Throwing in the towel :(

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
You've had 2 polar opposite responses above but I would consider both: I've seen both work really well.

At my old yard, any injured horse was box rested and then rehabbed living in till fully fit. The trouble with intermittent/restricted turn out (as you are discovering) is that horses go nuts on it and re-injure themselves so it's a vicious cycle. But horses who live in seem to adapt to it quite well. At least the ones on that yard all did. Then they were turned out again when robust enough to survive the hooleying.

OR turn out 24/7 with other horses who are out 24/7 - not in and our being ridden but out and left. I did that with Max last winter. Because none were ever going in or out they were really calm and chilled.

Good luck. I know it is really hard.

foxy

Visit site
I know what you are going through and understand how you feel, my youngster was injured earlier this year and after a week at the vets came home to box rest and was an absolute nightmare. I couldn't turn my other horse out or ride as my youngster lost the plot completely. I was told not to even bring him out of the stable to muck out.....as you can imagine this made the it even worse. After another 4 weeks and further scans it was decided he could go out in a small pen (sedated initially) ...fast forward 3 months he is out 24/7 still in a smaller field on his own next to the others but he has chilled. In fact he has just been rescanned and the vets were amazed at his progress. Don't get me wrong he had his moments but has now chilled and I can bring him in on his own to do his rehab. I did get a behaviourist out to help me as he had started biting really badly so would recommend this. Good luck I know exactly how you feel.

Louby

Visit site
Gosh thank you so so much for your replies. I apologise for not replying sooner but we've had work done in the house so Ive not been able to get on here until now and also sorry if what I write below doesnt include a reply to any of your suggestions, I have read them all so Im not being ignorant or dismissing any, Im just overwhelmed by the support you have given.

So here I go :)
Her injuries wernt as a result of her conformation, my vet said shes lovely put together, shes just been terribly unlucky. She had a slight stifle ligament strain, so it was decided to turn her away, 24/7 for the Summer but she had other ideas, we managesd a week, then she got injured again but quite badly.
SHe had been with a herd of 9 mares, all lived out 24/7 bar one and basically never came in. I never thought there would be a problem, shes kind, doesnt kick and had never had a problem previously. I was told by other liveries that she just got in the way when the boss mare flipped, which I realised was quite often, she just doesnt seem to realise that some horses arent nice! She was kicked a number of times, one getting her right on the back of her cannon, above the fetlock and her annular ligament was damaged, the suspensary branch was slightly injured too. She had 4 weeks box rest and there was no way she was going back out with them so I found a small private yard with 2 other horses for her to recouperate. She spent 6 weeks next to these in a smallish pen that we gradually made bigger then she went out with the 2 as I was starting to find it really hard sitting there 2 hrs before work, getting her in, then again after work, so after chatting to the vet we decided to put her with the others to basically give me a break and for her to be a horse! Day one the mare doubled barrelled her, then they all seemed great together. Day 2 everything was fine, I got her in later and she had been injured and I thought I cant do this anymore, emotionally, physically and financially! So we are back in a section of the field.
During this she has been scanned regularly, she was healing great, then had a hoo haa in the field and made it much worse so surgery was mentioned, we scanned again and the vet was amazed how well she had healed, so surgery was now not an option and its just a case of keeping her quiet. Vet is or was confident she will come right.
Id love nothing more than to turn her away but Ive tried and failed. She thrives on having a job, we've walked her tonight and shes all gooey eyed afterwards and content.
She is being scanned again at the end of Sept, so we will see what that brings.
Its so sad, she is a lovely lovely girl and doesnt deserve any of this.
Ive ordered Valerian :)
If I forgot anything I apologise.
Oh shes a steel grey Irish Sports horse.
Big glass of wine if you got this far ha ha.

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if she needs to go out with boys, they are much nicer generally but so many yards keep them separately because often it is the mares that kick or the boys get over enthusiastic with their affections and become clingy.

I have 2 mares here and the bigger one is great out with 3 boys but horrid if out with the other, much smaller and totally inoffensive pony mare, she has done no damage but only because the pony is quick to move and keeps away.
Out with the boys she is flirty but my big horse is boss and although they play he will stop her if she gets too bold and she seems to respect him without either getting hurt.

Louby

Visit site
I think she would be great out with the boys, sadly we dont have that option anywhere in the area. I do think she could be a dominant mare but in a nice way, if that makes sense. Ive never seen her do anything more than toss her head about. She thinks shes a proper Princess lol. Despite everything Ive said, I worship this horse, she is stunning and has a beautiful kind trusting temperament. I want nothing more for her to come right, Im just tired, its been such hard work for what feels like forever. She was in a girl only herd previously, she nannied a foal and they all got on great. She loves the gelding on the yard Im on now. I think I had a proper melt down when I wrote this post but I always said Id give her til Spring before making a decision, then shes had 12 mths. I just wish there was another stable as I would buy another horse, a gelding lol and turn her out with him but I dont have that option. Land is a premium where we live, loads of horses, large yards with big herds so I feel very lucky to be where I am as I had hoped it would be perfect for her to get better.
I need to win the lottery so I can buy my own place lol!!!!