tips for dressage writing :)

amy_b

Visit site
any of you dressage writing moguls?! doing my first stint and have never done it before, have ridden above the level Im writing for and have ridden the test Im writing for so I will understand what they are talking about but could do with some insiders tips! :)

jodie :)

Visit site
write fast! hahaha ;)
I've written for AM tests and you get so much info at once, so make sure you're on the ball!
oh make sure you have a good pen- it makes all the difference!:D
good luck!!

Polotash

Visit site
Learn how to spell R-H-Y-T-H-M!

Keep up with the test, some judges leave no comments for a movement or two, and it's easy to write in the wrong box ;0)

PolarSkye

Visit site
I love dressage writing . . . if you get a generous judge you learn a lot. Some things I've learned over time:

1) Learn the test and familiarize yourself with the scoresheet - that way you know when each movement ends/begins and can follow/know where to put each score - sounds simple but really helps

2) Use shorthand where you can . . . so draw a circle or square instead of writing "circle" . . . use L for left and R for right

3) Ask the judge beforehand how he/she likes to score . . . some give numbers and comments as they go along, some like to go back and give a number on reflection, etc.

4) If you're not already familiar with the riders so you can recognize them by looking at them, make sure you doublecheck their number against the competitor number on the score sheet.

5) If you do have a generous (knowledgeable) judge ask questions and open your ears . . . you'll be amazed what you can learn/pick up.

Have fun!

P

BigRed

Visit site
A big bag of some really nice sweets ! Spare pen, a decent clipboard in case they don't give you one.

Freddie19

Visit site

Keep up with the test, some judges leave no comments for a movement or two, and it's easy to write in the wrong box ;0)

Had to laugh at this, so true, spelling important, do not want scorers laughing at you! Also be discreet, your judge might say "silly plonker or whatever" but don't write it down!!!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
A well timed thread - I'm writing for pc areas this weekend! I have no idea what test it is, and would probably have spelt rhythm wrong too! Lots of things I hadn't thought of! Getting nervous now. Hoping it will be a useful, interesting experience - and that I get a nice judge!

BYR

Visit site
Make sure you write the score as soon as they give it to you even if you are in the middle of writing the comment so it doesn't slip your mind!

Agree with drawing a O for circle etc. Don`t use text talk though not everyone understands it!

Don`t be afraid to ask for something to be repeated most judges don`t bite :p

JFTDWS

Visit site
Agree with learning to spell - seriously, as a competitor, nothing is more annoying than a sheet of comments which are unintelligible / clearly not written in any recognisable form of the Queen's English :mad:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

Rhythm is one of those words that is hard to spell under pressure as it looks wrong!

IME the judges always give the comment before the score.

If writing for WT, Prelim or Novice it's not too taxing or quick and it's really interesting - all the judges I've written for have been really lovely and I've learnt loads :)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm not a proper judge and I know it's wrong but I've spent a looooong time giving the mark before the comment. :)

Also, re printing vs writing, whatever you can do quickly and legibly is the way to go. It doesn't matter how quick you are if no one can read it! ;)

For the first test or two at least, please don't watch to the detriment of the writing! It's easy to start spectating and forget what you are there to do. When you know how the test flows you'll be able to sneak a look but remember, you're not there to watch, the judge is

Definitely, ask the judge if you have any questions or are even just curious about his/her opinions. It's a great learning experience!

1t34

Visit site
Agree with learning to spell - seriously, as a competitor, nothing is more annoying than a sheet of comments which are unintelligible / clearly not written in any recognisable form of the Queen's English :mad:

I really dislike comments like this - writers are volunteers who give up their time so you can compete and have a sheet to read!! Don't be critical spend an hour in their shoes!

Best tip I ever had was use your finger that isn't writing to mark your place on the sheet so you know where you are up to. Check the sheet you are writing on is the correct test, a couple of times I have been given the wrong ones. Keep calm and enjoy it!

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
I really dislike comments like this - writers are volunteers who give up their time so you can compete and have a sheet to read!! Don't be critical spend an hour in their shoes!

I really, really dislike paying £12-15 for a class and not being able to read the sheet :cool: I would happily write for judges (and I can write both legibly and sensibly) but it's not something that's obvious how to get into if you don't have an RI who is a judge / other connections in the dressage world.

1t34

Visit site
I really, really dislike paying £12-15 for a class and not being able to read the sheet :cool: I would happily write for judges (and I can write both legibly and sensibly) but it's not something that's obvious how to get into if you don't have an RI who is a judge / other connections in the dressage world.

Tip up at your local venue and volunteer or volunteer at your local pony or riding club - most are desperate for writers.

amy_b

Visit site
Thanks everyone!! Top tips in that lot :-D will definitely do that program on the bd website!! Very handy!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
Tarr Steps you are in good company - several well known judges I've written for do mark then comment.

Make sure you keep an eye on what's going on - judges will occasionally miss a mark out and it's up to you to tell them if they have!

juliap

Visit site

Just phone any venue - most would be delighted to have additional writers to call upon.

I firmly believe that everyone who competes should volunteer to help at a comp at least once every season. It does give you an idea about how much goes on behind the scenes - mostly unpaid to run things + it's usually really good fun.

dieseldog

Visit site

The last dressage test I did they couldn't, tried to spell it twice, crossed them out and replaced it with tempo. :D

monkeybum13

Visit site
Agree with the others about using shorthand and symbols for square halt, circles etc. If you are taking a long time to write a comment make sure you don't forget to write the mark in, the mark is more important. After a while you might get used to phrases the judge uses so you're ready to know what to write.

I have found that writing is an invaluable experience, you learn so much from it.

As for spelling mistakes, it can be very stressful trying to write lots of comments in such a short space of time, providing the competitor can make sense of what is written then surely that's all the matters in the grand scheme of things. I'm not promoting poor spelling but if you're going to get angry about one small spelling mistake I suggest you lighten up!

Freddie19

Visit site
any of you dressage writing moguls?! doing my first stint and have never done it before, have ridden above the level Im writing for and have ridden the test Im writing for so I will understand what they are talking about but could do with some insiders tips! :)
Amy B, how did you get on, I, for one, am really dying to know......hope you had good time

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I just got back from my debut in dressage writing at our PC areas. I really enjoyed it, didn't find it stressful at all (despite being a stress head!) and managed to keep up! My judge had tons of comments (more than I'd ever had back on a test myself!) too! When I looked at our team member's sheets from other arenas afterwards, they hadn't said half as much on their sheets. The judge kept half an eye on where I was up to, and shortened things if need be. We got tea and cake shoved in the car regularly, and had some interesting chats - I felt like I learned something and would gladly do it again.

My comments -
Have a chat to the judge before, they will tell you if they will give the score after or before.
Judge suggested using reg for regular, impul for impulsion if no time to write it, O/bent for over bent. Trans for transitions.. C L for centre line.
Don't write the competitior's details on sheet until they arrive - as sometimes things change and there aren't spare sheets.
Judge wanted me to keep an eye on time too - to check we were running to time. People kept forgetting tests, which soon uses up the time.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

If you want to be assured of someone professional to write you will be paying a lot more than £12-£15 a class.

It costs my club £300 to hire a venue for the day, £15 -£60 in judges mileage depending on how far they have to travel plus gift of wine, £50 + for rosettes and £20 token 1st Prizes. Of course if you can find a cheaper venue then all well and good.

So for Club members we make about £3 per entry and £6 per non-member when we have about 50 entries any less then it's not even that. I don't get any expenses for running it and do a full day plus a 40mile round trip. The volunteer writer gets nothing and neither do any stewards or other helpers.

I'm sure any Riding Club will be grateful for your help - perhaps volunteer to steward first as we do tend to try to make sure whoever we have to write is confident and capable of doing it and we don't know that if we don't know the person. Seeing as you are not short of confidence and have superb written skills no doubt you will be highly sought after once people get to know about you ;) :)

LeneHorse

Visit site
If you want to be assured of someone professional to write you will be paying a lot more than £12-£15 a class.

It costs my club £300 to hire a venue for the day, £15 -£60 in judges mileage depending on how far they have to travel plus gift of wine, £50 + for rosettes and £20 token 1st Prizes. Of course if you can find a cheaper venue then all well and good.

So for Club members we make about £3 per entry and £6 per non-member when we have about 50 entries any less then it's not even that. I don't get any expenses for running it and do a full day plus a 40mile round trip. The volunteer writer gets nothing and neither do any stewards or other helpers.

I'm sure any Riding Club will be grateful for your help - perhaps volunteer to steward first as we do tend to try to make sure whoever we have to write is confident and capable of doing it and we don't know that if we don't know the person. Seeing as you are not short of confidence and have superb written skills no doubt you will be highly sought after once people get to know about you ;) :)

Totally agree with this. I think a lot of competitors are not aware of the amount of work that goes on behind the scenes to make local RC events run smoothly. At these shows the people taking your entries, stewarding, scribing etc are unpaid volunteers -usually it is the same people helping at every event. Its amazing how many competitors come in, collect their scoresheet and depart without a word of thanks.
At our club we give all our helpers a voucher which gives them money off future RC events (the committee do it for nothing but we like to give something to the members who help out).
Re scribing - does anyone else find the new larger sized score sheets a pain in the you know what! :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Seeing as you are not short of confidence and have superb written skills no doubt you will be highly sought after once people get to know about you ;) :)

SBTS, seriously, what a bizarre assumption, and I feel that you're being someone offensive in your tone. I never said I expected someone "professional" to write, but I expect anyone who bothers volunteering to bother making their comments legible and coherent. At some venues (which I don't frequent) they don't and the writing is so lazy that it is genuinely incomprehensible. £12-15 is the standard price round here for unaff competitions. I could pay to affiliate, but the horse isn't established enough not to stick out at an affiliated competition. It's not really a question of pay more and solve the problem :cool:

MissSBird

Visit site
Or, don't bother learning how to spell Rhythm, and shorten it to RYM. Much faster, much easier, and I've had quite a few judges comment on it being a great way to avoid the issue...

Also:

IMP. for impulsion.
BTV for behind the verticle (though I tend to write the phrase the first time on a test sheet, then shorten thereafter)
Suppl. for suppleness
1/2 for half
1/4s for quarters

I'll add more if I think of them.

Also, if they say you're first test is at 9am, be ready to go for 8.30. In my experience, organisers have a habit of slotting people in earlier, telling the judge but forgetting to tell the writers!

amy_b

Visit site
Freddie19 - its not until the weekend after next...i'm a little ahead of myself but atleast I have time to practice that program on the BD website!! *chukkles*
On subject of volunteers,legibility of writing, etc they didn't have a volunteer for this which is an international event so I can't imagine they have the chance to hand pick the best writers a free lunch can buy. Hopefully my writing hand will hold out so as not to disappoint too badly. Quite looking forward to it now you guys have had mostly had such positive advice. I have ridden in hundreds of tests and have only genuinely not been able to read the odd one and honestly I find nothing written (admittedly unlikely to be the writers fault if the judge doesn't give them anything to write) fifty times more annoying than struggling to make out what it says. :)