Tildren 34 days on

TequilaMist

Visit site
and no change to how mare going. Mare had Tildren and steriod injection 34 days ago for bonespavin. Should I have noticed something by now? She is just the same as before when ridden and have had to put her back on Danilon .

Immy.C

Visit site
Did the vet not say how long to wait before you expect to hopefully see a change? Is it the horses first lot of treatment?

Rebels

Visit site
Tildren made no difference to mine, short term steroid did work but vet wanted to let tildren take effect so spent time with a really grumpy horse until vet put in a long term steroid. May be worth another tildren though. Mine isn't 100℅ yet but devils claw is enough extra to keep him happy.

Squeak

Visit site
Is this her first one? Vets injected mine with steroids and when he didn't improve we got a second opinion who found that the lameness was actually an entirely different problem and that he has no problem with arthritis. Vets can be very quick to assume that it is arthritis making a horse lame!

ETA: My other one who did definitely have arthritis wasn't helped by Tildren either but sadly he had other problems as well so was retired so I never investigated why it didn't work, so sorry not much help!

Last edited:

Copperpot

Visit site
Mine had hocks injected and Tildren about 9 weeks ago. Didn't see any improvement after first few weeks. Hard to say now as decided to turn him out and see how he is next year.

dangermouse

Visit site
My horse had Tildren and Cartrophen and neither really made any difference. Steroid injections in the hock seemed to be more effective although have to be careful there is no risk of laminitis.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Thanks for replies.
This is mares third lot of steriods in less than a year but first lot of Tildren
Vet said up to 56 days for steriod to work but didn't give a timescale for the Tildren.
Initially was meant to give 2 days off then light work for 4 weeks but she was unhappy when ridden so had to give her danilon then try her again.Was much better on Danilon. Was off Danilon for 4/5 days and reverted back to being tense and tail swishing .You could practically hear the swear word with every tail swish!Shes also the type that runs from it.At one point had to trot her into wall to get her to walk as she just keeps going up a level if you leave her..
Put her back on Danilon (4 in 2 days) and again much better-not as tense.
Will take her off it in week or so then try again but just keep hoping tidren will kick in.

Gemaction

New User
Visit site
I have been a forum watcher on and off but actually joined today to reply to your thread to hopefully give you a bit of hope.
About 3 years ago at the age of 10 our mare was diagnosed with Bone Spavin (whilst on loan). She didn't really respond to the first course of Tildren, but had a second course. Not long after, the vet was happy for her to start ridden work. She's back home and you wouldn't know she had had Bone Spavin. She's not doing the volume of work she used to, as she's only 13.2 and my daughter is at Uni, but she will happily do anything asked of her and is not on any drugs, but I do flexibility and stretching exercises as recommended by the back lady who visits her twice a year to check her over. Hang in there and don't despair.

0310Star

Visit site
My mare had a steroid injection in January and for me this worked. She has different problems to your horse, ringbone, sidebones, DJD. The injections worked fine but she has been on half a sachet of bute since. I have her this year out of the school, hacking only and built her up that way as she was most comfortable with this.
September we went back in for a checkup and decided the scan the other fire leg and going the starting of navicular. We decided to go with Tildren as she is a good candidate due to the various problems and in theory it would help it all!
My vet said to keep her in work as Tildren works better if you work them through it and I am happy to say I saw a difference within the first 4 days. We are now back lightly schooling :) I am going to take her off the bute soon, she is on half a sachet and is a big 16.3 well built TB so as the vet says, it won't be doing a lot to help her and it is more for my piece of mind than anything :)

If you have the funds/insurance then I would try it again, it could work well the next time around as a poster above said! Maybe a second opinion could be useful? Two sets of eyes are always better than one!
Good luck :)

Flicker

Visit site
Would allowing the joint to fuse be an option for your mare OP? That's the route we took with mine and she came sound enough for light flatwork, hacking, occasional little jumps etc. it does mean working them on Danilon / Bute for a few months, but the outcome was quite good for my horse in the end.

peanut

Visit site
My mare had Tildren but at the same time was also turned away for a few months because of other problems. A year later when re-xrayed, her hocks had improved massively and now when ridden you'd never know she had spavins.

Fingers crossed for you that it just needs more time to work.

Leg_end

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies but just another to say Tildren didn't work for my old boy whereas cortisone did. My current vet doesn't recommend Tildren as he feels it is a big chunk of your insurance funding and usually ends up being a fancy painkiller rather than a magic cure :rolleyes:

However a friend had a horse with navicular symptoms who had tildren every couple of years and it kept him ticking over...

TequilaMist

Visit site
Thank you for all replies they have been really helpful even just by knowing it can come ok as feeling very doom and gloom about her at moment.
Insurance is out this month and tbh not got the funds to finance continuous jags. I am wary of commiting to this as OH job a bit precarious at moment so don't want to start procedures can't pay for esp as £1000.
Did speak to vet prior to the Tildren and we had decided that if Tildren had no effect we would go down the Ethanol route as mare is a candidate for this as hocks are nearly fused.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have heard that tildren very rarely works for advanced athritis, as would be the case if your girl's hocks have nearly fused. It is best used when arthritis has only just set in. A horse at my yard has not responded to the steroids. He blocked well to the jint but it does not show up as spavin on xrays, so vet thinks it is just starting insode the joint. He is going to have tildren if the steroids show no effect in a couple of weeks.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
My vet told me maximum effect is seen up to 6 weeks after treatment and can last for 3-6 months. Had a huge effect first time around on mine. Repeated it after 4 months when it seemed to wear off and no effect on him at all that time.

I also tried Adequan (great stuff as a temporary pick me up) and had his hocks medicated 3x with steroids. The latter was by far the best thing for him - lasts the longest and is cheap :)

Escada2004

Visit site
My mare was diagnosed with spavin at 6 although when we x-rayed her it was quite advanced. To star she just had steriod injection, that lasted 9 months, she then went slightly lame again (was competing at 1.10m level BS) so we then gave her Tildren and steriod injection again, sound but only for 3 months! Also wasnt happy as the vet broke 2 needles when doing injection!!! Changed vets, he gave steriod injection in to both hocks, she come sound, i loaned her out to a dressage home, hacks etc to and is getting over 70% in all her tests and she has been sound on maxaflex and devils claw for 1 1/2 years and you would never know she had it - so dont dispair but i do think there are alternatives out there to the expensive ones :)