Three things I've learnt recently

PaddyMonty

Visit site
10 weeks in to my change of riding career I've discovered 2 things

1) I cant ride one side of the big boy. So much more to this stressage lark, even at prelim that at first meets the eye. Horse has huge potential yet I'm just scratching the surface of it. Really steep learning curve if I'm going to do him justice. Thought after riding for 50 years I had a pretty reasonable grasp on what was required. Wrong, huge gaps in my knowledge and skill which is going to take some work to address.

2) To ride the boy how he should be ridden requires a fitness level well beyond where I am right now despite riding very regularly. Extra fitness training is a must for me.

3) Dang, it's good fun!

As my school report used to say.....'Must try harder' :eek:

Gamebird

Visit site
As a fellow dabbler-in-dressage I'm inclined to agree. Who knew trotting a circle could be so complicated? Fitness-wise I'm fine, but having had some rather rude comments made about my jelly-like core recently (made worse by the fact that I'm competing at a level where sitting trot is mandatory) I feel the need to embark on some sort of core-strength programme. It's definitely a case of the more you learn the more you realise you don't know though.

I'm not sure about the fun bit - I'm enjoying it far more in a double bridle and swanning around sideways than I ever did at Novice - but for me I suspect BD will only ever be a diversion to fill the summer before reverting to galloping flat-out at 6ft hedges when the TC season starts again.

dianchi

Visit site
Just don't have a lunge lesson! You will discover that all the things you thought you could do you cant and sitting on the horse is suddenly impossible :)

humblepie

Visit site
Yes when did all this technical stuff about how to trot a circle come in - back in the day I am sure it just happened or I just pulled a bit on one rein and then it happened.

Gamebird

Visit site
You lot are all way more advanced. Trotting circles? I'm still cant ride my horse straight!

Oh, I was rubbish at prelim and equally rubbish at novice. I still can't ride straight but I thought I'd just crack on with the more interesting stuff - we still get the same rubbish scores but the tests are so convoluted the judges rarely get a chance to see whether you're straight ;) . Plus my horse was always being penalised for going sideways so I figured I might as well jump up a couple of levels where they actually give you marks for that, rather than taking them away! :p

soulfull

Visit site
Yes when did all this technical stuff about how to trot a circle come in - back in the day I am sure it just happened or I just pulled a bit on one rein and then it happened.

oh you mean Im doing it wrong? lol

You lot are all way more advanced. Trotting circles? I'm still cant ride my horse straight!

circles are easier than a straight line :)

the biggest bug bear is why is it now I don't have one, it is suddenly so important to use my core!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Straightness is a never ending quest. . .
Is a never ending quest worth starting? Also seems there are two straights. The straight as in direction and the straight as in moving. Confusing! Then add in must be straight on a circle? A contradiction if ever my pee brain heard one. No wonder the ultimate goal can never be achieved.
So, how do I teach him to pick up his back legs over a fence? Does he need to be straight one, straight 2 or straight 3 for that.
Then just when you are closing in on that magical straightness the nasty coach in the courner shouts "now push for more trot. More. MORE!" You oblige. 18hh horse is now moving like a steam train on boingy springs and you think 'WOW, I've cracked this. Then the voice in the corner pipes up with "now go sitting" Yeah right!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Well, considering straightness is just about weighting all the feet evenly and appropriately, longitudinally and laterally, I'd say so. It's all about the most efficient, stable, long lasting mechanism.

soulfull

Visit site
Is a never ending quest worth starting? Also seems there are two straights. The straight as in direction and the straight as in moving. Confusing! Then add in must be straight on a circle? A contradiction if ever my pee brain heard one. No wonder the ultimate goal can never be achieved.
So, how do I teach him to pick up his back legs over a fence? Does he need to be straight one, straight 2 or straight 3 for that.
Then just when you are closing in on that magical straightness the nasty coach in the courner shouts "now push for more trot. More. MORE!" You oblige. 18hh horse is now moving like a steam train on boingy springs and you think 'WOW, I've cracked this. Then the voice in the corner pipes up with "now go sitting" Yeah right!

haha don't know if picking up back legs has anything to do with straightness?
tell the voice in the corner to go take a break, your very happy with what you achieved today. I rarely do 'sitting' as it is much to difficult with dodgy hips/back :) however if I do want to play then I think I can manage a little bit today wink wink

humblepie

Visit site
I thought the ultimate goal was that horse starts when asked, stops when asked, jumps when asked and anything else is a bonus?

nikicb

www.facebook.com

I totally agree with this. I'm sure with my old mare staying in the arena at least guaranteed getting placed, then getting wtc in the right place earnt you a few more marks. It seems much more complicated this time round. ;)

daffy44

Visit site
Well, considering straightness is just about weighting all the feet evenly and appropriately, longitudinally and laterally, I'd say so. It's all about the most efficient, stable, long lasting mechanism.

This!! Also straightness is needed for everything at every level, so yup, start now!

Nicnac

Visit site
Hence the wide-eyed stares of amazement when I say to people I have to leave a bit early as have a riding lesson or come into work puffing as just had one at 7am and they retort:

"Why on earth are you having lessons. You've been riding forever"

Yep - and I'm still crap at it!

JFTDWS

Visit site
It's amazing how complicated even counting to two can be! It's also amazing how many ways to trot a circle there are, and how different they can look...

TarrSteps

Visit site
Hence the wide-eyed stares of amazement when I say to people I have to leave a bit early as have a riding lesson or come into work puffing as just had one at 7am and they retort:

"Why on earth are you having lessons. You've been riding forever"

Yep - and I'm still crap at it!

My reply to that is you only have to be on the roads for 5 minutes to realise how many people who have driven 'forever' could stand to take some lessons!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I thought the ultimate goal was that horse starts when asked, stops when asked, jumps when asked and anything else is a bonus?

Is aiming for this where I have been going wrong all this time? Although I admit sometimes getting him started is a challenge ;)