Tight hamstrings - also in competition

sassyequine

Visit site
I have a 12 yr old WB who is working and competing at medium and the horse of my lifetime! He is turned out every day and hacks out on lanes and up and down grassy hills. He has regular physio and massage and stretches fantastically across his back in warm up and warm downs. The problem lies with his hamstrings which my vet describes as being tight and not helping him to step under behind.

He will continue physio etc but I'm interested to know of any ridden exercises any of you have used? My trainer is suggesting some pole work which will be new to him as he has never jumped, has no self preservation and spooks a lot! It will be good for his brain as well! Any other advice or experience is welcome? Thanks.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Do you do any ground stretching with him? ie pulling the leg forwards and then setting it down in stretch allowing the horse to replace it?

Kenzo

Visit site
My mare was given some gentle stretching exercises, bring the hind leg forward underneath the belly (like a farrier does) keeping the toe level and the leg straight (as in not pulled out or slightly under) and do circular clock/anti clockwise movements, but always warm the muscles first ( ie a good walk before hand) so your not pulling cold stiff muscles.

Walking over and reversing over raised poles (in hand).

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Can you get your physio to show you how to massage the hamstrings yourself so you can do it more on a daily basis?

Raised pole work is great (in hand/long reining as well as ridden)