thrush!

budley95

Visit site
This is in veterinary and hoof care as well. So long story short, pony has had thrush for a month, had the vet 3 times for it, farrier twice, has had peroxide, iodine and some horrible green spray. Pony is in a lot of pain(friends pony, she doesn't have internet so asked me to see if I can find anything more out), is on Bute and box rest where he's lame from it. Cannot shift this thrush at all. Any ideas? He's being funny about feet for obvious reasons so best picture I could get.

DSC_0234_zps8a048ece.jpg

any ideas on how to shift it? Lots more detail In the other thread but getting stressed with my phone deleting things as im writing it now!

AnotherNewbie

Visit site
Chunks suffers with thrush a lot as he has deep crevices around his frogs. Someone told us that different bacteria's/fungus's cause thrush in different areas of the country. At the old yard, we used to use Milton on it (stuff you sterilise baby bottles with). Chunks won't stand with his feet in a bucket so we used to pour in all over and try and hold his foot up so it stayed in the crevices for as long as we could make it, but suspect tubbing would be easier if possible! At the new yard this wasn't so effective, so have combined it with syringing sudocreme right in as well. Clotrimazole (caneston) is next on the list, I know it's a different fungus to vaginal thrush but guessed as it's an anti-fungal it is worth a shot!

splashnutti1

Visit site
my horse has just had a bad bout of thrush i have been washing with salt water, hibi scrub and dettol before applying peroxide , then drying his feet as best i can and applying terramycin and fly summer cream has taken about 4 weeks but he is finally looking better.

Mty lad also had maggots in his frog from it which caused deep crevices and he has been lame due to this xx

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Is box rest a good idea for thrush, would have thought that would make it worse. I use Terramycin foot spray for everything, its for foot rot in sheep and is a POM but the vet may prescribe it. Although from the colour of its hair maybe they have already tried it.

rachyblue

Visit site
I swear by NT Dry, as a powder it helps dry it out (also works for mud fever).

Also what is pony bedded on? A good dry shavings bed may help.

splashnutti1

Visit site
Is box rest a good idea for thrush, would have thought that would make it worse. I use Terramycin foot spray for everything, its for foot rot in sheep and is a POM but the vet may prescribe it. Although from the colour of its hair maybe they have already tried it.

My vet said my boy was better out as long as the ground wasnt to boggy :)

budley95

Visit site
Hes on box rest where he's lame and his field is a bit trashed. He's on rubber matting with shavings and wet is removed 3 times a day. He's on adlib hay, hi fi with equivite and grass nuts in a ball to keep him occupied. They have tried terramycin and iodine and the one beginning with a that's an antibiotic spray alongside the peroxide. He won't let the farrier trim it back for obvious reasons. She's only had him 6 weeks so is starting to think he had it when she brought him :-(

putasocinit

Visit site
Farrier needs to cut away all that dead frog to leave a nice clean shaped frog, and balance the foot heels possily too high, then flush hooves with hibi scrub or even saline solution, salty water and tetcin spray. If stabled it has to be aclean clean bed as amonia will cause thrush to continue but best to turn lut, give some bute for the lameness until the thrush goes then stop bute. Really needs to be dealt with asap. If that frog is not tidied up it will never go away and can go deeper into the hoof. Poor pony

Kikke

Visit site
Oh that looks horrible, bless.
Red horse products. Swear by them. Our chap was lame over the winter with trush. Horrible smell and poor chap was in so much pain. Red horse sole cleanser and field paste really works, oh and hoof stuff in the deeper areas.
How does he keep in his stable is he reasonably clean because if he stands in this own wee etc it just get,s worse and turnout may be your best option. Good luck!

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Sounds like he needs the vet and farrier combined to provide sedation/pain relief to get the feet tidied up so the treatment can take effect. All these products work but its an uphill battle if the foot is a manky mess that needs trimmed.

Kokopelli

Visit site
My farrier has also had to deal with maggots in the hoof a few times before the cold came, it may be worth looking into it. I agree with FW get the vet to sedate so farrier can do a proper job.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Sounds like he needs the vet and farrier combined to provide sedation/pain relief to get the feet tidied up so the treatment can take effect. All these products work but its an uphill battle if the foot is a manky mess that needs trimmed.

I'd agree with this. Doesn't look like 'just' thrush, to me, either. I think it's gone beyond that. Certainly with fungal nail infections, the toe nail responds by growing much thicker and I wonder if that's what's going on here. Unless that gets trimmed away by whatever means, the owner is always going to struggle. Poor lad.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

This.
Our farrier says there is no point in using peroxide - it's just smoke and mirrors. If we need to dry anything up we use tea-tree oil spray - anti-bacterial and fungicidal.

splashnutti1

Visit site

This ^^ is correct.

As i said previously my lad has had maggots and thrush, my farrier has been out every week to chop away any dead frog to allow me to get in to treat properly. He didnt need vet sedation but vet supplied terramycin and bute. vet is back next week at same time as my farrier to reassess. My lads thrush has gone now but its the crevices left behind that i am treating to help healing. :)

Fuzzypuff

Visit site
Mine has thrush, though not quite as bad as that, which developed when he was on box rest. I was using peroxide but it wasn't getting any better. Went back to Red Horse Sole Cleanse and within a couple of days it had improved, and now I'm applying Field Paste. Ill definitely stick with RH in future.

budley95

Visit site
Not my pony otherwise vet would have been sacked after 2 weeks with no improvement and new vet would have been found. A lot of people are saying canker now. Could someone tell me something about it or give me a decent link that I can print to give to the owner? I've never heard of it so don't know what's a good link or not?

doriangrey

Visit site
Not my pony otherwise vet would have been sacked after 2 weeks with no improvement and new vet would have been found. A lot of people are saying canker now. Could someone tell me something about it or give me a decent link that I can print to give to the owner? I've never heard of it so don't know what's a good link or not?

There's plenty to look at online, but you don't want to go scaring her witless as hopefully it isn't canker. She's best off bringing it up with her vet or getting a second opinion. Good luck and let us know how she gets on.

hol089

Visit site
My horse had what was thought to be thrush for while but now looks not dissimilar to the photo you have posted but only very localised in the centre of the frog.

Had the vet out who has diagnosed the beginnings of canker and advised cleaning his feet daily and drying thoroughly, applying peroxide leaving him in for a couple of hours and then spraying his feet with terramycin spray before turning him out. I would usually be against using peroxide but in the case of canker I very much doubt that other more gentle methods would work against such a stubborn infection and the only other option is surgical debridement if it was to worsen significantly.

Originally his feet were typically thrushy, ragged frogs and black smelly discharge but now 2 of them have cream discharge and the frog in the very centre has become cream, soft and spongy.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I know nothing about canker but if its thrush (or if canker is a similar thing) then he needs a deep bed 1 1/2 foot deep, brought right upto the door so the bed won't be kicked around much, and mucked out properly daily. All the wee goes to the bottom of the bed and he is always standing on clean bedding.

With diet its sugar that's bad for them. HiFi molasses free would be better than the normal HiFi. I don't know the sugar content of grass nuts but too much grass gives horses laminitis due to the sugar, so maybe change to Spillers high fibre cubes (which are hay replacer cubes) instead as they might be lower sugar? If there's a large supply of hay from one source, it may be worth having the nutritional content of that analysed too.

Coconut oil is meant to be anti fungal. I bought some to soften my hair, its solid and comes in a tub from Holland & Barratt. Lavender oil is antibacterial I think, as is tea tree oil. I don't know if either of these are stronger than what the vet gave you.

Hope pony recovers soon.

budley95

Visit site
I'll grab her those bits as anything's worth a go now. He won't stop stamping his feet at the moment so think the little chunky monkey has got mites as well. Poor boy. Same vet's been out again and said carry on with peroxide! She's now spent over £500, no closer to finding out what's going on and insurance won't cover it! Same as they wouldn't cover her colt when he got a horrible infection from gelding 2 months ago, poor lady £1200 to find for vets fees after just buying a house where the electrics all blew and insurance said she wasn't covered for electrics either. Makes you wonder why we bother with it sometimes!

budley95

Visit site
Quick update. Different farrier person that goes around the world for whw and knows feet better than any vet, 90 sure it's canker. Need biopsy to be sure but still :-(

doriangrey

Visit site
Quick update. Different farrier person that goes around the world for whw and knows feet better than any vet, 90 sure it's canker. Need biopsy to be sure but still :-(

Oh no, I was hoping I was wrong in suggesting it might be :( Have a look on google, there are forums dedicated to it, like laminitis. I do hope this will turn out well and let us know what happens because it's always good to hear experiences.