Thrushy Feet

Serephin

Visit site
After the last farrier visit, last week, my boy seems to have thrushy feet - the farrier cut back the frog as usual an they didn't look bad at all, but since then seem to have got a bit stinky and crumbly in places.

I have been spraying his frogs with Frog Health disinfectant spray for the last few days - is there anything else I can do, bearing in mind he is out 24/7? I am paranoid his feet are going to get worse and something bad will happen!

any help/advice much appreciated.

FleabittenT

Visit site
My mare has a bit of thrush too. If you click on search in the red bar above, and type 'thrush hooves', there's loads & loads of threads with tons of advice/suggestions.

I'm currently just cleaning thoroughly with hibi & purple spraying, but have ordered some of the swan anti-bac mentioned in earlier threads.

Fingers crossed for getting it sorted! :)

horseriderdeb

Visit site
If you have a decathlon near you go in the horse section and they do something which is brilliant and not expensive. Its in a square bottle and is blue colour. Will look when I go down the yard for the name if the label is still on

K27

Visit site
Just a few things we tried when a horse of mine had a bout of thrush:

You could try Scrubbing out every day with a hard bristle brush and diluted hibiscrub/Betadine or salt water.

If it's bad- Engemycin spray is good at helping it clear up (think it's prescription only)

Get the Farrier to trim the frogs well back.

Sand can aggravate thrush too as can the weather.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
It's just iodine 10% I use. You will find it in the cattle section off a farmer shop such as mole valley farmers, country wide etc. It's cheap but stains your hands no end. My farrier carries it in his van as well.

Cahill

Visit site
cleared ours up with domestos,scrubbed in with an old toothbrush.
every day for about 3 days,then every other day for a week.

Puppy

Visit site
Another vote for plain old iodine. One of mine is prone to thrush if she's on boxrest (neither do EVER in the field!) and I find a good coverage of the soles with iodine every day keeps it away.

Serephin

Visit site
Wow, lots of suggestions, thank you everyone!

Looks like iodine is the most popular - I shall experiment and see how we get on.

:)