Thrush

Captain Bridget

Visit site
I think Larry has a bit of thrush in his front left foot, the sole is chalky and it's smelly, however he's not lame on it at all.

This is the first time I've had to deal with thrush (he is my first (full loan) horse) so advise on how to deal with it would be greatly received!

I covered the sole in purple spray as my theory was it is antibacterial!

cptrayes

Visit site
You do not normally get thrush in a sole. Chalky sole is normally just sole that is trying to shed. I would just scrape it away with a hoof pick, there should be smooth hard stuff underneath.

For thrush, you don't need expensive medications. Thin bleach works well, as does 3% hydrogen peroxide. Both recommended to me by vets.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
You do not normally get thrush in a sole. Chalky sole is normally just sole that is trying to shed. I would just scrape it away with a hoof pick, there should be smooth hard stuff underneath.

For thrush, you don't need expensive medications. Thin bleach works well, as does 3% hydrogen peroxide. Both recommended to me by vets.

Would chalky sole cause it to be smelly? He gets a chalky sole relatively often, although on different feet, although usually fronts.

cptrayes

Visit site
Depends what he's been standing in, I think :) I would expect slime from thrush, not chalk, but bleach won't hurt a sole anyway.

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
It's worth hosing out the foot and having a good look at the frog. Thrush is a sneaky blighter and may not be easily visible, but the smell is a good indicator. Most thrush remedies are good for a minor infection, its personal preference and finding what works for the horse. I currently use Stockholm Tar, painted on with a paint brush, but Sheep foot rot spray, white vinegar, iodine mixed with sugar etc, are all good, cheap and effective.