Tiny bees and hiccuping horse

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Evening,

So randomly for a few weeks every year we have lots of tiny little ginger bees vanishing into our feed room and a few stable doors. They soon give up and go elsewhere and I can't say I've ever noticed them coming back for any honey or anything so I honestly have no idea why they do it? Would these be solitary bees?!

Little cobbler has scared the bejesus out of me today by hiccuping a lot. It turns out after careful observation and administering electrolytes that when she puts her head over door and a bee flies near her she hiccups. Sometimes this carries on for a bit. Inside her stable eating her hay she is fine, no hiccuping so Am confident it's just the bees that are upsetting her. Anyone else's horse hiccup when upset? I have one the gulps, but this is def expelling air rather than taking it in?!

All very odd.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
They are probably masonry bees or timber bees. They are a variety of small bumble bee. I used to have some that loved in Camilla's stable. They are solitary in that they do not form a hive, but they do group together to nest & lay eggs.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Did your bees look like mine?

unknown-insect.jpg

I took this on 20 April, but only got around to cropping and enhancing the image this morning. I've also posted it to another forum to see if I can get an identification.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
Evening,

So randomly for a few weeks every year we have lots of tiny little ginger bees vanishing into our feed room and a few stable doors. They soon give up and go elsewhere and I can't say I've ever noticed them coming back for any honey or anything so I honestly have no idea why they do it? Would these be solitary bees?!

Little cobbler has scared the bejesus out of me today by hiccuping a lot. It turns out after careful observation and administering electrolytes that when she puts her head over door and a bee flies near her she hiccups. Sometimes this carries on for a bit. Inside her stable eating her hay she is fine, no hiccuping so Am confident it's just the bees that are upsetting her. Anyone else's horse hiccup when upset? I have one the gulps, but this is def expelling air rather than taking it in?!

All very odd.

We have ginger bees in our garden. They make lots of little burrows and then disappear. My husband says they’re sand bees.