Thrush treatment

Pippity

Visit site
My horse has developed a touch of thrush in her forefeet. What's everybody's preferred treatment?

She's not good with her feet, so preferably something that doesn't involve holding them up for a long time. I'm not taking her shoes off, so nothing that involves that. (She's shod on vet advice, and has to be IV sedated for the farrier.)

Her field is as close to mud-free as you can get at this time of year - a bit around the gate, but the field itself is foggage which keeps the mud at bay.

PurBee

Visit site
Copper sulphate and zinc oxide dissolved in water....buy a tub of each for less than 20 quid and im only halfway through after 7yrs. really effective for all yukky foot pathogens.
Also use the copper oxide crystals on their own to shove into open white line issues, stops the bacteria travelling up the hoof wall, allowing it to grow out quickly.

holeymoley

Visit site
Kevin Bacon's Hoof Dressing. Not to be confused with hoof ointment etc . Very small container, around £16. Works brilliantly. Red horse stuff didn't do anything to my guy's.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Leovet hoof serum. Absolute miracle worker for even the most stubborn thrush. I'd never heard of it but my new horse came to me with very bad thrush, I was using ACV and hoof paste but it was taking it's time to resolve. My BF trimmer told me about this and it cleared it within a week

fburton

Visit site
Good squirt of sheep foot rot spray
Under advice from a vet, I have used a dilute (3%, or maybe it was 5%) solution of formalin as used in sheep footbaths - squirted into the affected crevices of the hoof, and kept well away from skin. It was very effective in knocking the thrush on the head and also hardened and dried up that part of the hoof. It's nasty stuff though and you don't want to breath in formaldehyde fumes or get any of the solution in your eye (as I did once).

Fransurrey

Visit site
Copper sulphate and zinc oxide dissolved in water....buy a tub of each for less than 20 quid and im only halfway through after 7yrs. really effective for all yukky foot pathogens.
Also use the copper oxide crystals on their own to shove into open white line issues, stops the bacteria travelling up the hoof wall, allowing it to grow out quickly.
This, but mixed with cotton wool fibres so it can be packed into crevices. As you don't have much mud, you could also make up a hoof clay. Use bentonite clay as a base, then just add copper sulphate or zinc oxide to it.

OdinsMum

Visit site
Clean once a week with warm salt water and spray on apple cider vinegar every other day. If it’s bad wash out twice a week and spray with sheep foot rot spray once a week. Pick feet out morning and night, make sure the bedding is clean and dry.

thommackintosh

Visit site
Bactakil 55 (for sheep foot rot), but only once a week max, and only if thrush is present. For prevention, a spray with Red Horse sole cleanse once every few days.
Though I've experimented this year by adding a couple of drops of lavender, eucalyptus and tea tree oils to a spray bottle filled with water and adding a few skooshes (technical term ?) to his bed each time I add fresh shavings. They're antibacterial, antifungal, won't do any harm and I reckon the lavender helps him have a restful night's sleep. ? Touch wood we've had none this year.