time waster...yes or no...you decide

BlueCakes

Visit site
I wouldnt say timewaster, but definitely very strange.
The deposit thing is not strange because why would they leave one unless you had asked them too?

I also thing she is edging her bets and is probably still trying ponies before deciding that yours in the one she wants, because otherwise she would have organised herself within the week.
I would still show the pony to whomever would like the view.

The passport things is what I find the strangest. I would never give my horses passport or passport details to a stranger, and I'm pretty sure previous owners do not want to to be bothered with this. I am sure I would not want to be, and would think the person phoning me was a complete weirdo and probably wpuldnt answer their queries.
(I would if the person already had ownership of the pony because that is slightly different, but a potential buyer.. no way. Imagine if everybody who looked at the pony did that!)

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I can't see that you are trying to hide anything, and the main thing now is soundness, which is not historic, I would just give her the breeders or first owners details, remember many passports are pretty much self certified and it is a fairly new thing. I would let her get back to you, and when she does ask her if she has arranged a vetting.
Have you agreed a price yet.

Doormouse

Visit site
If only your pony had my horse's passport...

Carriepassport2.jpg

Alas, he wasn't there when I tried her. :(

LIKE! This made me chuckle!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Mmmm, difficult one - methinks she's being ultra cautious, BUT personally I'd be unhappy to release names and addresses in the passport to someone just on a whim.

I think your prospective buyer needs to stop faffing around and make her mind up PDQ coz you won't get a better "trial" of a horse than she obviously did when hounds etc were tearassing around. If it was me - I'd have been fighting anyone else around to put a deposit down pretty blimmin quick and secure my purchase! FGS what better trial could you get? She sounds a damn nice little mare and just the sort I'd have been looking for!

Worth her weight in gold I'd say ..... so I don't think you'll have a problem finding a buyer.

Brambridge04

Visit site
errmm i WOULD NOT be happy someone giving out my name and address to a stranger, that could potentially be for no real reason......

Wonder if u can use some kinda data protection law ???

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
vets will not disclose anthing to another buyer as it would breach confidentiality

Not so. I have given vets and farriers permission (and asked if they would be so kind..) to talk to a prospective buyer about a horse known to them, if it was reasonable and relevant to the sale.

Happytohack

Visit site
LIKE! This made me chuckle!

Made me smile too - my horse's passport is in Icelandic, so vet would have a tough time deciphering that one :)

Regards OP - Whenever I have gone to view a horse, I have always taken a cash deposit. If I were seriously interested in a horse (subject to vetting) I'd want the seller to see that I was serious so they didn't sell the horse to someone else in the meantime. Let us know what happens

Pedantic

Visit site
No deposit, horse still for sale, if you sell to another and they come back, tough shitt, nothing wrong with them being careful, but it's their risk if the horse is gone.

hudsonw

Visit site
Completely agree with what others have said.

Your pony (who sounds a saint) is still for sale until you have either a deposit or the full amount of agreed money in your hand.
Even if they even get a vet out for a vetting, until you have a deposit your horse is still for sale.

I wouldn't give her previous owners details out of the passport. You could tell her (if you know) the original breeders details if she wants to know more info on the parents/breeding etc but if she is after previous medical history then tell her to get her vet to contact your vet to discuss any issues. Her vet can then advise her of any issues and if they are going to effect the pony in the future.

If she buys the pony it's then up to her to contact all the previous owners in her own time!!

To be honest though she does sound a bit of a time waster and wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to go for another hack...just to make sure!!! If she was really that interested then she would have been in contact on a regular basis, not just leaving it for 2 weeks.

Archangel

Visit site
I would say ultra careful buyer verging on the bonkers :)

Any chance you could give us a hint as to which pony she is in H&H ;) She sounds lovely and my friend is looking for a quiet, experienced, all rounder.

Goya

Visit site
Has the pony been involved in PC or RC activities? If so the potential purchaser can speak to the DC or Chair of the Club concerned for a reference for the pony.
I have both used this way myself and also have been asked by potential purchasers about ponies before.

Spudlet

Visit site
I'd agree with those saying she's possibly been stung before? Also, buying a horse is not a cheap purchase generally, you can't blame someone for being cautious before they hand over their cash. At the end of the day the horse is still for sale so you aren't losing anything, if someone else suitable comes to buy then it's just tough on this woman, if not then if she does go for it you know she's going to the kind of home where t's are crossed and i's are dotted.

marmalade76

Visit site
If you have not heard from her for a week or two she is obviously not interested. The pony may have ticked all the boxes, but there may have something that she did not like about it. This did happen to me, a pony ticked all the boxes and would have suited my needs, but he lacked (quite a bit) quality and this was not reflected in the price. If he hadn't been so expensive I might have bought him. As it happened, I found a good quality pony that had more scope and had competed at a much higher level than the first, which was cheaper and nearer. The only thing the first pony had over the second was age.

gwenllian

Visit site
well i have heard from her,
as expected she is finding it difficult to contact her previous owners as she can't get hold of any phone numbers... she does want to buy her, but because she is having so much difficulty in finding any history she has offered me a few hundred pounds below the minimum i said i would take for her the last we spoke

i have explaind i am selling the mare now, today and her history has made her what she is, a good ,safe, honest allrounder . so her past can't be that bad.
her loss, she won't find better on her budget (imo)

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Good for you.
I can't understand her rationale in making you an offer a few hundred pounds under the price, if did have a problem, then surely paying a bit less for it wouldn't make it cheaper to keep with vet bills or re training. The buyer either thinks its a good pony and buys it, or thinks its not what you say it is, and walks away.
Good luck, cracking pony's are worth their weight in gold.

Booboos

Visit site
Good for you, stick to your guns. To my mind it's a bit ridiculous to ask for a price reduction because as a buyer you can't find out details about the horse's history. Loads of horses come with unknown history, not much that can be done about it!

mcnaughty

Visit site
I dont think it is unreasonable to give previous owner's details - it is up to them to decline to comment if they wish. Very easy to find people's phone numbers so long as they are not ex-directory.

I would, however, point out that the pony is still up for sale with no deposit and they are risking losing it.

- Just read your last posting OP - think it is totally unreasonable for them to drop the price because they cannot contact previous owners - tough! Pony should be bought as seen, tried and vetted.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Personally I think your prospective purchaser is taking the p!ss big-time and I think her tactics are devious bordering on underhand.

I would not sell to her - full stop.

Your little mare sounds like a cracking little horse and I think you would be doing her a disservice in letting her go for a song. Its early in the season yet and I'd hang on in there if I were you - there's someone out there just right for her who will snap her up and enjoy her not give you this much hassle.

Good luck.

Cobalob

Visit site
Everyone tries to negotiate on price but using that fact she can't get in contact with previous owners is a bit of a rubbish bargaining tool!!!

This, some people may not want to be contacted either.

I sold a horse and he was sold on again but me and the lady kept in contact, she had someone who wanted to buy him, was haveing a vetting but as when he was with me he learnt everything she asked for my details, lady selling him asked first and I was happy to oblidge.
If shes going off adress's from passport then people move too, think shes really trying her lck with the few hundred as can't get in contact with previous owners, its not your problem so shouldn't be knocked down by that.

I'm extra cautious when buying now due to two bad experinces so at the begining could understand looking for some history is said pony is so safe shes obviously after a very safe pony.

I'm sure your pony will be snapped up soon, sounds like a complete gem

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Are there other buyers trampling each other in the rush? Stand your ground on price and the home will turn up. It might be these people or it might not be. I'm a very exacting buyer, but mine stay with me for life, so I weigh everything up carefully before I make my decision. I really don't think she's mad and you need to be patient and not quite so suspicious.

Sounds like a super pony and worth waiting for the right home for anyway...

paddi22

Visit site
stand your ground and keep the mare open for sale. imagine you were selling a car, there's no way you would delay it if you couldn't contact the past owners.

if she wants to be that cautious fine, but don't let it alter your behaviour.

Kallibear

Visit site
well i have heard from her,
as expected she is finding it difficult to contact her previous owners as she can't get hold of any phone numbers... she does want to buy her, but because she is having so much difficulty in finding any history she has offered me a few hundred pounds below the minimum i said i would take for her the last we spoke

i have explaind i am selling the mare now, today and her history has made her what she is, a good ,safe, honest allrounder . so her past can't be that bad.
her loss, she won't find better on her budget (imo)

Is she a novice by boy chance? Sounds like someone's who's been horror_storied into being ultra careful and been told to get a full history else the seller is clearly a dishonest dealer selling dangerous horses.

However the cheaper price sounds like she's just chancing her luck.

Wanting past history wouldn't bother me in slightest but I too would be less than impressed at being offered a reduced price because she can't get ahold of previous owners!

depurple1

Visit site
Made me smile too - my horse's passport is in Icelandic, so vet would have a tough time deciphering that one :)

My horse has a Spanish passport - it did cause some confusion at his vetting when the vet thought his grading date was his date of birth and couldn't work out why he was being ridden so young!

Unless the horse was being sold by a dealer and had only been with them a short time, I can't see much point in trying to contact an old owner. So much can change with horses in so little time.

And I think trying to get a discount just because you can't get hold of a previous owner is just rude.