cobs can grow up till 8?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
We do not live in a perfect world. Recommend weights are recommended, used for guidance. I know adults who exercise their children’s ponies due to concerns about laminitis and lack of exercise from young children. Not ideal. I have found cobs can grow up till 8?

No-one thinks we do live in a perfect world hence always trying to do better. Putting up 20%+ is not doing better, there are other ways of exercising little ponies, the compromise on saddle fit in these cases is often enormous, directly causing issue.

AntiPuck

Visit site

That isn't the situation in this case, though - the OP never 'needs' to get on this pony at all.

Morgan123

Visit site
Totally sympathise here, for my two pence - I've had a horse before who I was on the boundary weight-wise as he was very slgiht and had poor conformation. I thought I'd be ok as didn't want to do anything overly exciting with him and am very happy to do lots of groundwork and back strengthening.
I just spent the whole time worrying about everything I did with him, endlessly watching my weight to keep below my self-defined limit, and it ended up no fun at all. I wouldn't do it again!!
I know it's rubbish though :-( if someone could invent a horse grower they;d make millions!

LadyLexicon

Visit site
Are you sure that weight is correct? My 140cm (so not even 14hh) ‘pony’ is 394 and our HW 145cm is pushing 580kg. My 141cm hairy cobby pony thing is 480.
Sadly yes, but as mentioned, she’s a real late bloomer. When I first saw her I thought she was about 2! She’s a rescue and had a poor start, so hasn’t filled out yet, very narrow etc. I think she will be a heavy weight in time, but perhaps 3 years away yet.

holeymoley

Visit site
I would say that you will be too big for her. I have a 14hh cob cross native. I’m 5ft 1 and a size 10. At the moment I feel like i need to lose a bit of weight for him as I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been at 61kg :(. He is a lighter weight type with 8” of bone. If you measure the bone beneath her knee then you’ll get an idea if she’s a l/w m/w etc. but she may not be fully grown yet.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
I’d agree with everyone else, if I were in your shoes I’d feel a bit to heavy. She might fill out as she grows though m. My 14.2 was 470kg in his hunting fit prime.

What about driving her?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You're almost 20% with no tack at the moment. Even if she puts on 50kg (and isn't then overweight) that still is 20% with tack.

Imo, 20% is the maximum any horse should be carrying at all for a one off. For regular work we need really to be about 15% or less. So are you prepared to lose some weight? If she puts on a bit, you lose a bit you'll be alright, but if not then I'd say yes you're a bit big really
Agreed.
I used to work to a max of 12% when I've been backing an animal that is ready to start, 15% thereafter.

Very rarely will I say 20%, that would only possibly be for an in work adult animal for a steady ride, but never ever for a youngster being backed or ridden away. far too much to go wrong with soft tissues and skeletal development.