Ticks

Clodagh

Visit site
In Essex we found the odd tick, maybe one a year.
In Devon we are taking 30+ off after every walk. They aren’t biting, we are taking them off before they get comfortable but oh my to the numbers.
They have nexguard and we will do that monthly and we comb them after every walk but any other ideas?
In Australia I used to feed bulk garlic as a repellent and they rarely picked them up but now that is poisonous is there anything to can feed them so make them less attractive?

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
Apparently, but I've never fully tested it, apple cider vinegar in their water helps repel them. Please resarch this because I am unsure.

I did try it with my doggo and he had no side effects. Ticks didn't stick but I'm not sure if that was the reason why.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Mine are all wearing a Seresto collar as the ticks here are rampant, so far so good. They are expensive so shop around but dont be tempted to buy off Ebay as there is lots on there really cheap which have to be fakes.

Nasicus

Visit site
Barrier do a Flea & Tick Repellent spray, something like that is probably your best bet, something you can apply topically that won't interfere with the nexguard.

Some people swear by Billy No Mates, but I tried it and didn't really see any benefit.
Funny you say that, my grandma swears by the stuff, but every time I go over I always manage to find a tick latched onto at least one of the dogs lol

Karran

Visit site
Funny you say that, my grandma swears by the stuff, but every time I go over I always manage to find a tick latched onto at least one of the dogs lol

Tbf I did it from February onwards until August in my trial, I didn't find that many at home but I took Mrs Spaniel to Scotland and when I got home she looked like she had scales, there's was so many of the gross things on her and HUGE!! Maybe the Scottish ones are a particularly tough strain!

Clodagh

Visit site
Mine are all wearing a Seresto collar as the ticks here are rampant, so far so good. They are expensive so shop around but dont be tempted to buy off Ebay as there is lots on there really cheap which have to be fakes.
Mine swim so I won’t use those. I expect Nexguard secretes as well but at least I can’t see it doing it!

Clodagh

Visit site
Tbf I did it from February onwards until August in my trial, I didn't find that many at home but I took Mrs Spaniel to Scotland and when I got home she looked like she had scales, there's was so many of the gross things on her and HUGE!! Maybe the Scottish ones are a particularly tough strain!
They breed them tough up there!

Clodagh

Visit site
Barrier do a Flea & Tick Repellent spray, something like that is probably your best bet, something you can apply topically that won't interfere with the nexguard.
lol
That sort of thing is what I had in mind. I’ll look into the stuff PF said.

Clodagh

Visit site
Apparently, but I've never fully tested it, apple cider vinegar in their water helps repel them. Please resarch this because I am unsure.

I did try it with my doggo and he had no side effects. Ticks didn't stick but I'm not sure if that was the reason why.
I could spray them in a weak solution before we walk? Or apparently lavender oil is good but I think that probably honks to a dog.

I will look into ACV in water.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Tried everything to no avail. I was picking multiple off in -5 degrees and snow! Best thing about moving away from Surrey was moving away from that tick hot spot!

Boulty

Visit site
I use icaradin on the horse for flies & am impressed & it does apparently work on ticks too & I believe it is safe for dog use so may be worth a go. Unsure how safe for lakes / rivers it is though

Clodagh

Visit site
Clodagh we use Bravecto from the vets, normally once, occasionally twice a year. Recommend it.
My old vet wouldn’t sell it, said it was too strong. I’m happy with the nexguard and I don’t think bravecto would make any difference as to how many they get in their fur?
I got one off T last night that had bitten her and it was dead, that’s 5 weeks after last Nexguard.

ZoeBlue

New User
Visit site
My dogs have had more ticks this year than usual, I use frontline plus but they are still getting them, the ticks are biting but dying on the dog and I then pull them off - is there anything more effective and may I ask why no one has mentioned frontline above?

Karran

Visit site
I tried Frontline last year. I think it might have been more effective for my dogs to have been washed in my herbal essence shampoo! Ended up with a MASSIVE flea infestation that took months to clear up, both still had ticks.