Thumbs up for not feeding horses

topsyturvy

Visit site
Why do people think it is ok to feed horses that do not belong to them. Just beggars belief. Although it is a shame what has happened to the little girl her mother should have known better, glad to hear they will now stay away and not feed them

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
almost nothing gets me as angry as someone feeding my horses! why they think they have the right I've no idea. Caught one numpty at the old place trying to feed them mouldy, slimy carrots-I asked her if she fed the livestock and she actually said 'of course not, they aren't mine' *head exploded*.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I am sure a claim is soon to follow too.

I feel sorry for the child, as it is obvious that the mother has encouraged her, and indeed photographed her.

I feel the mother could have been more careful about her daughter.

I do not feel she has a claim against the horse owner.

I am waiting for the first Daily Fail comment about the horse being PTS!

Equi

Visit site
I tried to read the article but there is so many adverts and crap on the fail pages it never loads.

What i want to know is, did the horse eat the thumb?

I hate when people feed. I can always tell when my horse has been fed cause he gets a bit more heady than usual. I had to tell YO to make sure people dont feed him (i always go early to the yard, so i generally don't see a lot of the liveries.) it also annoys me when people feed their own though, there is one who has quite a bolshy rude horse anyway and feeds it a treat any time it bits her pockets cause its so cute that it knows where the treats are teheee heeeeeee.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
If I have spotted people feeding horses, I do accost them politely.
The look on their faces when you ask them if they randomly feed other peoples dogs, cats or children is a picture. Well, feeding horses is the same I tell them.

Going into the field to feed? Well, can i come in your garden and give your some of your children (but not all) a Maccy D's?

Poor kid, but complete idiots for parents!

pennyturner

Visit site
Surprised the DM hasn't started a campaign for a 'dangerous nags act'. You can tell them right away by the breed... They're PIT Ponies*

(to be accompanied by file photo of a sneezing Shetland)

oldie48

Visit site
I feel very sorry for the child, she has a disability and a stupid mother, poor thing. It's not her fault. My neighbour told me they had bought a bag of treats to feed my horses but they wouldn't come to the gate could they go in the field to them. They are a very nice family, just ignorant around horses and when I explained why I didn't want them to, they were perfectly accepting. I'm taking the Mum, who is lovely, to the gala evening at Hartpury tomorrow, kill or cure. She'll either love it or be bored out of her mind!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
This drives me mad too, no-one ever tries to feed our Rotties, :p either at home or round and about, but the number of idiots who try to encourage the horses to catch themselves on our electric fencing, by leaning over the drystone walls, is ridiculous. Given that two of ours become balmy if fed carrots, it can be a real problem. We used to have a mare who was cereal and sugar intolerant, when we were at livery one elderly gentleman was politely asked not to feed her his threequaters of left over bread, he was eventually told in less polite terms not to feed our horses!

ShadowHunter

Visit site
Poor girl, totally irresponsible of the mother.
I saw a mother and little girl feeding my horse grass over the wall last summer. Rather annoying as she becomes rude and bolshy when fed from the hand.

willhegofirst

Visit site
My horse used to be a field by a public bridleway, I once asked a women who was feeding grass picked from the verge to the horses over the fence, who were of course squabbling about getting the grass if she would pay if my brand new rug was ripped because of her feeding them over the fence, her face was a picture.
As others have said, not sure why people think it's ok to feed someone else's animals in the first place. Poor girl I hope she makes a good recovery.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Poor kid, so sorry she had to suffer the consequences of her mothers' ignorance, who clearly encouraged her to feed the horses.

I can't stand when I see strangers feeding my horse or horses in general. People just don't realize how easy it is to harm a horse with food, and, no less important, how dangerous they can become oh-so-quickly. My own gelding bit on a young girls' finger just last week - she's the daughter of my good friend, with whom we keep our horses on the same yard. This child knows very well that she is not allowed to approach the horses on her own and that she is NEVER to fiddle with my horses lips or feed him, as he can become nippy.

Well, she wanted to show off to her friends who were visiting and the mother was away just for a minute... Started playing with his lips, as I was told, and a quick chomp later a finger was between his teeth and he was just biting down harder, until I ran (hearing her scream) and made him release. I felt utterly horrible, but the mother assured me it was by no means my or my horses' fault, and that the child should have known better. The injury was quite bad, but, luckily, nowhere as serious as with the girl in the article. I hope it will serve her and her friends as a very good reminder next time...

GirlFriday

Visit site
People on here complained about some of the jokey sab comments over the 9 yr old who sadly lost her life hunting.

This 9 yr old sadly lost her thumb doing something which, although not good etiquette, is usually a fair bit safer and we get this thread joking about it.

Sort of invites people to suggest the difference between the two girls is wealth and social standing of their parents. Which didn't reflect well on HHO IMO.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Sort of invites people to suggest the difference between the two girls is wealth and social standing of their parents. Which didn't reflect well on HHO IMO.

well thats a leap I don't see. most posters have blamed the mother (quite rightly) and I think most of us don't like our horses being fed by strangers hence the reaction. but a class issue?

Red-1

Visit site
People on here complained about some of the jokey sab comments over the 9 yr old who sadly lost her life hunting.

This 9 yr old sadly lost her thumb doing something which, although not good etiquette, is usually a fair bit safer and we get this thread joking about it.

well thats a leap I don't see. most posters have blamed the mother (quite rightly) and I think most of us don't like our horses being fed by strangers hence the reaction. but a class issue?

I think there is a big difference between a loss of thumb and loss of life. TBH if the girl who lost her life had actually lost her thumb only then I doubt we would even have heard about it, let alone many column inches in the Daily Fail. Is that an anti class issue? I don't think it is anything to do with class.

I think the difference between the two girls is that one died and one has a fairly minor injury in comparison!

Every poster is sympathetic towards the poor girl, it is a terrible thing to have happened. What has been questioned is the wisdom of her mother encouraging her to regularly go feed unknown horses with titbits.
Not sure you are comparing like with like here. In fact I am convinced you are not.

Last edited:

GirlFriday

Visit site
But no-one blamed the patents of the other 9 year old (and I'm not suggesting for a minute they should). Both children were involved in risky equestrian activities with the knowledge and support of their parents.

One set of parents get nothing but sympathy on here; the other nothing but condemnation.

Both sets of parents are responsible for encouraging their child to do something they enjoyed which ultimately hurt them. It seems a little harsh that only one set of parents is being blamed for that, the other is supported in their decision.

Just talking about the perception... The sabs did themselves no favours with their reaction to the hunt tragedy.

Agree feeding other people's animals isn't a great plan.

Also agree people have been nice about both girls (although the title of this thread is a bit insensitive, I mean what if the kid/her friend's read it?). I feel for the parents too though.

Last edited:

Red-1

Visit site
But no-one blamed the patents of the other 9 year old (and I'm not suggesting for a minute they should). Both children were involved in risky equestrian activities with the knowledge and support of their parents.

One set of parents get nothing but sympathy on here; the other nothing but condemnation.

Both sets of parents are responsible for encouraging their child to do something they enjoyed which ultimately hurt them. It seems a little harsh that only one set of parents is being blamed for that, the other is supported in their decision.

Just talking about the perception... The sabs did themselves no favours with their reaction to the hunt tragedy.

Agree feeding other people's animals isn't a great plan.

Also agree people have been nice about both girls (although the title of this thread is a bit insensitive, I mean what if the kid/her friend's read it?). I feel for the parents too though.

Before you edited your reply I was also going to say that the title of the thread was insensitive. The comments not so.

No excuse for the thread title joke really, but maybe it is because the family went and sold the story to the Daily Fail, along with "Sad Faces" for the photo, and also red circling the "Culprit", which would not be nice if it were your horse. There is a sense of entitlement in the mother's comments, that it was only supposed to be a bit of fun, and that they always do it, or something along those lines.

The other family have been nothing but dignified, even emphasising that no one was to blame. The "Culprit" horse or human have not been red circled for all to see, as there is no "Culprit", it is an accident.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com

I don't think this is a valid comparison. One was encouraging the child to do something on their own horse with the requisite knowledge and understanding of the risks, another with a random strangers horse with apparently no understanding or attempt to research. I think the reaction would have been different to the terrible death of the child if she had been plonked on a friends pony having never ridden before.

The other big difference is the reaction of the parent involved, at no stage does the mother of the poor girl whose finger was bitten off seem to take any responsibility for what happened or even suggest that what she was doing may have been stupid / unwise. "I never thought an animal could be capable of doing this, certainly not a horse". She then mentions trying to get the poor child to go back to the field again, presumably to feed the ponies again!!

It is also a sore subject for many of us having had the constant battle to stop people feeding our horses. I don't know where / when it was stated that everyone has the right to feed other peoples horses whatever, whenever and wherever they like with no reference to the impact on their behaviour, waistline and health but many people seem to think that this is an inherent right.