Tia back to the vet tomorrow- high maintenance tortoise

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I cried myself to sleep so have woken up a bit headachey.

I’m trying to dwell on the whole situation but the vet said yesterday, that after they saw her liver it was 50/50 whether she would make it. I’m still very annoyed that I wasn’t given the option to call it a day while she was on the table, because we could have saved the last few days of distress for Tia. I’m so sad at how it’s ended, but Tia isn’t suffering anymore so that’s something.
I kept looking at her picture last night and bawling my eyes out. She had the most perfect little face and expression. God I miss her so much 🥺

I didn’t cry this much when my beloved Nan died. Whats wrong with me??

Yes, they should've called you, and of course in hindsight knowing the outcome, it's easy to think that if only they had called, you could've saved her from going through the last few days. But now that things happened the way they did, don't forget that they also thought that it was a 50% chance that she could've made it. If she had started to improve, and recovered, both she and you presumably would've been very happy the vet didn't call you until after surgery.
Also, considering how slow, torturous, and uncomfortable a natural death can sometimes be out in the wild, spending a few extra days not feeling well, but being warm, and having you lovingly trying to nurture her back to health, doesn't sound to me like a too bad way for anyone to spend their last days.

As others have already said, there's nothing wrong or strange with crying more after having lost your young tortoise, than after having lost your beloved Nan.
Grief can be so many things, but it's not a competition, and there's absolutely no correlation between the amount of tears you cry, and neither the amount of love, nor heartache you feel. Sometimes sorrow is intense, or bittersweet, or even gloomy, sometimes it makes you cry a lot, sometimes not at all, or anything in between. None of it makes one or the other kind of grief more noble or "right" than the other, it's just grief. It comes as it comes, and feels as it feels.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Kunoichi73

Visit site
Thank you everyone for your kind words. Dad buried Tia today and we placed her special rock over her grave (she had a rock that I had painted her name on that lived in her enclosure). We are also going to go to the garden centre and get one of those little tortoise garden figures to put there.
That's a lovely idea scats!

scats

Visit site
For anyone interested, Tia’s liver results came back and it was Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver), as expected. The disease was in the moderate stage but there was an also a large amount of inflammation in the liver and it was noted that this liver issue probably wasn’t something that had just happened recently.
This all links to her first having this high liver enzyme last summer after she stopped eating due to follicular stasis. Although she started eating again after the surgery, the damage was likely already done. Unbeknown to us, she was a ticking time bomb and it was going to get her at some point.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
For anyone interested, Tia’s liver results came back and it was Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver), as expected. The disease was in the moderate stage but there was an also a large amount of inflammation in the liver and it was noted that this liver issue probably wasn’t something that had just happened recently.
This all links to her first having this high liver enzyme last summer after she stopped eating due to follicular stasis. Although she started eating again after the surgery, the damage was likely already done. Unbeknown to us, she was a ticking time bomb and it was going to get her at some point.

Interesting to hear that you've gotten some answers @scats . Sorry to hear that she basically was living on borrowed time 😞. I'm also sorry that the borrowed time didn't last a bit longer.

Though I suppose it's also a bit amazing to think that her liver maybe already was irreparably damaged last year, and she still managed to go through the sterilisation surgery, and started eating, and acting all normal again afterwards.

scats

Visit site
I am so so sorry to have just caught up with this.

Poor little Tia :(

Thank you x

I miss her so much. I’ve listed all her stuff on Fb marketplace and preloved (probably over £600 worth of stuff there) for £100 but had no takers.
I imagine I’ll end up just giving it away, perhaps for a token £20 that I will donate to a tortoise charity (if I can find a legitimate one). I toyed with getting another but I just loved Tia so much.

I ordered a little notch bracelet in green, with two notches. One with her name on and the other with a little tortoise icon.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Thank you x

I miss her so much. I’ve listed all her stuff on Fb marketplace and preloved (probably over £600 worth of stuff there) for £100 but had no takers.
I imagine I’ll end up just giving it away, perhaps for a token £20 that I will donate to a tortoise charity (if I can find a legitimate one). I toyed with getting another but I just loved Tia so much.

I ordered a little notch bracelet in green, with two notches. One with her name on and the other with a little tortoise icon.

I agree with @poiuytrewq , any chance you could just put her stuff away in a corner/attic/garage somewhere, and see if you still feel the same when some time have passed? If you still feel *Never again* some months from now, you can always list her stuff for sale again, or give it away to a rescue later.
How many times have people not posted only here on HHO saying "That was my last one, I'm never owning another horse/dog/cat/etc", and some weeks or months later they either post saying that they're happy with/sticking to their decision, or they post saying "Oops, look what I found/what found me..."

Noone could replace Tia, but in the little I've read about Horsefield tortoises they sound like lovely pets, they're described as being big characters/personalities, inquisitive, and genuinely enjoying their owner's affection. It would be easy to understand if you later felt that you missed owning her so much, that you wanted to give it a new try.

Either way, the bracelet sounds like a lovely remembrance of Tia. I hope it looks exactly as you anticipated (or better) when it arrives.

SilverLinings

Visit site
I have only just seen your update @scats, and I am so sorry to read that you lost lovely Tia. I don't think Tia could have wanted for a better owner; it was clear from your threads that you tried everything that you could for her, and put her needs before your own feelings. Tia was an HHO animal I always loved reading about, and she will be much missed on here.

I second the posters above who say maybe holding onto Tia's things until the grief is less raw may be a good idea, but you will know what is the right thing for you. I hope that you are starting to feel a bit less awful, and that the grief continues to soften with time x

Ratface

Visit site
After King Kevin Kat was pts, I disposed of everything that had any connection to him - other than some lovely photographs of him. Now I can look at them and appreciate what a wonderful feline fiend he was and smile at the memories.
Madam Carrie Cat's sudden death on 11/04/24 has been very painful to try to come to terms with. I console myself (between floods of tears) that she had the best of everything in the few months that were together and an easeful death at the end.
Apparently, research indicates that I should be "over it" by 27/06/24. We'll see.

scats

Visit site
I have only just seen your update @scats, and I am so sorry to read that you lost lovely Tia. I don't think Tia could have wanted for a better owner; it was clear from your threads that you tried everything that you could for her, and put her needs before your own feelings. Tia was an HHO animal I always loved reading about, and she will be much missed on here.

I second the posters above who say maybe holding onto Tia's things until the grief is less raw may be a good idea, but you will know what is the right thing for you. I hope that you are starting to feel a bit less awful, and that the grief continues to soften with time x

Thank you xx
I met up with a few friends on Friday night and one of them asked how I was and she was sorry to hear about Tia. Another rolled her eyes and made a comment about that ‘stupid turtle’ 🙄
It’s funny how people think they can talk like this just because it’s not a dog or cat. That particular friend has a dog who she adores and I know she would be devastated if anything happened to him. I wouldn’t dream of saying ‘stupid dog’ to her if she lost him suddenly.

And people wonder why I prefer to spend most of my time with animals rather than humans!

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Thank you xx
I met up with a few friends on Friday night and one of them asked how I was and she was sorry to hear about Tia. Another rolled her eyes and made a comment about that ‘stupid turtle’ :)rolleyes:)
It’s funny how people think they can talk like this just because it’s not a dog or cat. That particular friend has a dog who she adores and I know she would be devastated if anything happened to him. I wouldn’t dream of saying ‘stupid dog’ to her if she lost him suddenly.

And people wonder why I prefer to spend most of my time with animals rather than humans!

Oh poor @scats , I'm both shocked, and not shocked to hear that someone actually said that to you. Nobody have said it to me, but I've sadly heard of others who has gotten told things like "It was just a dog/cat/horse/hamster/etc", and sadly if the pet belonged to either a smaller, more shortlived type of pet, or one of the less common types of pet, it seems to increase the risk for that you might get such an insensitive comment. Though one could've thought that at least someone who owns a beloved pet themselves would be more understanding.

On the other hand, sometimes I think people say such things when they can't handle grief, so they say it to try to make you hide that you're grieving from them, because then they can sort of ignore that grieving exists. Regardless of her reason for saying such an awful thing, it's clearly a hers problem, not yours.

Anyhow, don't forget that at least one of your friends is kind, and compassionate, asking about how you were, and sorry to hear about Tia.
{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Agree with others that it might be a good idea to put Tia’s things away until you can think more clearly and decide if you want another . It’s a very difficult decision that is very individual to each of us. Any pet , no matter how other people view them , are a part of your family and are important and your friend was very insensitive . Look after yourself x

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
My little notch bracelet arrived todayView attachment 139765

Aww, how sweet! I don't know if you had any or many shades of green to choose between, but I think those green colours looks great together.

I just wish there was a happier reason behind you getting yourself that bracelet. 💔
c045.gif

timefort

Visit site
I've only just caught up with this and I'm really sorry to hear about Tia's outcome. I've had tortoises for over 40 years so completely understand how they can claw their way into your heart (certainly not stupid turtles). Do you know what caused the initial follicular stasis? Apologies if you had already mentioned this, but your post made me realise how little I know about tortoises despite having owned them for so long.
Take care of yourself

scats

Visit site
I've only just caught up with this and I'm really sorry to hear about Tia's outcome. I've had tortoises for over 40 years so completely understand how they can claw their way into your heart (certainly not stupid turtles). Do you know what caused the initial follicular stasis? Apologies if you had already mentioned this, but your post made me realise how little I know about tortoises despite having owned them for so long.
Take care of yourself

They aren’t really sure what causes follicular stasis but it is a little more common in tortoises when they first come into sexual maturity around the age of 4. Its likely a miscommunication between brain and hormones that causes the ovaries to produce the follicles but then not release them, so they follicles grow and grow and never release and turn to eggs. If left they turn septic and kill the tortoise.

Tia was 4 when hers occurred and it was her first year of sexual maturity. The vets gave her a hysterectomy when she had them removed as it’s very likely to happen again once it’s happened once.

I have pictures of the surgery and the follicles if you are interested. I did post them on the original thread but happy to dig them out again.

scats

Visit site
That must have been quite a sad moment Scats. Hopefully someone will get some tortoise happiness with it all. ❤️

Thank you. It was harder than I expected and the space it was in looks so empty now.

But it went to a lovely lady who has inherited a tortoise off a relative, but it’s currently not in a suitable set up so she was delighted to have everything to make a perfect home for him. She said her children would love setting everything up.

So Tia and I have at least helped another tortoise have a lovely life. I just wish I had her still with me still. Life isn’t the same without her.