tips for hardworking sensitive hands?

cob&onion

Visit site
Am constantly outside with my job and get alot of segs and blisters from mucking out tools. I do wear gloves which help but my hands are sore and I get cracked skin between my thumb and for finger joint which then turns red and cracks . My hands are like sandpaper!!
Have tried hand cream but makes no difference.
Any tips or cream recommendations welcome!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Where cotton gloves at night and use Vaseline cover the hands well and rub in put on gloves .
Put your hands in a plastic freezer bag with some olive oil and work it well into your hands and sit with your hands under a duvet the warm and the olive oil is very soothing .
Where you get cracks put Sudocrem rub well into them .
And use Sudocrem as a barrier cream under your gloves when working .

Rhee

Visit site
Similar problem for me but is a reaction to something and get horrible little blisters on just one hand which then dry up if they don't get infected and the skin splits- is very painful. Looks gruesome as well.

After trying all sorts over 6 months from chemists and doctors prescription I re-discovered Germolene. Works great for me, antiseptic, moisturising and also is slightly anesthetic so helps with itching & pain. Tube goes a long way
Plus only 99p a tube from Home Bargains!

[100323]

Visit site
I have not allowed my hands to get dirty this winter. I have been wearing those stretchy pimple grip gloves, with and without fingers. They are covered by extra large very thin latex type gloves. I have not had any problems with dry, coarse of split hands this winter. Just remember to separate the gloves when you remove them to allow inner gloves to air. Or change them occasionally if wearing for a long time.

lurcherlu

Visit site
Soft hands don't split easier.... Think of your skin like paper, if you hold a piece of tissue paper taught its easy to rip (tight paper is the skin that hasn't been moisturised) now hold up a piece of tissue paper with bends and relaxed, not so easy to break.....

i was told ths concerning dogs pads and have used the same theory on my hands , never ever get a problem.

Keep them well moisturised all year round so they are supple, occasionally 2 or 3 times a month) use surgical spirit on them rub in and let dry naturally, it toughens skin, after it has absorbed moisturise again.

Avoid gel hand cleansers..., they can be drying , always dry your hands properly n clean towels. Aloe Vera is soothing too. If your hands get really cracked use cracked heal cream on them it works wonders. Make sure you are drinking enough water as this will dry your skin out too

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I know you said you've tried creams but The Body Shop Hemp Handcream is something else... it's amazing!

My dad has suffered with a rare form of agonising psoriasis on his finger tips for 15 years where his fingers literally split open at the ends. It has been that bad at times he said he's walked into the garage numerous times and seriously thought about chopping his fingers off. He's had every medicine under the sun and even been to Germany and the USA for treatment, nothing worked apart from some tablets that ruined his immune system and caused him to have kidney problems, so he's off them now. I got him some of this hemp hand cream at Christmas after I saw in The Body Shop and within 4 weeks his fingers were at least 80% better, it's been nothing short of a miracle. We know it won't last forever and it will flare up again, however for now the cream is helping so we're so happy :)

I actually wrote to The Body Shop to tell them and send them some before/after photos too. They're replied and said they were pleased to hear about it and have credited my loyalty card with £10 so I can buy him another tube, which was nice :)

Wish I had shares in the stuff, sorry for the essay but it's honestly amazing!!

Last edited:

lunarlove

Visit site
pure lanolin nipple cream, as name indicates its designed for sore nipples during breast feeding but it is one of the only PURE lanolin products around and it works fantastically, I even got my dad a tube for xmas as he too is an outdoor working man and suffers with sore cracked hands and though he was very puzzled and thouht id been on the booze he tried it and now swears by it. Its called lansinoh, its in a purple box and its brill, get it from boots or other chemists :)

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
I have a pair of neoprene fisherman's gloves (from Aldi, cost about £5!) which are just brilliant for doing yard jobs. They are waterproof with little holes in the thumb and first fingers so you can use them to do fiddly things. I usually put another pair of thin gloves (maybe something like those pimple gloves, or even the decorating gloves you can get) underneath and they are brill. They might help with the rubbed blisters etc, and keep your hands a bit drier.

Moisturisers... I get dry, cracked hands and the best moisturiser I have found is actually a Nivea Bio-Argan one. Not v expensive, and do have to put it on several times a day, but it does the job. Also try something really thick like Cold Cream, then cotton gloves over the top, for at night. Cold Cream is a miracle substance for everything, I love it!

Foxy girl

Visit site
I have huge problems with my hands and am allergic to lanolin too, which is one of the main ingredients of hand creams! I have discovered Cetraban which is cheap and comes in a big tub from the chemist - that works well as it's non greasy. Try not to use Vaseline or Emollients and they suffocate the skin and sit on top of it rather than moisturising it (there's been lost of reports about them recently). I also use Aveeno and any of the Eucerin creams from Boots - pricey but worth it because they really work!

And as everyone else has said - wear gloves! I take 2 or 3 pairs to the yard with me to change if they get damp as that's the very worst thing for sore hands.

hope they get better soon :)

maccachic

Visit site
Soft hands don't split easier.... Think of your skin like paper, if you hold a piece of tissue paper taught its easy to rip (tight paper is the skin that hasn't been moisturised) now hold up a piece of tissue paper with bends and relaxed, not so easy to break.....

i was told ths concerning dogs pads and have used the same theory on my hands , never ever get a problem.

Keep them well moisturised all year round so they are supple, occasionally 2 or 3 times a month) use surgical spirit on them rub in and let dry naturally, it toughens skin, after it has absorbed moisturise again.

Avoid gel hand cleansers..., they can be drying , always dry your hands properly n clean towels. Aloe Vera is soothing too. If your hands get really cracked use cracked heal cream on them it works wonders. Make sure you are drinking enough water as this will dry your skin out too

Tissue paper rips way easier than normal paper?? Its callouses that protect your hands.

limestonelil

Visit site
hello OP No time to read through other replies so this may have been suggested before but it really worked for OH manly farmer whose work torn hands started shredding. Be really strict with yourself and stop using soap and in particular any of the liquid soaps - they tend to have an antifungal/antibacterial agent incorporated to stop them going off. Just use Emulsifying Ointment, buy in a tub from pharmacy, to wash your hands with. Have it available wherever you wash your hands. You can use a hand cream that is none irritating to your skin type as well if wanted but the ointment tends to work O.K. on its own. Works for quite a few peeps apparently, now we know about it - good luck.

lurcherlu

Visit site
Tissue paper rips way easier than normal paper?? Its callouses that protect your hands.

Look at what I, trying to explain , that taught tight skin will rip easier , my hands are callous free and never split, even when I used to hose 15 horses legs each day and muck them all out, same as dogs pads, they need to be supple not tight, it cuts easier. Just my opinion and some of my advice that I was given years ago. Never get sore hands now