Thunderbrooks Daily Essentials

HelenBack

Visit site
I was just looking at this and really like the look of it. The spec seems to suit what I'm looking for well and I like the philosophy behind the company and their products.

The only thing that put me off slightly was the inclusion of blue-green algae at the end of the ingredients list. Further investigation has revealed that this actually in the form of spirulina. I know this is currently being hailed as a new superfood but I'm sometimes a bit dubious of these sorts of claims. I also wondered if it might make it taste a bit yukky and put my horse off eating it.

So I suppose I have a few questions:

1. Has anybody fed the Daily Essentials to their horse and did they actually eat it or did they refuse it?
2. Have you seen benefits or no difference from feeding it?
3. Is anybody aware of any actual risks or side effects from feeding spirulina or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks.

galaxy

Visit site
1. Yes I have and do (I swop between that and base mix depending on my mares condition) I feed it because my mare has hind gut problems and colics and it's has massively improved the condition and (massive touch wood!) has not colicked since March. There are a few horses at my yard now on it, one is v v v fussy and eats it no prob. It's not a large quantity to hide in a feed.

2. Sorry kinda answered that in number 1 lol

3. I personally (not my horse!) have ME. I had a really bad spell this time last year and all my usual management techniques did not work. A few friends recommended spirulina and within days I felt so much better.

HelenBack

Visit site
Thank you both, that's reassuring to know and the glowing testimonial galaxy is really helpful.

Do you find any difference in your mare between when you're feeding the daily essentials and the base mix. I understands that the base mix has more calories and so might be better for winter time but mostly I think the vitamin and mineral breakdown looks better on the daily essentials. Perhaps I'm worrying over small differences though.

galaxy

Visit site
Thank you both, that's reassuring to know and the glowing testimonial galaxy is really helpful.

Do you find any difference in your mare between when you're feeding the daily essentials and the base mix. I understands that the base mix has more calories and so might be better for winter time but mostly I think the vitamin and mineral breakdown looks better on the daily essentials. Perhaps I'm worrying over small differences though.

I didn't really analyse the vits and mins particularly as I was mainly after the yea sacc and biomoss. I was under the impression they gave the same amounts when fed at the recommended amount, but base mix has the linseed, rice bran and biomoss. But no I haven't noticed any behavioural difference. Her coat is super shiny at the moment on the base mix, and she had been on standard micronised linseed for years. Healthy is coming from the inside out :)