Tildren

peanut

Visit site
Tildren has been suggested for my horse who has bone spavin.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this drug and whether you felt it to be beneficial. :)

smallgirl

Visit site
My horse had tildren treatments last year for bone spavin in his hock joints and I have to say I found it worked, it was used in conjunction with cortisone injections and also had a strict fitness programme and lateral extensions for his hind feet to help.

He went from being shuffly and noticabley lame on both sides to virtually sound (sound on one side and only slightly unlevel on the other) within a 12 month period.

Hope this helps

quirky

Visit site
I was talking to the vet I was referred to about this, not because it was relevant to my horse, I was just interested.

He explained it as so:

If horse is 6/10th lame, it will not make a big enough difference for it to be worthwhile.
If horse has undergone other treatments and has gone from 6/10th to 1/10th lame, it is worth giving it a try to get it back to being sound.

He said the cost was also a consideration.

Hope that helps :).

applecart14

Visit site
Tildren has been suggested for my horse who has bone spavin.

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on this drug and whether you felt it to be beneficial. :)

Tildren has been suggested for your horse as his hock bones have not started to fuse and the problem has been caught in its early stages. Tildren stops the bones from fusing which is thought to be better as waiting for fusion to take place as this in itself can be a long drawn out process and is unpredictable and not always successful. Your horse will have an intravenous of Tildren in a bag of saline solution and this will go through your horse over a period of 3/4 hour to an hour. If the infusion is rushed through there is a chance it can cause complications such as colic and sudden heart attack thus making the transfusion slowly will prevent this as much as it can. I think the colic risk of Tildren infusion is something like 7% and heart attack is 1%. I was concerned about both of these risks as my horse is extremely colic prone and has second degree heart block which is a form of cardiac arythmia which is not ideal. My horse had three tildren some months apart from each other over 12 months of treatment. His was mild bone spavin. He was poorly after each infusion is so much as he was looking very sorry for himself, lying down, looking sick and he lost a lot of condition after each infusion. His bed was also very wet with urine for a period of 24 hours following each infusion due to the amount of additional wee produced although I'm not sure if this is a typical symptom. THe benefits in his case, have far outweighed the negatives and I would consider it for him again should the need arise. Here is a leaflet about Tildren which I would recommend you read. It is very interesting and explains in greater detail than I can help you with. http://www.georgevetgroup.co.uk/equine/TILDRENfactsheet.pdf

My horse is able to canter/gallop on good ground, compete novice ode, showjump, unaff dressage to elem level, and fun rides without a problem. Every now and again he will be lame when I first start to trot him but this wears off after a few strides and doesn't need bute on a daily basis, only when I compete I give him bute equivalent which is competition legal. The cost of tildren is approx £450-£500 each time which includes VAT (from my vet).

Last edited:

china

Visit site
my horse has been diagnosed with bone spavins amongst other things and had his injected with cortisone and is the soundest iv seen him in a long time!

ImogenBurrows

Visit site
Tildren has been suggested for your horse as his hock bones have not started to fuse and the problem has been caught in its early stages. Tildren stops the bones from fusing which is thought to be better as waiting for fusion to take place as this in itself can be a long drawn out process and is unpredictable and not always successful. Your horse will have an intravenous of Tildren in a bag of saline solution and this will go through your horse over a period of 3/4 hour to an hour. If the infusion is rushed through there is a chance it can cause complications such as colic and sudden heart attack thus making the transfusion slowly will prevent this as much as it can. I think the colic risk of Tildren infusion is something like 7% and heart attack is 1%. I was concerned about both of these risks as my horse is extremely colic prone and has second degree heart block which is a form of cardiac arythmia which is not ideal. My horse had three tildren some months apart from each other over 12 months of treatment. His was mild bone spavin. He was poorly after each infusion is so much as he was looking very sorry for himself, lying down, looking sick and he lost a lot of condition after each infusion. His bed was also very wet with urine for a period of 24 hours following each infusion due to the amount of additional wee produced although I'm not sure if this is a typical symptom. THe benefits in his case, have far outweighed the negatives and I would consider it for him again should the need arise. Here is a leaflet about Tildren which I would recommend you read. It is very interesting and explains in greater detail than I can help you with. http://www.georgevetgroup.co.uk/equine/TILDRENfactsheet.pdf

My horse is able to canter/gallop on good ground, compete novice ode, showjump, unaff dressage to elem level, and fun rides without a problem. Every now and again he will be lame when I first start to trot him but this wears off after a few strides and doesn't need bute on a daily basis, only when I compete I give him bute equivalent which is competition legal. The cost of tildren is approx £450-£500 each time which includes VAT (from my vet).

This is a really useful post. Tildren is attempting to prevent bone fusion across the joint and maintain the normal joint space, stopping collapse.
The bolded area of this post I felt needed a little clarification.
In normal horses the joints are design to shock absorb, providing a cushioning effect in motion for the bones. In arthritis the shock absorbing ability of the joint is compromised and then bones remodel and joint may even collapse.

As the factsheet link describes - there are 2 types of cells in bones, osteoblasts (bone remodelling and development) and osteoclasts (bone lysis or resorption).

Some horses have a really strong remodelling response and form obvious boney spurs and often fuse the joints together quite rapidly.

Some have a strong lytic repsonse, where the osteoclasts start working overtime and destroy bone in the joint. These joints can collapse easily IME.

We have found that Tildren is best at dealing with the cases that have lytic changes seen with OA (osteoarthritis).
It is expensive but often effective and side-effects are monitored for closely.

Joint medication directly concurrently is also very useful.

Hope that helps,
Imogen

Regan

Visit site
Hi
My horse was diagnosed with bilateral bone spavins this summer and was about 2-3 10ths lame. He had Tildren, cortisone injection, corta-vet and 1 bute a day- which i'm hoping to stop next week. Expensive- yes but I can honestly say he's never been better!! Worth every penny! :D