three steps forward, two back!

Blu

Visit site
Update on previous post earlier this year.(I read every ones posts but not good at posting myself) any way, I've been working on issues with head shaking , every thing as been checked ,saddle changed and bit changed and plenty of lessons. Thought we were making steady progress as hacking out was going better but now he is getting quite excited when approaching our usual place for a canter. Hacking is not very good where I am so even if we change our route we still have to canter in the same place . We start off ok but then he charges forward and gallops past the one in front. (he has got brakes so doesn't go too far in front) I would much rather be doing a more controlled canter. Unfortunately one of our other steps back is that the menage I hire is three farms away on the same lane but the two inbetween us and them have strangles so theres obviously restrictions in place. How can I get a bit more control? I do realise that I am not working him enough at the moment now dark nights are upon us but any tips would be gratefully accepted.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
This is why most sensible people don't always canter in the same place - you are just setting your horse up to anticipate. There is no rule that every hack has to include a canter, you should walk that route sometimes and trot it on other occasions. If you want to canter perhaps you could wait til you get back to the yard. I would also hack alone sometimes.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Pretty much the above - go that route and don't canter, mix it up, make sure the horse is listening to you and not doing his own thing. Run through transitions - walk - trot - walk - to keep him listening (if you have enough control - if you don't, you'll need to address this!).

Shay

Visit site
Never canter in the same place! Even when you have limited routes available. Sometimes walk. Other times trot. Don't canter in the same place even once. As you get more control you might be able to do it twice or even three times. But right now you have to stop him anticipating the exciting bit. Change your route. Go alone, Go in a group. But stay in walk - the whole way.

Blu

Visit site
should have elaborated a bit more, no I don't canter every time I go out ,yes I do do the whole ride in walk sometimes, no I don't do the same route every time . there is nowhere to canter at the yard and the menage is out of bounds. He doesn't like going out alone we're working on it. Like said 3 steps forward 2 back .

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
should have elaborated a bit more, no I don't canter every time I go out ,yes I do do the whole ride in walk sometimes, no I don't do the same route every time . there is nowhere to canter at the yard and the menage is out of bounds. He doesn't like going out alone we're working on it. Like said 3 steps forward 2 back .
If you do canter make sure you put your horse in front before you start so the temptation to charge past isn't there.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

And yet you said, in your OP,

but now he is getting quite excited when approaching our usual place for a canter. Hacking is not very good where I am so even if we change our route we still have to canter in the same place .

Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/three-steps-forward-two-back.769622/#5p75oXSZ3DcOld7X.99

Simply do NOT canter on your hacks for a while, if your hacking companions don't like that idea, change your companions.

Blu

Visit site
thank you for all your comments. I'll let you know how I get on . Luckily I have supportive companions so that's at least one thing I don't have to worry about :)