Tie-up Rails / Posts?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Looking to set up some sort of tie-up post or rail thingy at the field.

Am wondering what everyone else has?

Currently thinking of three fence posts sunk in a row, say three feet between each, and a round post sat across the top. Just wondering how to attach that to the three posts...

I'm sure there's a very simple and wonderful way of doing this, but brain is fried and is refusing to think about anything other than going to bed, which I refuse to do yet otherwise I'll be wide awake at 4 a.m.

a047.gif

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Why not just one post. Get a substantial fencing post/gate post, say 6" by 6" (150 cm x 150 cm).
https://the-landscape-centre.co.uk/product/fence-posts/

Dig a nice, deep, hole so that at least 60 cm is sunk into the ground. Use quicksetting postcrete. Put a tie ring on two sides.
Agreed :)
And if feeling flush, aquire a scaffold pole and then put in a 2nd solid post..... bore out a hole in each post and fix pole into each hole.
Or get a 10 or 12ft round rail, cut a V or U shape out of the tops of both posts and fix in.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
We put two up a few years for the RDA using telegraph poles. The uprights were part poles with a v notch cut into the top for the cross pole to sit in. A flat metel band was laid over and nailed to the upright to hold the cross pole down.

I would have taken a photo for you but the group have moved venue since then.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all ?

I was all ready to go get a scaffolding pole, but I like the idea of having a place to put the saddle, though the ned in question is a nosey bobber and will no doubt send the saddle flying.

Will go contemplate ?