Thoughts? (pictures)

Alex_kate

Visit site
This is a picture of my horse before I moved him to a new yard, he was on minimal feed, just a bit of chaff and a few nuts...
d090ef06.jpg

After less than three months of being in a new yard he looked like this...
84e8ef65.jpg

Devastated at the state of him I called the vet to do blood tests as I was told by yard manager he was going out for 4 hours a day and eating 3 large haynets a day.

Bloods came back normal except a slight high liver reading (high side of normal)

I was then told by a girl who worked there on the day she was leaving that in fact he hasn't been out in the field for weeks. I was then told by another livery that the horses didn't like the hay, none of them were touching it and they had all been out and bought there own a few weeks ago. So conclusion is my horse was stuck in his stable being starved. I'm so upset about it, I've just had a 500 pound vet bill, I had bought him loads of haylage and ready grass to try and stop him losing weight. There were other issues like him never having much bedding and what he did have was wet, when he did go in the field his feet were not picked out so were full of concrete like mud and stones. I found myself doing a lot of the stuff I was paying for like skipping out, doing his water, sweeping up etc. I have now moved him back to his old yard which I only left in the first place to try and save some money, I have ended up paying a hell of a lot more than I would have if I just stayed in the first place. I paid up until the end of August and left at the weekend. I am now being asked for money to cover outstanding feed and bedding costs! What would you do?

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Tell 'em to sling their hook!

What cheek! I'd be furious too......they haven't kept up their side of the contract, and the vets report has shown you there is nothing drastically wrong with him.

It's a sod when we trust people to care for our animals and this happens....

Beausmate

Visit site
Do you have anyone to back up all this? If you do, I'd tell them to get stuffed and if they want to pursue it, then you can say that you aren't prepared to pay for a service you haven't received and you have witnesses who can verify the lack thereof.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I too would be telling them to whistle for it.

If they sued you, the court would take one look at the photos and the vet report and the witness statements and throw it out, and you could counterclaim for the monies you spent on stuff you werent getting.

Im not normally strident but IF you are sure of your facts they really dont have a leg to stand on.

Just edited to add you could say in a formal letter that of course if there turns out to be anything wrong with the horse other than being starved, not turned out and fed rotten food then you will be happy to send them a cheque for the food, and you will review the horses condition in 3 months time (this is more than fair since the summer when they had him he would have been in his best condition in theory; if he gets in better condition in autumn then it would suggest pretty strongly that something was amiss at the yard).

Last edited:

Fools Motto

Visit site
Poor boy!

I'd tell them where to go. The level of care you have being paying for does not equal the drastic change your horse has gone through. Simples.

Hope he will soon be back to his normal self.
Hugs to you.

Archangel

Visit site
Good grief. Poor lad. What a dreadful yard, an absolute disgrace. I am surprised the other liveries stay after having to buy their own feed.

Re the bill for extra feed - are they having a laugh? Tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

Alex_kate

Visit site
I had obviously been up there but i cant get up every day, I had bought in a load of haylage as he was losing weight, had even had a nutritionist out to see him who changed his feed

Manderley

New User
Visit site
You should not have to owe them anything. These people clearly broke their side of the deal, the picture give clear evidence of that.
Keep all your photo's, paperwork etc and stand your ground.

joeanne

Visit site
IF you can get a statement from the girl who left, I would think about lodging a case with the small claims court for the vets bill and the cost of getting the horse right again.
Did you sign a contract with them and do you HAVE a copy of that contract?

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Tbh I feel for you and the yard should know better but by the sounds off it you were fully aware off him losing weight as well.
Tell them to f.o for the money.
Well done for taking action and getting him out off there

joeanne

Visit site
And does the contract state what care he was supposed to get ie: full livery with daily turnout of x hours?
I would seriously thing about lodging a case at the small claims court. It will cost you £60 and you could claim for the cost of the vets fee's and the cost of putting him right (so the cost ABOVE what you would have normally paid).

MissTyc

Visit site
but by the sounds off it you were fully aware off him losing weight as well.

Seem that OP thought he was getting more feed then he actually was yet he was still losing weight - fence spending a fortune on vet looking into why horse losing weight, as anyone would do!

**Vanner**

Visit site
Tell 'em to sling their hook!

What cheek! I'd be furious too......they haven't kept up their side of the contract, and the vets report has shown you there is nothing drastically wrong with him.

It's a sod when we trust people to care for our animals and this happens....

My thoughts exactly.

Seek legal advice and let them know it.

IsabelleJ

Visit site
Can't believe the difference in him, poor boy :(

Hopefully he will bulk up soon. I would just leave it to be honest. Say no, I'm not going to pay anything. Don't think she has a leg to stand on really. Thank goodness he is in a safe place now!

Isabelle

DragonSlayer

Visit site
Seem that OP thought he was getting more feed then he actually was yet he was still losing weight - fence spending a fortune on vet looking into why horse losing weight, as anyone would do!

Absolutely, YO lies about the feed, OP forks out for the vet because it can't be a feed issue from what YO says, then finds out that YO might not have been truthful....

The fact that OP had to muck out...etc etc....is also telling that if OP is meant to be paying for full livery but is doing the jobs she has been paying for, that in itself shows the YO has not stuck to their side of the contract.

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
Just wanted to add that I hope he picks up soon.
If he doesn't it may be worth thinking whether he could have eaten anything he shouldn't (like wire etc) as it would also cause rapid weight loss.
Hugs to your poor horse.

Tickles

Visit site
Oh, gosh. At first I thought this was going to be a before/after weight loss thread... and then I thought 'they've gone a bit far with that one'!

On the plus side though: he will probs be healthier from being a bit on the skinny side than he would have been a bit on the fat side. Not saying he doesn't need to regain a bit... but don't panic toooo much and he probs doesn't need to be quite as well-covered as he looks in the first pic so you should be happy with him in no time :)

He actually looks reasonably glossy in the second pic too and sorry to say it but a lot happier without mouth being pulled horribly. I'm sure you'll get him back the his full glory soon.

WelshD

Visit site
The YO stood by and watched you call in the vet as you were so worried :( are other horses there thin? I would be reporting that I think

I would say if they insist on chasing you for money that you will start your own claim and see if that makes them back down

Tinsel Town

Visit site
:eek: Oh.my.god. that is disgraceful, and i can tell you i wouldnt be paying that livery bill in a million years! and if they tried to come back at me for it i would threaten them with legal action for neglecting their duties to care for my horse whilst on full livery. good god! :mad: :mad:

milesjess

Visit site
Disgrace... Before you kill her ;)

1 - move ASAP

2 - sort him back to health, routine etc

3 - obtain evidence/ legal advice

4 - sue!!!

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I'd tell them I've sent copies of their livery contract and the photos and vet report to the RSPCA and asked them to prosecute on the grounds of cruelty and fraud! RSPCA won't do anything of course but it'll make them go away! If you have equine legal cover with your insurance I'd be asking their advice because if you aren't careful the insurance will put exclusions on your policy for any illnesses that could be related to this too!

Awful awful people and sad to say it's happened to someone I know too. :( hope your horse is better soon. X

Venevidivici

Visit site
I don't think it looks like he's being pulled in the mouth? The rider's hands do look light,(even tho he is behind the vertical.) Is quite well covered in 1st pic but (aside from weight issue) lovely sweet face in 2nd pic,bless him:) Hope your boy is back to full health soon OP& tell the YO to whistle!

Circe

Visit site
When I first saw this thread I had to double check the photos, I thought you were my friend posting, exactly the same thing happened to her.
She was visiting her horse, seeing him loose weight, buying more and more food and higher fats feeds, still seeing him loose weight.
She then spent a fortune on vets to investigate her horse, they thought he might have a tumour....
When all the investigations came back clear the vet turned to her and said that there was nothing wrong with the horse that feeding him wouldn't cure.
2 days later the horse was in a new yard and within 2 weeks started putting on weight again.
Her previous YO let her go through all that upset, and still told her he was feeding her horse... maybe he was and the horse was being bullied off the feed? The YO didn't dare try chasing for agistment due though.
OP, I hope your horse recovers as quickly as my friends horse did, and I would tell the previous YO to go jump for their money.
Kx

millimoo

Visit site
Poor you and poor horse...
Personally I think you should name and shame - unless of course you end up going down the legal route.
Gross negligence on the YO's part, and you have been paying for services you have not recieved.
You need to get it all in writing, and tell them they can swing for any livery owed, and that you will be taking steps to recovery, vets bills and additional feed costs etc.
Absolutely disgraceful, may also be worth asking World Horse Welfare for advise.
Hope your horse is back to normal very soon, and keep a food diary, and weekly weight tale measurements now your horse is back at your original yard