Time to call the farrier?

Visit site
Stupid question alert...
So we've only had our warmblood for about ten weeks, he was last shod about 4-5weeks ago, his front left is a white hoof so I know that it will be weaker than the rest but I wanted some advice about whether it's time to call the farrier out to have him re-shod or not. His other 3 hooves are fine but the nails in his front left have started to come through and the hoof is a bit cracked already.

What do you think?

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
First it's a myth that pigment - or lack of it - has any effect on the quality of horn.

When I had shod horses, they never went longer than 6 weeks before re-shoeing and some need less than that between shoeings (4 weeks in one case). I would get the farrier along, especially as mine generally comes about a week after I call (unless it's an emergency).

Your main problem though is the poor horn quality. This can really only be improved through diet and of course the horse needs to grow all the poor horn out (so you're looking at a few months before you have a whole nice quality hoof). You need a low sugar/starch and a high fibre diet with a good Vit&Min supplement (eg Pro hoof, Pro balance, Forage Plus and I believe that Equimins advance is also OK). Just supplementing Biotin and painting on lard (AKA kevin Bacon hoof dressing) wont be enough.

jens

Visit site
Yes I would be calling now for a visit asap. Not only from the state of the foot and the risk of that shoe coming off and causing more damage, but also your shoe does look thin and worn. You have obviously been clocking up the miles. :)

Heelfirst

Visit site
I do not comment on photos.....but

IMO: white feet are the same as any other colour in structure and strength,

Fact : Any wall that is cracked split or damaged in anyway from the nail down, it is due to a conflict with the nail, when I teach this to young farriers they are often surprised.
Regardless of the quality of wall, sole, and connecting tissue, there must not be any imbalance caused by the fitting of a shoe.
Yes diet plays the major part in the structure and health of tissue but if there is a conflict between nail and wall, the wall will loose every time.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Ummmmm, isn't it obvious ATW?

I agree with this. I am frankly shocked that you have a shod horse and you have had to ask that question. Perhaps you need to do some research or buy a basic foot care book. Sorry OP but you do have a duty of care as an owner to knowledge up on the basics.

Micky

Visit site
Yes time to call farrier :)
Would look at diet, try adding micronised linseed to his/her feed, you can also use the pro vital hoof stuff you sponge on top and underneath of hoof but mainly its what you put inside your horse that will help.
Farriers formula or the like may well help to and regular visits from farrier, more so in summer if hi/her feet grow at a decent rate ( unlike mine! :) )

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Looking at his feet, yes he wants them doing. However you can really see the difference in the horn quality growing down now from what he was producing before when he was underfed through the winter so keep up with the supplements, linseed etc and you will eventually get better hooves.