Tiny tots and ponies- some questions.

small

Visit site
My daughter was given a Shetland as a baby ; he needed a lot of work when we got him which I did mainly long reining and seven years on I am so pleased we had him. From the hours of being brushed and plaited to the adventures in local woods and PC mini camp he has engendered a love and respect of horses not just in my daughter but in most of my neighbours kids as well. They're amazing esp if you take some time to train them properly

windand rain

Visit site
My granddaughter was safer sat up on the pony's back than on the floor so she was often up their from the age of about 10 months she still loves them although we dont go too much now as she no longer lives with me

PorkChop

Visit site
As soon as my children could sit unaided they started "riding". I used a cub saddle for them to hold onto and used to go for miles. They would have been well under a year old.

Doormouse

Visit site
Last edited:

BWa

Visit site
Just a quick update: Bramble the miniature Shetland is now in the paddock at the bottom of the garden with the tups (who have never seen such a tiny pony and are giving it a wide birth at the moment!)
The OH is now on side as the place we picked her up from had a lot more mud than grass so he thinks he has done some sort of rescue mission! It has come with 2 turnouts and a stable rug so it is going to have to learn to be a bit more shetland like and man up but she seems very sweet so far.

muddywinter1

New User
Visit site
have you/pony ever driven?? could potter about in a small trap with baby in the carseat.

I have two boys of 6 & 8 we've just bought a lead rein pony to share. but the eldest used to sit on my horse from about 18mth-2yrs. I love that they have grown up unafraid of horses, dogs ect.

NeverSayNever

Visit site
great news! Agree - you need to show us some pics now :D

- as an aside, cant think of anymore dangerous than a basket saddle or putting a child in a carseat in a trap :eek: Each to their own but wouldn’t be my choice.

BWa

Visit site
We have considered both and there was a basket saddle on eBay but I think I missed it. I picked up a cub saddle for her the other day and she has had plenty children on her but never been properly broken so once I've done some ground work and found a small jockey to do a bit, my daughter will be sitting up enough that if I have hand on her leg she will be ok for a potter.
Edited to add- photos when I figure out photo bucket and I am also a bit unnerved by basket saddles...

Last edited:

small

Visit site
If it's any help; when my daughter was a baby and wanted to ride I used to put a harness and toddler reins on her- you know the ones you can use to stop kids wandering off? Well I would hang on to her reins with one hand or the actual harness and lead pony with other hand and then if things went pear shaped just held on to daughter and let go of pony. The worst thing is when they shake!! Hysterical. Poor Child goes flying. Also once she just fell asleep on him! She always found it very soporific toddling round lanes on him.