Time to put to sleep

minkymoo

Visit site
I had my horse pts a few weeks ago, I wanted my vet to do it as they knew each other and with E's history, it seemed only right.

My vet was amazing, he talked me through it, and gave him a sedation injection and then the final one. It was very peaceful and dignified. My vet helped him down and then he was gone. It happened just how I had hoped it would. My poor horse was only 5 ��

The best bit of advice is the same as my yard owner gave me. Make sure you are calm and unemotional, if you're crying and distressed, your horse will be too. I managed to keep it together until he went down and then burst into tears. I was determined not to upset him and make it difficult, considering I was 32 weeks pregnant I'm quite proud of myself.

I left him with the vet and my yard owner as I didn't want to see him getting put on the lorry as I wanted to keep the nicer memories.

I'm sorry you're going through this, it's very upsetting, but absolutely best for your pony. Xx

fatpiggy

Visit site
Poor OP, it is the worst part of having an animal, although I would say that seeing them ill or declining with age is actually more stressful than "the day" itself. I went with sedation and injection as my horse knew what guns were and was always very frightened of anything at all that went bang, plus I wanted to stay with her right to the end and couldn't bear the thought of a bullet hole ruining her pretty face. She was elderly and falling to pieces so it was the right thing to do. All went absolutely smoothly, the vet who did it was lovely, explained everything and although I had met him a few times at the surgery and he was my friend's vet, he didn't know my horse at all and for me that was better. Remember that with the injection they only go down because they are unconscious so even if they don't lie there quietly they won't know anything about what is going on.

Only you know your pony but if your daughter is still quite young, I would go for the injection, as it comes over as being more gentle. I've seen plenty put down that way and never seen a problem. I would agree with others though that if you choose the bullet, I would go with someone who does that for a living, so a knackerman or the hunt.

Ask your vet who they recommend for removal, or ask other people at yards in the area. I went with a crem company who although further away, have a wonderful reputation and I have to say a rather better manner on the phone than the vet's recommendation when I called up for a price. I don't envy them their job, whether it be the "man with the van" or the office staff. I received a personalised certificate of cremation a few days later which had a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem on it. They didn't have to do that but it was a lovely touch. I also wrote a card to the vets and thanked them for all the help and support I'd had from them over the years, and a special thanks to the vet who did it for his care and compassion.

Lastly, choose a nice spot for your pony to drop on, which is also accessible to the collection vehicle. I chose in the field, just beyond the gate as I couldn't bear the thought of her falling onto concrete. I also watched the weather forecast and booked it all for the next reasonably decent day. As the last injection went in a shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds and shone directly on her head - even the vet commented on it. I like to think that it was her little buddy who had gone ahead a couple of years before, had come to fetch her away.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Lastly, choose a nice spot for your pony to drop on, which is also accessible to the collection vehicle. I chose in the field, just beyond the gate as I couldn't bear the thought of her falling onto concrete. I also watched the weather forecast and booked it all for the next reasonably decent day. As the last injection went in a shaft of sunlight broke through the clouds and shone directly on her head - even the vet commented on it. I like to think that it was her little buddy who had gone ahead a couple of years before, had come to fetch her away.

What a lovely sentiment :)

Annagain

Visit site
I'm so sorry you're facing this. Which method you choose is an incredibly personal decision so while everybody will have different opinions on what is the best method, only you know what is right for you. For example, my reason for choosing the injection when the time comes (my horse is grey and I can't bear the thought of his lovely coat being bloodstained) is one that most others will probably find daft, but it matters to me. You, your daughter and the pony are the only 'people' that matter.

I've heard of many, many peaceful, quick endings and one or two horror stories with both methods - unfortunately it's the horror stories that stick but they are few and far between. The one thing I'd advise is to sedate beforehand no matter which method you choose.

I hope it goes as well as something like this can.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Friend had one pts by injection lately and says will always choose in future as was so peaceful for her horse. I would agree that things can go wrong with either method and that both have their horror stories, but if all else is equal e.g. horse not afraid of needles etc I'd approach it saying- if I can assume all goes according to plan what would I prefer to experience/ my child to experience if relevant. So sorry. It's never easy.

applecart14

Visit site
Was told whether shooting or injection they are both unconscious before they hit the ground and don't know anything. Its a personal thing I think, but I would never have my horse shot having had a nasty experience with this with my youngster and an incompetent vet many years ago now. It was very distressing for the horse and for me.

Like minkymoo said, you mustn't cry in front of them, they will pick up on it. With Rommy my Wobblers horse (who is the spit of Minkymoos horse in her siggy by the way) I was talking with my partner on the phone whilst waiting for the vets to load up their syringe when we were at Liverpool and refused to cry in front of him. I was the same with our dog when she was pts. THink I was in shock.

I think the old style injections caused problems but these days I think things go very smoothly indeed, my friend has stood with lots of horses whilst they were put to sleep and they all went peacefully.

Last edited:

Illusion100

Visit site
My friend had an absolutely horrific experience with the gun. I'm still not quite sure what went wrong, but I think it was a combination of a very sharp horse and my friend being very upset. The vet had her hold the horse and unfortunatley when he shot him the horse flipped out and the bullet hit but didnt put him to sleep. There was an horrific injury sadly and it took more than half an hour for them to be able to sedate him and finish the procedure :(

Very, very traumatic for all concerned! So if you go for the gun have them sedated before hand and dont hold them yourself, and ideall use a "knacker man" not the vet!

I can imagine how distressing that was. :(

With one of the shot but not dead horses, it has to be one of the most traumatising experiences of my life. It was truly that bad that I don't even want to explain it for fear of really upsetting people. Very disturbing indeed.

elliemum

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone. We had her put to sleep by injection by our vet today. We all spent the morning with her in a field that had vast amounts of grass and her best friend, our other mare. Groomed her, my daughter plaited and put flowers in her tail. She had had plenty of pain relief and even managed a little run round with our other mare. Fed her as many treats as she wanted. I stayed with her till the very end and she had a bucket full of all her favourite things. Was very quick and peaceful and our vet was fantastic. Awful, awful day, but the loveliest we could have made it for her, and so glad I could be with her the whole time.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I am so glad she passed peacefully. An awful day for all of you, hope you can soon start to smile through the tears- like they say, don't cry because she's gone, smile because she was there. Welling up again here! I so dread the day myself, it's awful. She was lucky she had a family to care for her right up to the end of her days. May every pony be so lucky. Xx

_HP_

Visit site
I've just had two ponies pts side by side, by injection. It was very peaceful and both ponies seemed perfectly unaware of what was happening.
My first thought was 'that's how I would like to go'.
I've had a pony die a very sudden, painful death right in front of me and believe me....anything is better than that!

Good luck with whatever you choose

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone. We had her put to sleep by injection by our vet today. We all spent the morning with her in a field that had vast amounts of grass and her best friend, our other mare. Groomed her, my daughter plaited and put flowers in her tail. She had had plenty of pain relief and even managed a little run round with our other mare. Fed her as many treats as she wanted. I stayed with her till the very end and she had a bucket full of all her favourite things. Was very quick and peaceful and our vet was fantastic. Awful, awful day, but the loveliest we could have made it for her, and so glad I could be with her the whole time.
So glad it went peacefully for you all and her, to me if that is your choice it is such a normal thing as horses have injections all the time so one more means nothing. This is a nice way to remember her enjoying the sun and her favourite humans and her favourite treats and along side her friends. I am glad we all could put your mind at rest and give you both sides for you too choose - Hugs to you all xx

Last edited:

Remi'sMum

Visit site
So glad it all went peacefully for her and for you. Well done on a brave decision and hugs for you and your daughter x

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I am so glad it went so well and your memories will be ones of her going peacefully and pain free. Such a brave thing to do and the best for your pony.

celticmolly

Visit site
Another one recommending Giles at equine and pet services. When I had my own yard he cycled past on his way to work every morning and always stopped for a chat, and to give the horses a scratch. When the time came to have my horse of a lifetime PTS, Giles came and got him and was so completely wonderful.

He made the whole awful experience so much easier, and still remembers the horses name when we bump into each other.

Sending you hugs xxx

Absolutely agree with you - Giles Jackson was brilliant last year when I had my pony PTS. So caring and compassionate. I'd recommend him without reservation.

Frumpoon

Visit site
If you want to cry when saying goodbye to your best friend then go ahead, nobody has the right to tell you otherwise

I cried the whole way through, the sedation, the leading, the handing the syringes to the vet...but my proper meltdown came when he hit the ground. They're your best friend, they're not daft and they're attuned to you xxxx