Tibia Plateau fracture how long before riding?

Onward Bound

New User
Visit site
Hi fractured friends! A dog ran full pelt in to my leg and I have a tibia plateau fracture, done 4 weeks non weight bearing another 2 to go, then it will be a gradual build up walking again. However I'd be interested to know how soon anyone rode post this injury, mine is my right leg so in theory I won't be true weight bearing like mounting etc.

Onward Bound

New User
Visit site
Minimum 6 weeks- this fracture needs to be allowed to heal really well and correctly otherwise your chance of knee arthritis causing major pain and problems goes very high.. any joint involving fracture should be taken seriously. Do as you are told and don’t risk permanent damage for a short term want.
Minimum 6 weeks- this fracture needs to be allowed to heal really well and correctly otherwise your chance of knee arthritis causing major pain and problems goes very high.. any joint involving fracture should be taken seriously. Do as you are told and don’t risk permanent damage for a short term want.
Thanks I intend doing exactly what I am told, I'm certainly not going to try and do anything before 6 weeks but mean't after you get back walking, probably didn't word my post very well.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Thanks I intend doing exactly what I am told, I'm certainly not going to try and do anything before 6 weeks but mean't after you get back walking, probably didn't word my post very well.
It did sound like you were planning to jump back on tomorrow! It’s difficult to say this early on and there are a lot of variables ... eg in theory the younger you are the quicker you heal - but I would plan to have 3 months off to be honest - at least it’s the miserable cold wet 3 months of the year.

Onward Bound

New User
Visit site
It did sound like you were planning to jump back on tomorrow! It’s difficult to say this early on and there are a lot of variables ... eg in theory the younger you are the quicker you heal - but I would plan to have 3 months off to be honest - at least it’s the miserable cold wet 3 months of the year.
Im old, so thought of having the winter off anyway, thanks for your reply much appreciated.

ImmyS

Visit site
I fratured my distal tibia a few years ago, so ankle joint affected. Fractured in September, came out of plaster in December and started riding again in March. I would say three months after out of plaster and back on your feet properly is a good guide :)

Andrew657

Visit site
I broke the tibia spine (kicked)/right leg in October 2002. (Age 34)

As I remember had 6 weeks non weight bearing in a brace, another 6 weeks of walking and physio.

Then started riding again in the January

Racheybabez84

Visit site
I broke the tibia and fibula in March and was back on a horse in July, But mine was a quite nasty break requiring surgery, pins and a plate so you may be quicker then me, I had 6 weeks in cast non weight bearing then 6 weeks in a moon boot, I was told not allowed to ride for 6 months

Onward Bound

New User
Visit site
I broke the tibia and fibula in March and was back on a horse in July, But mine was a quite nasty break requiring surgery, pins and a plate so you may be quicker then me, I had 6 weeks in cast non weight bearing then 6 weeks in a moon boot, I was told not allowed to ride for 6 months
Mine has been plated and pinned too, just the tibia though at the top, I will be happy to get riding again end of March, that'll be 6 months from the initial injury. I will see what the consultant says on Dec 5th fingers crossed.

greygirlie

Visit site
In 2015, at the tender age of 59, I had a right leg tibia plateau fracture that wasn't diagnosed for six weeks, after hitting the ground when pony span rather unexpectedly in a warm up arena. Got back on her but anything faster than walk hurt like hell. Drove lorry back to yard and then took myself to A&E. Didn't show on Xray, so was sent home with a knee injury leaflet. Next day was impossible to weight bear on it so they referred me for MRI, which took another 3 weeks. Had been walking round on it, driving and riding a couple of weeks after fall. Saw consultant for MRI review six weeks after the fall and found out it was fractured! He told me to wait a bit longer before I started playing tennis, but otherwise just be a bit careful. So just do what your body feels like.

Onward Bound

New User
Visit site
In 2015, at the tender age of 59, I had a right leg tibia plateau fracture that wasn't diagnosed for six weeks, after hitting the ground when pony span rather unexpectedly in a warm up arena. Got back on her but anything faster than walk hurt like hell. Drove lorry back to yard and then took myself to A&E. Didn't show on Xray, so was sent home with a knee injury leaflet. Next day was impossible to weight bear on it so they referred me for MRI, which took another 3 weeks. Had been walking round on it, driving and riding a couple of weeks after fall. Saw consultant for MRI review six weeks after the fall and found out it was fractured! He told me to wait a bit longer before I started playing tennis, but otherwise just be a bit careful. So just do what your body feels like.
Gosh I am 59 and wasnt diagnosed for 2 days as the Doctor missed it in A&E on the xray, luckily they were checked and I got called back in, it took a further 2 weeks for it to be operated on. You sound like you've had one hell of a journey hope all is well now?

Ani2013

Visit site
My daughter snapped the top of her tibia off coming off pony at high speed. She didn't ride for 5 months.
Wish you a speedy recovery xxx

greygirlie

Visit site
Gosh I am 59 and wasnt diagnosed for 2 days as the Doctor missed it in A&E on the xray, luckily they were checked and I got called back in, it took a further 2 weeks for it to be operated on. You sound like you've had one hell of a journey hope all is well now?
Yes fine now, thank you. The lovely consultant sent me for bone scans and found out I have pretty bad osteoporosis, so I was very lucky not to have fractured my hip. Has made me a bit cautious about what I ride, and upped my weight bearing activities.