Time between selling a horse and collection?

05jackd

Visit site
I sell so infrequently now I am wondering what the norm is?
I had a viewing for my horse in early Jan. People seemed keen but i heard nothing after the viewing so I assumed it was a no - fine. I hadn't plan to really advertise until spring when prices hopefully pick up.
However they have now been in touch to say they want to go ahead but couldn't collect for at least 6 weeks due to not having a stable space.
Is this common?
In the past we have held for a maximum of two weeks to allow vetting etc to be done but its been a few years since I sold a horse.
I am so wary of a horse getting injured/ ill in the interim.

TheMule

Visit site
I sell so infrequently now I am wondering what the norm is?
I had a viewing for my horse in early Jan. People seemed keen but i heard nothing after the viewing so I assumed it was a no - fine. I hadn't plan to really advertise until spring when prices hopefully pick up.
However they have now been in touch to say they want to go ahead but couldn't collect for at least 6 weeks due to not having a stable space.
Is this common?
In the past we have held for a maximum of two weeks to allow vetting etc to be done but its been a few years since I sold a horse.
I am so wary of a horse getting injured/ ill in the interim.

If they pay now then pay you 6 weeks of full livery, fine. Not fine under any other terms!

Snowfilly

Visit site
I held onto one for 5 weeks once, they were in the middle of moving house and the last thing he needed was to leave the yard where he was born, go somewhere else for a few weeks and then move again. But they explained that on the phone when they first spoke to me, paid full price and left a comprehensive agreement about injuries / death while he was in my care. They didn’t pay for his keep because he was a weanling in a 20 acre field and basically wasn’t costing me anything but if he was stabled or on short feed, I would have asked for that as well.

Everything else, no more than 48 hours if local or up to a week for long distance because of getting the transport sorted.

Squeak

Visit site
I don't often sell horses but I refused to keep a horse while purchaser went on holiday for two weeks as the risk was too high imo. I also don't know how it would work insurance wise etc if the horse was to get injured if you're not a livery yard with the relevant insurance. Personally I just wouldn't risk it.

dottylottie

Visit site
lily had to stay put just over a week, because the space i was originally moving to fell through - previous owner had already told me she was paid up until the end of the month so she could stay until then if needed though! definitely would not be holding for 6 weeks unless they paid in full and paid for livery

Reactions: tda

Jambarissa

Visit site
If I thought it was a good home and the price was right I wouldn't mind holding on 6 weeks if you were going to wait until spring (end March?) anyway but would want a sizeable non refundable deposit with the date of final sale written down and vetting now.

Or you can just follow your original plan and advertise in spring which sounds right for these buyers anyway.

Cowpony

Visit site
So they haven't had a vetting done, haven't paid a deposit, have already wasted 3 weeks, and want you to hold the horse for another 6 weeks? 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I would tell them they either buy the horse now and pay livery, or they take their chances that the horse is still available at the same price in 6 week's time

blitznbobs

Visit site
The longest I’ve waited (as a buyer) was a month but I had someone looking for a horse for me and they found one a Week before I was due to go to the states for 3 weeks. i told him up front that I couldn’t take the horse for a month but we had a delivery date arranged be for I left for america

Wishfilly

Visit site
When I bought, it took me about a week to organise vetting, and then probably another 10 days to sort transport- he needed to arrive on a weekend day as I'm not able to take random single days off work. It was nearly 150 miles, as well, so not super long distance but also a little more difficult to arrange transport for on a Saturday!

I think it was nearly 3 weeks between viewing and him coming to me. However, I was actively communicating with the seller about all of this, and I was upfront with her when I viewed and made an offer. I offered to pay a deposit which she declined. It was a private sale, and I think she was happy to wait an extra week for him to go to what was hopefully a long term home, rather than somewhere where he could be grown out of relatively quickly and moved on again. I had my livery space etc all sorted, which she knew, and it was literally just sorting transport on a day I was available that was the issue!

I think "at least" 6 weeks sounds tricky- if they don't currently have a stable/space, what's going to change in 6 weeks? As they haven't vetted, they also haven't committed any money. I think I'd want a bit more information about what they're expecting to change in the 6 weeks before making any sort of decision.

I sort of agree that you could continue to advertise, but sell to them if he's still available in 6 weeks?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
This is from a well known dealer. I think it's about normal...
•If you would like to secure a horse a deposit is required which will secure the horse for up to 7 days. No horse is secure without this and is still open for sale.
•After the 7 day period you can either
-pay in full and collect your horse
-pay full livery on your horse at [**] per day until collection
-forfeit the deposit and the horse will be readvertised