Time to build an ark?

scats

Visit site
How’s your rain? I’ve never seen anything like it here. Main road to the farm is flooded again, one side of my driest field is underwater (thank god I’ve got a dry half). Its hammered down day and night for days.
Seriously worried our birket is going to break its banks.

Give me freezing dry winters over this ridiculousness, I hate it.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
Ridiculous in East London. I have never seen our fields so wet. The river which runs through our turnout is now just a lake, it is going to take months for the land to dry out. It's got to stop raining soon... right?!

doodle

Visit site
Snow here. But then there has been snow since the week before Christmas. It has thawed twice for 2 days each then snowed again ?. Suits me as Robin will stay in and rest if everyone else in but will stress alone so has to go out.

our fields are actually drier this year though.

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
I'm so down today, working from home and normally enjoy getting down to the yard a bit earlier but I'm keeping my head down and working, i cant face going out in this wet knowing that my fields will likely be under water (even more) and i will have a horse likely trashing it further because he hates the bad weather ... even though the yard and stables are open to him to come in! I will not bring him in and have him standing in a wooden box for more than the already, too many, twelve hours out of 24! :(

I've never known my land to be this wet before, its thoroughly depressing!

scruffyponies

Visit site
Funny thing is that although it seems wet, the water table here (Hampshire) and our chalk stream river levels are low for the time of year.
Hoping that means that when the rain stops, the surface water will clear quite quickly (fingers crossed)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
The ford is treacherous at the moment, there are large stepping stones under there somewhere (the branch is caught on them). So much muddy water, I won't be taking the horses through it as we'd all be swept away!

Attachments

• rsz_ford_20-1-21.jpg
    rsz_ford_20-1-21.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 30

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Ours are out 24/7 with free access to the yard and their stables with hay fed on the yard area . Just been out to feed and poo pick and it looks like they've spent the whole day on the yard , nearly all the poo outside but under the overhang , a couple in each stable but none in the fields . That's really rare for ours . Don't think anyone needs to worry about horses having to stay in under these conditions !

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Everything is flooded here in Hertfordshire our lane to get out in literally like a lake and there is heavy rain expected all night, I am sick of it now it's just so miserable the horses just stand on the hard standing most of the day, even when they have eaten there hay they are not wanting to step foot in the field, I got them in early and they are in overnight at the moment anyway.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Eep, MC :oops:. Can you normally lead your horses across that ford?

Yes, it is one of the routes to get down to the stables from the field. I'll use the alternative for now I think. ;) This isn't the best pic, but this was the ford - on the right of the photo - a couple of winters ago (cat for scale, please ignore the cut out of the child I was helping with a primary school project).

Attachments

• rsz_kasper-ford.jpg
    rsz_kasper-ford.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 43

Roxylola

Visit site
Yes, it is one of the routes to get down to the stables from the field. I'll use the alternative for now I think. ;) This isn't the best pic, but this was the ford - on the right of the photo - a couple of winters ago (cat for scale, please ignore the cut out of the child I was helping with a primary school project).
Thats a heck of a difference! My brain is really struggling with the cat being for scale and the cut out not - its adamant that's a tiger sized cat ?
Our stables are flooding as the land behind is higher and the ground just can't hold any more water, the river in town has burst (again) and lots of folk locally flooded out completely. Luckily I live on a hill but everywhere is just mud and wet at the moment, its dreadful

southerncomfort

Visit site
Absolutely awful here.

I have rivers in every paddock. So much water at the gate that I gave up and turned them out in the school. By 2pm they'd had enough so I brought them back in.

By that time, I had water in the feed room and water inside every stable.

Supposed to turn to snow overnight. We've had 5 days since Christmas where their hasn't been thick snow on the ground.

We are better off than many though being on a hill. Down in the town the river is very high and has breached the bank in a couple of places. Apparently their is a river running along one residential road.

We've got to be due a dry spring and summer haven't we??!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thats a heck of a difference! My brain is really struggling with the cat being for scale and the cut out not - its adamant that's a tiger sized cat ?

LOL! I think the cut out is screaming 'run away... run away!'

Poor Kasper, he's not very scary really. :)
Our stables are flooding as the land behind is higher and the ground just can't hold any more water, the river in town has burst (again) and lots of folk locally flooded out completely. Luckily I live on a hill but everywhere is just mud and wet at the moment, its dreadful

:( It's just awful.

scruffyponies

Visit site
I am feeding one lot on the fence line, and it is a bog. Have resigned myself to re-seeding that side in April.
On the plus side, I still have quite a bit of 2019 hay in the barn, so they may as well eat it. If I'm really lucky there'll be some seed in the hay, and it will seed itself (wishful thinking).