Thyroid Carsinoma

phizzogs

Visit site
Hi, my mare has a lump just behind her jaw. It has been diagnosed, after a byopsy as a thyroid carsinoma. Vets are advising she needs to has it removed under general anesetic due to major blood vessels around the lump, also if it grows bigger it could restict her breathing or efferct her ability to eat, or could turn into a cancer and spread into her lungs.
would be great to hear from people who have had this procedure done(although i am told this is quite rare), with any advise or words of wisdom for one very worried owner :(

JingleTingle

Visit site
I have no personal experience of this but do recall several years back an acquaintance had a horse with something that was very like your description.

On veterinary advice (in this case at any rate) the 'lump' was left alone on the understanding that in horses this very rarely progress's to the scenario your vet's seem worried about. The horse is still alive now, although retired due to old age and unrelated soundness problems.

Obviously your vets have seen and tested this lump, and have based their advice on their findings. I am unclear from your post exactly what they are saying? Is it already diagnosed as a carcinoma or are they saying it could become one without surgical intervention?

If they are saying it could become cancerous without surgery I would be very inclined to get a second opinion before agreeing to surgery. Purely my opinion and I am NOT a vet of course.

Out of interest, are you insured and are your vets aware that you are insured?

phizzogs

Visit site
Thank you for your reply
Yes the vets have diagnosed it as a carcinoma, so they are worried if left untreated it could turn nasty and spread. Having said that they have also said it may never do anything and just stay as it, but I suppose all vets air on the side of caution and advise it be removed.
Yes she is insured, but not certain the insurance will cover it as the lump has been there over 12 months as was previously thought to be a lymphnode.
The vets are aware that her insurance may not cover the surgery but would still advise she be referred and have it removed. :-(

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
In humans, thyroid cancers will readily take up the radioactive form of iodine. This then kills all or part of the thyroid depending on the level of iodine given. No surgery is involved at all. Not sure if this can be done for horses at major centres. In any event, if the entire thyroid gland has to be surgically removed (or destroyed) then your horse will need to take oral thyroxine for the rest of his life.

skn0404

Visit site
Do you have any pics of the lump? Just asking as my horse has lumps either side of his neck and the vet doesn't know what they are..... you could take a look at my pic in my gallery and tell me if its anything like the lump your horse has? I'm really at a loss with my boy now :( Did your horse show any other signs/syptoms of illness? Thanks :)