Throwing head up when taking bridle off

angel01

Visit site
Hi

Can anyone help and advise me please

My horse has recently starting to throw her head up when taking her bridle off, she has never done this before so finding it frustrating for both of us and scares me to death because i know it car,nt be nice for her.

she is in a pelem bit due to her being very strong has had this bit now for quite some time like i say without any problems but she recently she wont let go of the bit/

i have tried taking the bridle of slowely one ear then the next then i pause i slowely lower the bridle as soon as we get to the last bit the head comes right up and she proper tenses up which makes it worse to get the bit out, i have even tried giveing her a treat not helping at all need help

can anyone suggest anything else that i could try

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Has she got a fright when the bit is removed and has caught it in her teeth, this can cause panic.
You can open the bridle rather than removing it, by this I mean unbuckling it so that the bit falls out of one side of the mouth, then pull the rest of the bridle over the head.
When you take the bridle off, in the normal way, have your hand in such a way as to stop her put her head up suddenly, ie right hand round the nose
Ask her to keep her head down with a treat.

Last edited:

mandwhy

Visit site
The tb I ride did this for a short time after an incident lunging off the bit and pulling himself in the mouth when rearing. Have not involved the bit in any lunging since as he gets very worked up bless him.

He seemed quite panicky at me approaching to take off bridle after riding and could sometimes be the same putting bridle on but not really as bad. I took the noseband off for a few days so we had only got to undo throatlash and slip the rest off. I would spend a bit of time after riding giving him a few healthy treats and a brush after saddle off with bridle on, touching his face and ears and pulling the straps gently until he didn't mind, then I could undo it and slip it off being careful to avoid the bit banging. He responds very well to vocal praise/reassurance and the odd treat

Lilly79

Visit site
My boy did the same for a while, I took of the bridle really carefully ear by ear and kept my right hand on his nose to hold his head down. That way he couldn't throw his head up and hurt himself with the bit.
Took a few months, but he stopped doing it now.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Holding on to the bit is usually considered to be a sign of discomfort. So, combined with the throwing up of the head, it sounds like you need an EDT to check out the teeth. It is also possible that the bars have been bruised, if the horse has been pulling strongly against you.