Time to say goodbye????

PC Steele

Visit site
I posted on here a few weeks ago about my horse who is 20 yrs old and has Cushing's. He is my ex police horse and retired through lameness. I have seen the x rays etc. and his legs are not in a good state but have managed to keep him sound for 5 yrs. I stopped riding him a few months ago as he was intermittently lame (vet said needs an MRI scan to investigate) not going down that pointless route. So completely retired however the dreaded lami has reared it's ugly head again!!!! I feel it is time to do the right thing? I don't want to just 'keep him going' he is now on box rest which he loathes and also sadly I am not an endless money pit!!!! Just want him to go with a bit of dignity and want to remember him sound and well not crippled in pain!!! Thoughts :-(

jrp204

Visit site
I would agree with you. You are doing him no favours, he is in pain, is unlikely to be pain free without medication. I would wait for a sunny day, dose him up with pain killers, turn him out for a couple of hours then arrange for someone to come to do 'the deed'.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
I am so sorry. Never an easy decision to make, whatever the circumstances. I've had to do it twice in the last two years, and even though there was no other option, it still was hard. You do sound as if you have nearly made the decision in your mind. I agree, wait for a nice sunny day, so he goes with the sun on his back and your love to accompany him. Whatever you decide, I wish you well xx

DJ

Visit site
Another who thinks you`re doing the right thing.

Yes, we`d all love to have hundreds and thousands of pounds to throw at them to try and make it all ok, but the reality of it is, most of us just haven`t got the disposable income to do this .... most "ordinary" folk are only just getting by each week.

Is it feesable to bute him up for a little while longer, for a bit of turnout and the sun on his back before saying goodbye? Or are you thinking that is not an option and sooner rather than later is better with him already being on box rest ? .... It sucks doesn`t it :( .. Thinking of you.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I have a mare that is 19 and has repeated bouts of LGL. If I had to keep her on box rest for prolonged periods, and she hated it, or even if she took to box rest very easily (which she does), but it was for a long time, I would PTS. However, I am lucky in that I can manage her laminitis with diet, boots and pads, and when she is really bad she stays in the sand turnout. I am in no doubt whatsoever, that she is a very happy and fulfilled horse. The day I think that she is not, is the day I will PTS.

Shay

Visit site
I lost a lad to cushings last year. You are doing entirely the right thing to think about this. Far better a week too soon than a day too late. I know - I left my lad too late.

indie999

Visit site
Right thing to do if you think it, and your gut instinct is always right. My vet wanted to take my old boy for a ton of pointless tests when the horse was riddled with arthritis. My vet seemed to think I should wait until he couldnt get up. I did not agree and asked for PTS. My horse would kick a stable door down and didnt travel well loved being outside 24/7. Lived a happy life and had already retired was on bute etc twice a day(which did suddenly not work at all)That was the time and the decision happened quite fast when one morning I visited and he was not standing on all fours properly, I got the vet out that morning. As devasted as I was it wasnt about me, it was for his best interest and I never wanted to see him in a bad old state. He went off to sleep with the sun on his back. I think its up to you. Only you know whats right. Sounds right time from what you say. I bet he has had a great life though as ex police horse, top care. Always think the booking it was the worse bit, picking up the phone. Relief once it was done. No more pain, discomfort etc.