Time is up for old dog. What about her sibling?

quirky

Visit site
Old GSP has had a tumour for a while. We knew the time would come at some point, where it would get too much for her.
Her sibling is essentially healthy, just a little arthritic. They are 13.5 years old.
We also have a 3yr old IG, he was bought (as a puppy) as company for the remaining dog when the time came.

Now, having spoken to a vet nurse, we are concerned GSP will struggle to cope without her sister.
Do we have them both pts together, or see how remaining one gets on.
I don't want her to suffer mentally.

I have tried to speak to the vet but they were too busy and couldn't ring me back.
Time is running out. What do I do?
My husband is against taking both GSP's to vet, so the other can see her sister once she has passed.

It is such a dilemma knowing what to do for the best :(

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Firstly, I am so sorry that this time has arrived for you - it must be very difficult.

I am no expert, but I think that I would only have the ill dog PTS, especially as you have another dog at home that the sister knows. (Not sure what an IG is though). I think I also agree with your husband, seeing her sibling pass away may be traumatic for her, especially as you will undoubtedly be very upset too.

Nothing is going to make this easier, but you will take comfort from the sister back home too.

darli

Visit site
Sorry you are having to make this decision it is never easy on the heart is it.
When our eldest dog came to her end - she was nearly 17 and just worn out, I had her put to sleep at home partly because she would have been stressed at the vets and partly so her housemates could see she had gone. The other dogs weren't litter mates but as younger dogs had known her all their lives. My vet fully supported letting them I to sniff her afterwards and they did have a bit of a sniff but not for long. They didn't seem to worry that she wasn't there - didn't keep looking out for her so I supposed they accepted her departure. Wether they realised or just weren't bothered I have no idea but they looked for the cat for quite sometime after she was put to sleep at the surgery.
Not much help I'm afraid but so sorry you are going through this.

{97702}

Visit site
Sorry it has come to this point Quirky :( I agree with Bestdogdash, I would have the ill GSP PTS and see how her sibling does - I appreciate it could potentially be doubly upsetting for you and your family, but if your second GSP doesn't settle then you can always make the decision in the future?

IG = Italian Greyhound incidentally BDD :)

quirky

Visit site
I have come to the conclusion I am over thinking it, which is not something I normally do!
Our lovely dog still goes mad for a walk when she sees her first human of the day. Her mind is willing, her body less so. She deserves a good ending and that's what she'll get.

She was 18 months old when my eldest daughter was born, she is going to be heartbroken, as we all will be, even though she knows the end is nigh.

PorkChop

Visit site
I would have her pts at home and then her sister can see that she has gone. Just see how it goes, I am sure her sister will be fine, sending you a hug at this horrible time x

Alec Swan

Visit site
I would have her pts at home and then her sister can see that she has gone. …….. x

Absolutely right. A Vet's surgery (an already stressful place), isn't the place to be waving one dead dog under the nose of another. Presenting such a situation to the survivor and in that environment will be stressful and meaningless.

In your shoes, and if I felt as you do, I'd have someone take the sibling off for a walk, have the dog which is off on a journey, put down, and then when the returning sibling goes to the lawn, she will find her sister asleep. That's how I'd do it. I would also leave the departed dog with the sibling for at least a couple of hours. Another animal's passing isn't always obvious to those that survive.

A difficult time for you OP, I understand. I wish you well through the next few days.

Alec.

twiggy2

Visit site
really tough time for you,

I have made the decision that when one of my old boys need to go they will go together, one is 14 and the other 16yrs, I have another younger dog but the older ones have never bonded with her like they have with each other and i worry that the stress of one going will pull the other down and they will just go down hill fast and have a horrible time before they go

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had 2 Labrador sisters and 3 other younger Labs. One sister had to be pts and the other was definitely pining for her, even with the others at home. Vet prescribed tranquillizers for her for a few days until she settled.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
A while ago I had one of my GSDs put down and her daughter did pine quite badly for her, but I just did lots of different things with her and she picked up. I would let your bitch see her sisters body, as Alec has said, the best way is to have the old girl pts at home while her sister is not there and then just let the sister in. Leave them together for a little while and she will hopefully accept it and not be looking for her sister. My thoughts go out to you, it is such a horrible thing to face, but the kindest for the dog.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I would have her pts at home and then her sister can see that she has gone. Just see how it goes, I am sure her sister will be fine, sending you a hug at this horrible time x

Me too.
I have just been through this both my others where very very down for a while but are back to normal now.
It's a horrible experience but it's the price we pay for having them.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com

Me too. This is how we always do it at home and they're put down on the sofa where they're used to being too (it helps to put a cover over the sofa first which you can then use to carry and later wrap the body in to bury) The others have a sniff while we and vet have a cup of tea (and I have a few last moments alone with them) and the others then accept it far better, they're not distressed about it which is a lot different than before if we took one to the surgery to do because then they would look for them for ages and not settle. They seem to be like horses in that they settle far better if they can see and smell the body then leave in their own time, it seems more natural for them.

quirky

Visit site
I've booked to have it done at home.
Unfortunately, she's too big to bury but I will be arranging for the crem to come and fetch her, rather than her being whisked off with the vet.
:(

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've booked to have it done at home.
Unfortunately, she's too big to bury but I will be arranging for the crem to come and fetch her, rather than her being whisked off with the vet.
:(

Well done, and correct by ethical stance, or any other.

Difficult days, but share your sorrow, it's a way forward and nothing to regret.

Alec. x

Wiz201

Visit site
Amber knew her friend was going and kept her distance for a few days before we knew it was time so I think she knew Bonnie was going to die eventually and she had like detached herself already, so wasn't too distressed.

quirky

Visit site
Well, our lovely old dog accepted her fate without argument.
Her sister took herself off down the garden and I had to call her back in to see the body. She gave it a cursory sniff and then came to see me. I took her out again whilst the vet took the body away.

She then hopped back on her sofa and slept, which is what she'd normally do. She has had her tea and doesn't appear to be out of sorts at all......the same can't be said for us, it's not right just having 2 dogs sat waiting for tea :(

Alec Swan

Visit site
Very well done. Dry your eyes, you've faced up to a difficult day and you should take pride in your courage, it isn't easy we all understand that.

Generally I've found, it's we who do the grieving, not the dogs.

Alec.

{97702}

Visit site
Well, our lovely old dog accepted her fate without argument.
Her sister took herself off down the garden and I had to call her back in to see the body. She gave it a cursory sniff and then came to see me. I took her out again whilst the vet took the body away.

She then hopped back on her sofa and slept, which is what she'd normally do. She has had her tea and doesn't appear to be out of sorts at all......the same can't be said for us, it's not right just having 2 dogs sat waiting for tea :(

Sending you ((hugs)) Quirky, any dog leaves such a massive hole in your life, it is awful :(

Spring Feather

Visit site
Aw Quirky I'm so sorry to have just read this. It's hard isn't it saying goodbye to our old special dogs. You did the right thing by having your old girl PTS at home. That's what we do too and the other dogs totally accept it, have a sniff and then get on with living. xx to you at this difficult time

diamonddogs

Visit site
Well done you!

You've done everything you could to ease the older dog's passing and shown compassion for those left behind. What more could a trusted friend ask for?

When I was in a similar situation, one of the dogs was seriously ill and needed immediate veterinary care. We were very thoughtless and put him in the car without giving any consideration to his wife left behind.

That was his final journey, and he was pts the following morning. We took his body home, but his wife wouldn't even look at him. He was buried after a couple of hours, but she pined for weeks. She eventually got over it, but with hindsight she was treated very heartlessly at the time - we should have taken her with us.

You did well - my story is an example of how NOT to do it.

Thoughts are with you and yours.

{97702}

Visit site
What a sad story diamonddogs, but please dont berate yourself - I personally have never had any of my dogs PTS at home, I have always taken them to the vets and my remaining dogs never view the body - I have never had a case where the remaining dogs have never pined or shown any sign of missing their friend. Everyone does things differently, you weren't to know.