Time is running out to sign the petition to restrict fireworks

dalidaydream

Visit site
There have been loads of petitions asking for a complete ban of fireworks. This one is different. It doesn't ask for a complete ban, it asks for fireworks to be restricted to the traditional dates, ie around Guy Fawkes, New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year for general public use. Organised, advertised displays would be unaffected. This would mean that pet owners would no longer have to worry about whether random fireworks will terrify their animals if they choose to go out in the evening. Surely this can only be a good thing?

Please sign the petition and share with your friends.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109702

Equi

Visit site
I signed but honestly it's unpolicable. People will just buy them on those dates and set them off whenever they want. The only way is to ban them from sale to the public and only organized fireworks displays allowed. Just my opinion though.

dalidaydream

Visit site
I signed but honestly it's unpolicable. People will just buy them on those dates and set them off whenever they want. The only way is to ban them from sale to the public and only organized fireworks displays allowed. Just my opinion though.

Possibly, but I've heard many stories of people complaining to their neighbours about setting off fireworks and getting told they're not breaking the law. Maybe, just maybe, it would make people think twice. It does work in other countries when they've done exactly this.

Incidently, I'd prefer a complete ban as well but that's not going to happen - this could if the petition gets enough signatures.

Lizzie66

Visit site
Sorry I know I am bucking the trend but I do not like the idea of banning peoples civil liberties in general. This would stop people having firework displays at say weddings or other special occasions, apart from which other than around the dates you have mentioned fireworks are not frequently set off.

In areas where it is a major issue it is perfectly possible for local councils to bring in by-laws to prohibit their use so I think a nation wide ban is overkill.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Sorry I know I am bucking the trend but I do not like the idea of banning peoples civil liberties in general. This would stop people having firework displays at say weddings or other special occasions, apart from which other than around the dates you have mentioned fireworks are not frequently set off.

In areas where it is a major issue it is perfectly possible for local councils to bring in by-laws to prohibit their use so I think a nation wide ban is overkill.

I can't agree that peoples civil liberties should include them being able to privately own incedery devices and explosives without a licence! Or maybe you feel that everyone should have the right to carry firearms as in the USA? Surely having such strict rules about shotgun ownership also impacts on our civil liberties?

Lizzie66

Visit site
I can't agree that peoples civil liberties should include them being able to privately own incedery devices and explosives without a licence! Or maybe you feel that everyone should have the right to carry firearms as in the USA? Surely having such strict rules about shotgun ownership also impacts on our civil liberties?

Get a grip and calm down.

Stretching it a little far between someone letting off fireworks in the privacy of their own garden to running amok with an AK47 don't you think ??

This thread was actually not about private use per se it was around restricting the timing of the private use of them. also as I said in my response where there are issues on a local level then the local councils can use by-laws to restrict rather than an imposition of a law that actually wouldn't effect that many people anyway.

dalidaydream

Visit site

This is about stopping the random fireworks that cause so much distress to pets and people who suffer from numerous medical conditions. There is no way of dealing with them if there is no warning. Organised, advertised displays would be unaffected.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This petition only runs until 2 April, don't wait until next Autumn when fireworks are annoying you again - it'll be to late.

Can I suggest an alternative? You have until August to buy a firework training recording and play it every time your animal eats. First almost inaudible, but you should be able to get it blasting out by six months time, to cement an association that loud bangs mean good things happen.

I don't know anyone who lives within hearing of commercial shooting grounds whose animals are terrified of fireworks. It surely can't be impossible to train most pets and horses to ignore them?

dalidaydream

Visit site
Can I suggest an alternative? You have until August to buy a firework training recording and play it every time your animal eats. First almost inaudible, but you should be able to get it blasting out by six months time, to cement an association that loud bangs mean good things happen.

I don't know anyone who lives within hearing of commercial shooting grounds whose animals are terrified of fireworks. It surely can't be impossible to train most pets and horses to ignore them?

This will work for some dogs but certainly not all. It's not just about animals. There are thousands of people who live in this country who are terrified every time a firework goes off. Those with autism, ptsd, anxiety to name but a few.

And incidentally, I do and my dog is terrified of fireworks.

sarcasm_queen

Visit site
This is about stopping the random fireworks that cause so much distress to pets.

Don't generalise. We've had animals all my life, lots of different kinds from different backgrounds, and none of them have ever been scared of fireworks. The only exception was crazy horse who was scared of everything, but seeing as the rest of her herd were super chilled about it, she soon realised it was all fine, and she hasn't had a problem since.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Get a grip and calm down.

Stretching it a little far between someone letting off fireworks in the privacy of their own garden to running amok with an AK47 don't you think ??

This thread was actually not about private use per se it was around restricting the timing of the private use of them. also as I said in my response where there are issues on a local level then the local councils can use by-laws to restrict rather than an imposition of a law that actually wouldn't effect that many people anyway.

I am quite calm and manage to be considerably more polite than you.Perhaps you could calm down and read what is written, shotguns are not in the same rank as AK47's, but require stringent regulation before it is legal to own one, never mind fire it. Fireworks are indeed incendary devices and contain explosives, they are frequently not used just in peoples gardens.
Re sensetisation one of the main causes of the early retirement of guide dogs is their over reactiveness to fireworks, this from the trainers themselves.

huskydamage

Visit site

Agree with this. Really dislike the way these types of bans suggest every member of the public is stupid and cant be responsible with anything.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Agree with this. Really dislike the way these types of bans suggest every member of the public is stupid and cant be responsible with anything.

That's all well and good until you live near a wedding venue which has frequent firework displays... and they are very loud indeed. They frighten horses, pets and wildlife. We've had lit fireworks landing on our stable, hay store and roof when the fireworks have been let off in high winds. People are 'stupid' I'm afraid, especially when there's money involved. I had to get very nasty indeed to get something done about it.

Lizzie66

Visit site
I am quite calm and manage to be considerably more polite than you.Perhaps you could calm down and read what is written, shotguns are not in the same rank as AK47's, but require stringent regulation before it is legal to own one, never mind fire it. Fireworks are indeed incendary devices and contain explosives, they are frequently not used just in peoples gardens.
Re sensetisation one of the main causes of the early retirement of guide dogs is their over reactiveness to fireworks, this from the trainers themselves.

I was not impolite, condescending maybe but not impolite. I deliberately used the AK47 reference in order to over exaggerate as you had done. This thread was not around banning fireworks altogether it was around restricting the dates of their use and therefore the argument regarding incendiary device is not relevant in this context.

If we decided that anything that could be used irresponsibly should be banned then we would have very little left. So my point of view remains the same that these should be dealt with at a local level not a national one.

I would have thought that part of the process of training guide dogs was desensitising them to loud noises (fireworks included) and if they can't be desensitised then they should not be trained as such.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
This will work for some dogs but certainly not all. It's not just about animals. There are thousands of people who live in this country who are terrified every time a firework goes off. Those with autism, ptsd, anxiety to name but a few.

And incidentally, I do and my dog is terrified of fireworks.

I'm sorry but the people argument does not stack up. You cannot stop every popping balloon and backfiring car. And you can't stop thunder storms at all. In fact, there would be quite a solid argument for increasing loud and sudden noises to densitise people so they find it less stressful.

I think it is unreasonable to tell people that they can't celebrate big days of their lives with fireworks. They last only minutes when done for a wedding or a birthday. There are laws to safeguard the peace of people who live near venues who have them too often.

You do what with your dog? Train him not to be afraid of fireworks? Why is it not working?.

On these threads I am always reminded of watching a dog trainer who took a dog which lay on the floor and refused to walk over a bridge. The owner said it was afraid of the bridge. The trainer dragged the dog by its neck along the bridge. After a few yards, it stood up and happily crossed and recrossed the bridge wagging its tail. Somehow, the owner had taught the dog to 'be afraid' of the bridge, and I always wonder how many owners of animals who are afraid of fireworks are unwittingly rewarding their animals for unwanted behaviour by 'comforting' them.

I have kept dogs cats and horses for a very long time and never had one scared of fireworks. If I did, they would never be fed without an accompanying firework recording.

dalidaydream

Visit site
I live within hearing distance of a shoot. My dog is not bothered by this but is terrified by the sudden and very, very loud fireworks. She is fine if I'm home with her but if I'm not I come home to a quivering wreck. You cannot train this out of her. No she is not bothered by thunderstorms, fireworks are much, much louder and nearer.

As for the people argument, maybe if you knew someone who suffered you might be a bit more sympathetic. Try telling someone who has returned from a war zone with ptsd or a child with autism that they should suffer more loud noises to desensitise themselves.

Lizzie66

Visit site
As for the people argument, maybe if you knew someone who suffered you might be a bit more sympathetic. Try telling someone who has returned from a war zone with ptsd or a child with autism that they should suffer more loud noises to desensitise themselves.

PTSD is obviously an issue for the people concerned and yes loud noises can be a trigger but any associated memory can do this and banning everything is not practical. Should flash cameras, discos, fairgrounds be banned because they might trigger an epileptic fit ? What about peanuts these can cause fatal anaphalptic shock ?

I seriously object to things being banned because they might cause offence to a minority of people. As I said deal with it at a local level if it becomes a local issue, not as a blanket ban at a national level.

Last edited: