throwing his head

lukeylou

Visit site
My ISH gelding Luka is starting to get very fussy with his head when i'm hacking.

When I put on his bridle he shakes his head about when i try to put it on, i have two bridles and he does the same with both (ones a jeffries IR comfort) not drastically, just like saying he doesn't want it on. i've checked they fit and they do.

In the school he's fine, works really nicely and softly, i have a regular lessons with a good instructor and she always says he looks very relaxed.

However, the problems start when we go hacking. I hack him in the same bit he has to school (french link snaffle), but use a martingale, or breastplate with martingale to keep control of his head a bit more, and something to hold on to!
to trot and canter he's generally alright but in walk he almost constantly throws his head about quite dramatically up and down. yesterday he was even throwing his entire body about too! unseating me slightly. he does it once or twice and then goes back to plodding along, then again etc.

what is he telling me? the only difference is that he's in a martingale, could this be making him act this way?

tea and biscuits for getting this far!

lukeylou

Visit site
no, i'm planning on hacking him without tomorrow. i just wasn't sure whether there was some obvious other reason for it.

lukeylou

Visit site
he's 5, and i've had his back and teeth checked and they're fine.
i don't think it could be this as he's fine most of the time.

BentleyBelly

Visit site
Some kind of allergy?! My friends horse does this in the summer when the pollen count is high. Do you hack out past anything that he could be allergic to...farmyards, crop fields etc. Doesn't seem to be that time of year for it though.

wizbit

Visit site
my horse is the same, ive worked out he does it wen he's excited, he (very unfortunately) does it at shows too!! lol. thats showing out the window as in the line up he stands and nods like the dog out of the churchill advert! ohhh yes
laugh.gif