Time for a new girth, neoprene or leather, which is best?

Clip1clop1

Visit site
Have used neoprene for years but it now needs replacing. Tempted to buy a leather one, just want to check out any thoughts on the comfort rating of leather.

rowan666

Visit site
I had a leather one for my shire that was hand me down from my mum so it will be 30+ years im guessing and whilst its stood the test of time and still in fabulous condition he definitely prefers the comfort of his new neoprene!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I actually love my Stubben string girth most of all. Leather I find can be sweaty, neoprene I just dont like that much. The string girth I think is really comfy, they dont seem to sweat much with it, it fits my forward-grooved mare well and it washes easily. Oh and it seems to last forever, still looks brand new and I've had it about 5 years.

Mrs B

Visit site
Over the years I've used string, fabric, leather; Balding, straight, plaited, comfort ... you name it. I've been using a Dever for H but have now (as he's a round sort of shape from the wither) decided to try the Professional Choice girth which has a detachable, 'grippy/sticky' lining for when you want to wash it. Have heard good things about it and always like the idea of having a double-ended elasticated girth so you don't have to have it as tight.

StormyMoments

Visit site
Depends on the type of girth... I had a leather dressage girth which we both hated, it made him really sweaty, it never became supple it was just really stiff no matter what you did to it. I then bought a neoprene and gel girth which he loved (it cost a bit but was worth it) on my other saddle though I had a really nice leather girth which I liked and so did the horse so it really does depend on the girth :)

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Over the years I've used string, fabric, leather; Balding, straight, plaited, comfort ... you name it. I've been using a Dever for H but have now (as he's a round sort of shape from the wither) decided to try the Professional Choice girth which has a detachable, 'grippy/sticky' lining for when you want to wash it. Have heard good things about it and always like the idea of having a double-ended elasticated girth so you don't have to have it as tight.

I have the same one as you for a horse with a forward girth groove and who came with a girth gall. I have just been autumn hunting for 4 hours this evening and we did a LOT of galloping and jumping and she has no rubs and is really happy in it. The other great thing about it is the elastic ends - it is kind to do up and even a slightly girthy horse doesn't mind it.