Tipping water buckets

scats

Visit site
Millie has a fun new habit of flinging her water bucket over and flooding my stable. It’s everyday now and it’s driving me mad. It’s soaking under the rubber matting too and squelching under foot.
I currently use a garden wheelie bucket with a trug tub in, because our tap is at the far end of the yard and it’s quite a way to carry.

Suggestions appreciated, bearing in mind that carrying heavy buckets a long distance is not great for my back? Happy to pay out for something fitted/substantial if need be, but then I have the issue of getting water to it.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We fill buckets in situ with a hosepipe but I'm afraid that I have a similar problem, if the cob is bored, she plays with her bucket. We use big trugs which are far too heavy for me to move when they are full but she can do it. We have stopped the problem of wet beds by leaving our horses out over winter - they do still tip buckets over int he field though, occasionally.

HeyMich

Visit site
I have the triangular corner buckets in all 4 of my stables now. They can't kick/stomp/accidentally knock them over. I fill them with a hosepipe or pour in half filled trug buckets to top them up. They are really heavy when full but half full or less I can lift them out to wash them and replace. Like these... https://shiresequestrian.com/corner-manger (other brands are available) you'll need to buy the frame and bucket but it's worth it if you ask me!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Get some water containers (stackable plastic jerry cans) and a trolley with some bungee's to make your journeys easier.

Put the bucket in a tyre and tie it in with baling twine (put them on a pony knot for ease) If you still have an issue fill the tyre with postcrete concrete mix to make it heavier and apply the tying in method.

Annagain

Visit site
I have the triangular corner buckets in all 4 of my stables now. They can't kick/stomp/accidentally knock them over. I fill them with a hosepipe or pour in half filled trug buckets to top them up. They are really heavy when full but half full or less I can lift them out to wash them and replace. Like these... https://shiresequestrian.com/corner-manger (other brands are available) you'll need to buy the frame and bucket but it's worth it if you ask me!
You can get frames to attach them to the wall. They're meant for feed higher up but you could put them on the floor and fill them from a couple of smaller buckets. By the time they've drunk half of it it's light enough to lift out to empty. Shires Corner Manger Support Frame (thesaddleryshop.co.uk)

quizzie

Visit site

I use these too, but remove the waste bars in the corners if you have a dedicated bucket chucker, as mine could lift a full manger by them ( a full manger hold 2.5 standard buckets worth of water!) He has deformed the front rim, but can't get enough purchase to lift it out!

I have them mounted on the wall at about 2 ft height, and have boarded in the front edge below .

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I ran a TB stud years ago and had a young horse that took to ripping apart his buckets every night. It was getting expensive, new buckets and taking so much wet bedding out each day. His buckets were in holders too. I decided to put one of the ripped buckets( with handle off)in for him to play with at night to see if it would stop it and amazingly it did immediately. I then started adding different ’toys’, a muck sheet, an extra thick plastic feed bag, even a large traffic cone I had. It also helped desensitise him in his own time as he was very sharp and sensitive.

Polos Mum

Visit site
An alternative toy / already trashed item might work well. Perhaps in combination with a tie up ring and tie the handle of the tub to the wall with baler twine.

I have seen the bored get into total mischief with brackets etc. but a tie up ring should be safe and baler twine will break in emergency. Tying it in every time will be a small pain but it might break the habit then you can drop tying

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
For feeding my veterans hay replacer I use a trug on the floor clipped with a two way clip onto a tie up ring on the wall at a low level. He’s terrible for tipping over and crushing anything not nailed down. Would work for water too.

flying_high

Visit site
I found corner manger of water very annoying. Would get dirty / dusty / contaminated with feed / hay and be very hard to empty.

I use buckets attached to the wall. Either stubbs clip on buckets (with the reversed safety clips) or water bucker holder frames.

I do it to keep dust out of the buckets (when yard sweep with blower / stable detritus getting in buckets)

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Mine does this too (and runs around the field holding it!). I find putting the trug bucket in a tyre does the trick. Fill the bucket in situ with a hose pipe. If you can’t then how about one of those water carriers in a wheel barrow (or make several trips with a small and not too heavy bucket?)

scats

Visit site
Thanks all. Temporarily I’m going to stick some bricks in the bottom of the wheelie cart until I come up with a better solution.
I was looking at those fixed corner mangers but think they might be a faff to clean and hard to fill? I’m always in a rush so I need something quick to deal with on a daily basis.

jnb

Visit site
Thanks all. Temporarily I’m going to stick some bricks in the bottom of the wheelie cart until I come up with a better solution.
I was looking at those fixed corner mangers but think they might be a faff to clean and hard to fill? I’m always in a rush so I need something quick to deal with on a daily basis.
Get the flat sided buckets and removeable clips, just unclip the bucket and rinse out then put back up & use a hose to fill, tadaaa