Thunderbrooks Daily Essentials

HelenBack

Visit site
Does anybody feed this and can you recommend it if so please?

I really like the specification but as it's an unknown brand to me I'm a bit wary of just going out and buying it. My horse is generally pretty healthy but does suffer from allergies, which rules a lot of feeds out and his hooves can become brittle and break off during the summer. The only thing that does bother me with the Daily Essentials is that it's a bit low in Biotin but then if I find something that has enough Biotin in it tends to be low in something else!

I'd be pleased to hear any reviews anyway.

supsup

Visit site
I haven't used the Thunderbrooks supplement. But if you are looking for something similar, you could compare to ProHoof (20mg biotin, and slightly higher zinc/copper) or EquiVita (significantly higher zinc/copper as sulfates, but no biotin added) and buy biotin separately e.g. from the Pro-Earth shop. That way you could add as much or little biotin as you like, and it's pretty economical if you buy a larger bag. The ProHoof has wheatfeed as a bulking agent in it though, no sure if that's something your horse can't have.
Or you could just buy a bag of biotin and top up the Thunderbrooks supplement.

D66

Visit site
I used TB, both the base mix and daily essentials for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. Horses have never looked better. Our ex racer had his only winter not losing weight whilst on the base mix, which I understand is like the daily essentials with linseed added.

HelenBack

Visit site
I haven't used the Thunderbrooks supplement. But if you are looking for something similar, you could compare to ProHoof (20mg biotin, and slightly higher zinc/copper) or EquiVita (significantly higher zinc/copper as sulfates, but no biotin added) and buy biotin separately e.g. from the Pro-Earth shop. That way you could add as much or little biotin as you like, and it's pretty economical if you buy a larger bag. The ProHoof has wheatfeed as a bulking agent in it though, no sure if that's something your horse can't have.
Or you could just buy a bag of biotin and top up the Thunderbrooks supplement.

Thanks for this. I've looked at the ProHoof and Equivita but can't quite get my head around them adding minerals only and not vitamins. I'm sure that's no problem at all in the summer but I worry that something would be missing in the winter. Maybe I've just bought into the big companies' gimmicks though? Adding biotin to the Daily Essentials is definitely an option but I guess I'm just being lazy and trying to get everything in one bag. Not sure that's going to work though!

I used TB, both the base mix and daily essentials for a couple of years and have been very happy with it. Horses have never looked better. Our ex racer had his only winter not losing weight whilst on the base mix, which I understand is like the daily essentials with linseed added.

This is good to know, thank you.

galaxy

Visit site
I've used it and a couple of my friends too for over a year now and recommend it. All have done really well on it. Even my physio commented on how much stronger my mare looked and if anything she has done less work ha ha (and had a balanced diet from another brand previous)

supsup

Visit site
Thanks for this. I've looked at the ProHoof and Equivita but can't quite get my head around them adding minerals only and not vitamins. I'm sure that's no problem at all in the summer but I worry that something would be missing in the winter.

The key vitamin to pay attention to is vitamin E. It's in fresh grass, but not in hay, so in winter you definitely want to supplement Vit E. Most of the other vitamins are not so critical because the horse can either produce them himself, or they are abundant in the diet.

Pro Hoof contains Vit E, and a version of the Equivita ("Plus") also has Vit E, plus rosehips as a natural source of Vit C.
For horses with digestive issues, Vit B supplementation may make a difference, but a horse with a healthy gut can generally get all the B vitamins from the bacteria in his gut. That said, biotin is a Vit B, and people still think it helps to supplement that, so maybe it would apply to other Vit Bs as well.

This is a pretty good article on the topic:
https://forageplus.co.uk/vitamins-for-horses-what-do-horses-need/

Esmae

Visit site
I feed it to mine. 2 oldies, one of whom is 27 and looks marvellous, and a youngster who has grown like a weed and looks fabulous. thoroughly recommend it.