Tightness in back

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Ok so i had our physio out for our 3 monthly check and yet again she was tight in her back. I know we need to get her to work long and low to open up her back and get her working correctly, we always do carrot stretches after riding, have been doing lots of turn on forehands, rein backs, leg yields, balance of hacking 3 times a week with schooling 3 times a week, sometimes lunge using equi ami, mare is very long in back so doesnt track up well and has tendency to use forehand too much - does anybody have some good suggestions for us to help with this as im struggling - i had started pole work but not sure if this will help her lift her back etc i know she is capable as she did work correctly before an accident - any ideas and help would be very much appreciated. Our instructor is fantastic and teaching us all the lateral work so i will run this passed her again but wanted to ask others on here as have found some great information on this forum.

nato

Visit site
Cavaletti is the best way to get her to lift her back. Invest in one of Ingrid Klimkes cavaletti books or follow 'Horse Physio' on Facebook. Lots of excellent exercises.

Also hillwork in walk is a great way to get her to stretch over her back.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Cavaletti is the best way to get her to lift her back. Invest in one of Ingrid Klimkes cavaletti books or follow 'Horse Physio' on Facebook. Lots of excellent exercises.

Also hillwork in walk is a great way to get her to stretch over her back.
Thanks nato i had seen inglids book mentioned b4 so will invest in one - i have just bought gillian higgins pilates mand stretching which is very helpful as well - will do some more hill walks as well - thankyou

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would get a good vet to have a good feel along the dorsal spines and trot up and lunge on the hard and soft session .
Personally from experience I would just get the area xrayed and put your mind at rest .
Recurring muscle tightness is often the canary warning you something's going wrong

bubsqueaks

Visit site
I would get a good vet to have a good feel along the dorsal spines and trot up and lunge on the hard and soft session .
Personally from experience I would just get the area xrayed and put your mind at rest .
Recurring muscle tightness is often the canary warning you something's going wrong
thanks goldenstar i will bare this in mind, our trouble is she recovered from tetanus several years ago despite being vaccinated and both vet and physio said could be after effects of that but i just want to do my best for her. Its been a very steep learning curve as ever!!

bubsqueaks

Visit site
What was the accident, how long ago, what rehab/treatment did she receive and has she been signed off by the vet?

Accident was 4 years ago now - puncture wound, then tetanus, 11 days at Rossdales, 3 months rest, 1 year bringing back into work slowly, despite having insurance cover for rehab none recommended by top vet in country!! 2 Vets stay no lasting effect of tetanus & carry on as normal.

TPO

Visit site
Has she been seen by anyone, since leaving Rossdales, apart from your usual vet and this physio?

Sometimes a new set of eyes on a situation can help. Also sometimes different therapies work for different horses; I've known horses improve with McTimoney-Corely that didn't with physio and vice versa.

Where was the puncture wound?

Do you have lessons with a trainer regularly? Have they noticed any change in your horses way of going? How does horse feel before/after physio session? When was her saddle last checked? Does physio check the fit each visit?

The books by Amanda Sutton (I think that's her name) - The Injured Horse (my preferred one) and The Injury Free Horse - have exercises but also explain anatomy, function and different therapies really well. Amanda was the Team GB equine physio

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Our physio incorporates McTimoney into her technique but yes I agree maybe a fresh approach.
Interestingly the puncture wound was on her right hind - her left rein being her weakest hence correlation to original injury site!
We changed trainers 6 months ago & she has vastly improved.
Saddle checked December.
Love the sound of that book so will take a look.
Has she been seen by anyone, since leaving Rossdales, apart from your usual vet and this physio?

Sometimes a new set of eyes on a situation can help. Also sometimes different therapies work for different horses; I've known horses improve with McTimoney-Corely that didn't with physio and vice versa.

Where was the puncture wound?

Do you have lessons with a trainer regularly? Have they noticed any change in your horses way of going? How does horse feel before/after physio session? When was her saddle last checked? Does physio check the fit each visit?

The books by Amanda Sutton (I think that's her name) - The Injured Horse (my preferred one) and The Injury Free Horse - have exercises but also explain anatomy, function and different therapies really well. Amanda was the Team GB equine physio

TPO

Visit site
Has there been any change in hoof/shoe wear? Also is there a marked difference between both hinds and both fores with shape/size/wear?

If she gets a clean bill of health from the vet(s) then it might be looking into "straightness training" to help her go back to moving how she did prior to the accident. There was a thread on here recently about it and you can read up about it on the "Horse Talk" site (access it via the Forage Plus website via google). Klaus Schoniech (sp) has written a book about it and Forage Plus hold lecture/demos that you can take your horse to.

It might be she was compensating and has adjusted to that new way of moving so needs a bit of help to get straight and use herself correctly (if nothing else is amiss)

Good luck :)

alainax

Visit site
Does she rush or is lazy? Basic things like many many transitions may help to get her off the forehand, tracking up, get into self carriage and swing through her back.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions - Im going to try them all! Starting with Ingrids book coming in the post! My brilliant instructor is going to help me with some straightness training this weekend & looking at going to some clinics. Am going to do more transitions and incorporate more hill walking & hopefully cavaletti work once read book! I love this forum its so very helpful - thanks guys.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Forgot to say I am also going to speak with my vet when he comes out next week for jabs & teeth, regarding issues - thankyou.