Tips for getting unclipped horse shiny?

Shantara

Visit site
Just curious really! I don't have a particular grooming regime, just usually scrape the mud off :p
Don't mind spending a little on lotions and potions or supplements :)
She's quite a fine coated thoroughbred :)

Many thanks!

Arzada

Visit site
Lightly brush off mud, put a polyester lined rug on overnight = shiny horse in the morning. That works on Arzada when he wears one for the odd wet and windy day

SuperH

Visit site
Is she rugged? If not I wouldn't groom much more than what you are doing.

Mine are both rugged, I brush them every day, just a quick flick over with more effort a couple of times a week and they are both super shiny. At this time of year I use a shedding blade, rubber curry comb and a not too stiff dandy brush. I don't use my haas brushes as I don't want to strip the natural protection from the coat so they are put away until spring. I don't feed anything other than hay and grass (and a tiny tiny handful of rolled barley as a coming in reward).

jumping.jack_flash

Visit site
Hot water, as hot as your hands can take in a bucket . .a rag, and 1 cap full of baby oil. Dip rag in . . Squeeze out water, and wipe over horses coat to lift grease . . Repeat . . But water has to be as hot as you can handle, and the rag squeezed out and still holding heat to wipe over coat . . your see the water change colour with wiped off grease . .repeat and rug horse up to keep warm.

Like having a strip wash . ..

HashRouge

Visit site
Hot water, as hot as your hands can take in a bucket . .a rag, and 1 cap full of baby oil. Dip rag in . . Squeeze out water, and wipe over horses coat to lift grease . . Repeat . . But water has to be as hot as you can handle, and the rag squeezed out and still holding heat to wipe over coat . . your see the water change colour with wiped off grease . .repeat and rug horse up to keep warm.

A small amount of fairy liquid or detail works with this method too. Hot clothing is mainly used on clipped horses but you can use it every now and then to brighten an unclipped coat.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site

Use two buckets - one to soak the cloth, and one to rinse it in after each wipe :)

Shantara

Visit site
Thanks everyone!
She is rugged and out 24/7. I'm hoping to take her to a show in feb, but at the moment, she doesn't do enough work to warrant a clip and since she's a TB who lives out, it's a fine balancing act with her weight. She's doing so well, I don't want to ruin it by clipping!
She's getting cheapest of cheap pony nuts and some chopped oat straw, I think it was called? As well as a supplement which was meant to help her season.
I've never heard of Haas brushes, I'll google it and probably order one :)

I'll also try the hot clothing before the show too :D not for every day use, of course!

catkin

Visit site
Get her some micronised linseed. If you start feeding it now you'll see a bloom come feb. She won't need much daily, it's measured in cupfuls rather than scoops even for poor doers!!!!.
It is a good feed even for many with sensitive guts.