Thoughts on this comment/situation please - long! SORRY

JingleTingle

Visit site
Well done for making the phone call - won't comment too much on your family issues, none of my business frankly so thats that!

But have to say - although the old chap does look very sorry for himself, for a horse that has suffered the horrendous neglect you describe - his feet are looking pretty neat and regularly trimmed?:confused:

Does he let the farrier at him? If so - could you enlist him on side to help?

Fools Motto

Visit site
My farrier came on the 3rd to do mine. Father didn't want his horse done, so it hasn't been seen since October when I paid for it to be done. The last 2 visits by my farrier, he has been skipped. He won't get his own, he thinks he can trim him himself, which doesn't look good. However, given that circumstance, his feet are ok. I pick them out every few days, he is too stiff for it to be done daily.

Parker79

Visit site
Well done for making the call. I know a lot of people have made comments...I would be inclined to say you are in a difficult situation and you have managed it as well as you could so far..trying to step in and offer care to the horse without him knowing.

If WHW then please take other action, I know he is your father but sometimes you have to be the one to make difficult decisions...he owns this horse and cannot see (or refuses to see) what is right in front of him, may be the dementia but it could also be total denial! How many times have we all seen animals being kept alive and owners sticking there head in the sand??

This horse cannot protect himself...I'm afraid that is your responsibility now as it seems this horse has nobody except you that will look after his interests.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well done OP as I said in my earlier post I have have dealt with similar senarios while I was a welfare officer and we did resolve them it's a difficult position to be in but you needed to do it.
The similar cases that I dealt with where sorted in conjunction with the owners vet who in both cases nudged the owners where they needed to go . Another had two horses signed over to the RSPCA very difficult one that but both went on to be successfully rehomed.
Good luck I will be thinking of you WHW have great people working with them so I am sure you will get the help you need and I'll just add again the rest of the family needs to stick together and present your dad with a united face.

Rosie Round The Hills

Visit site
OP for the Horse to be in that state means the poor thing has been suffering for a very long time!!! Which you have sat by and done nothing until now. I am sorry to hear of your fathers illness. But that is no excuse. This call shouldv'e been made a very long time ago. I am quite disgusted that you have only just got round to doing it. Poor Horse :(

Given that the poster has come on here asking for help, I think this post is completely out of order.

Her father has dementia, he has no perception that the way he is keeping the horse is wrong. He loves the horse and he thinks he is doing right.

The OP has been doing as much as she can to help this horse - that much is apparent if you read through.

To the OP I wish you the best. My initial response was the same as Maesfen; I hope whatever happens it doesn't make it worse for you, your relationship with dad or the horse.

CalllyH

Visit site
Poor chap. He has no sparkle at all. I missed his age but if older I wouldn't hesitate to pts if you can't get him back to full condition

smellsofhorse

Visit site
That poor horse, stop thinking about yourself and not wanting to get in to trouble with your father.
Sort the horse or call a welfare organisation.

Its neglect, and if you are turning a blind eye to it then you are just as bad.

Circe

Visit site
In all honesty, I'd get someone to take your Dad out for the day, ring for the knackerman and get the job done then when he comes back tell him the horse had a heart attack/collapsed/broke a leg in the stable or something and it had to be done immediately. I say use a knackerman as they will take away the body immediately so no body for him to inspect if left there.

OP, well done for reporting the horse, and I hope that he can be helped by the WHW, however, if they aren't able to help and sort the horse out, I would still be inclined to do what Maesfen suggested.
Kx

jaquelin

Visit site
OP - I can relate to your situation as I had a difficult and manipulative father who all found very hard to confront. I know you are afraid to confront him directly with this issue, and it sounds like he is manipulative with all the women in his life. But it is really important for you to work out how to deal with this directly. Before you do tell him what you are going to do in the best interests of his horse, rehearse your words and imagine speaking to him. Then do so, calmly and firmly - no tears, no anger. When he starts reacting and trying to manipulate you, stay calm and firm, repeating if necessary your original statements. He will react, sulk, etc, but you can deal with it. If you can break this pattern with him, you will find that you can start communicating with him differently. This is important, not just for the welfare of this horse but in all dealings going forward with your father. At his age, with his personality and possible other age-related issues, other matters will be coming up, and it is really important that you find a new and more effective way of dealing with him. There are a lot of good books about this which you might want to look into. Best of luck, you can get there!

Ladydragon

Visit site
Sometimes, you have to just get on and do the right thing... Even if you won't win any popularity competitions... At least you can look at yourself in the mirror every day...

Well done on getting in touch with WHW... :)