tips for horse who doesn't like to be last

showpony

Visit site
Long story short my mare does great in front or behind one horse but ask her to go behind two or more horses and problems kick in . She will canter on the spot and feels like she will explode, any tips just to settle her down in group situation?

Mike007

Visit site
I cant blame her , she sounds like a good judge of character . Who are these ****wits you ask her to settle besides. She knows she is betrter.

showpony

Visit site
[tbh mike , bit of a crap reply of advice!QUOTE=Mike007;12100878]I cant blame her , she sounds like a good judge of character . Who are these ****wits you ask her to settle besides. She knows she is betrter.[/QUOTE]

Lolo

Visit site
To be honest, we sat out hours and hours and hours of jogging and spinning and bouncing trying to convince ponies and horses of old to settle when they weren't at the front. Now, we don't bother... We could restrain them sufficiently if necessary, but it was easier all round to just not bother. How lazy was that answer?!

We found circling wound them up more and if they were fighting going with it, as long as the person in front was alright to keep going. We went for miles at a solid trot to try and keep our 'order'! Oddly, ours all hunted pretty sensibly. Just hacking blew their brains!

LynH

Visit site
I have a TB like this although it's not a surprise as she raced/p2p until she was 9. I just took her behind for short periods and then moved her back next to the horse in front. Over quite a long time I gradually increased her time behind or would walk alongside another horse but with her head slightly behind the other horse's head so she learnt not to always be in front. Just mixing the line around throughout a hack helps rather than having them always in the lead.

Mike007

Visit site
not necessarilarily thecrap reply you thoughgt , I have lead many winning horses ,and am under no illusions as to what goes on in their heads.

bonny

Visit site
I would just accept that she wants to be in front and let her as far as possible, all that happens if you try to hold them back is they get more wound up

nix123

Visit site
Just wondering why do you want her to stay behind? Is it more to do with your confidence or are you been told by the others she has to go behind? If it is the latter i think you need to re-evaluate the knowledge of others. Having had all different kinds of horses (many tb's straight from the track) it is not about finding the best for you, its about finding whats best for BOTH of you and if that means she goes infront and she's settled and happy and most importantly safe, then surely thats best for all concerned. In the grand scheme of things if thats all you can put as a negative with her then its nothing to moan about, more you have to accept and respect her.

putasocinit

Visit site
Why does she have to go behind just take the position that the horses are relaxed at, if others walk as fast as her then they should just come alongside, and rein back when need to go single file, i wouldnt fight the mare and upset your ride for the sake of others

Joyous70

Visit site
I spent years being at the back of the ride with my incredibly strong bouncy pony, because he was little he had to go at the back, (according to some, who it turns out were actually afraid of their own horses, not saying this is the case with the people you ride out with OP), but after moving yards, and my lad being allowed to go at the front or one behind the front we had a much better time of it, in fact most big horses used to struggle to keep up with him at a walk let alone flat out!

I now have a youngster who i think has Mike's reply firmly in her head, she isn't interested in being behind the so called nanny horse, she likes to be in front because she knows she's better than them lol

showpony

Visit site
Mike, firstly wanted to apologise about my somewhat stupid comment to your reply on my post:) ive been told its important that she is as settled behind a group of horses as she is outbin front, tbh have been mulling over it the past few days and she is happiest out front and is brave as a lion, so realistically is there any need for her to have to be at the rear of a group... Tbh im happier up front as prefer to be more in control and not try to battle her instinct ...QUOTE=Mike007;12100878]I cant blame her , she sounds like a good judge of character . Who are these ****wits you ask her to settle besides. She knows she is betrter.[/QUOTE]

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horse is not great in big groups and will get very wound up at the back, if i ride with a few others his fine at the front or the back so i limit how many horses i ride with so problem solved.

Mahoganybay

Visit site
Yep, anyone that rides out with me & the boy accept that he has to be in front! Just the way he is & I am too old to keep getting bucked off!

Should I make him stay at the back? Try and sit out the huge bucks, dropped shoulder, twisting & flinging himself about? Nope, sorry, not for no one!

Hippona

Visit site
Same here.
He quite clearly tells me he's unhappy and if I don't listen he gets louder and louder.
A little bum flip. Then another. Then two together...bigger ones. Then cantering on the spot, combined with bucking...as soon as he's in his rightful place he settles.
Order is restored, peace all round:)

Pale Rider

Visit site
Obviously you want to be able to ride your horse at the back, front or in the middle in any position you want. Horses that always want to be first are lacking in confidence in themselves and the leadership of the rider. They don't want to be last as it is a vulnerable position and they are not confident to be there. You should change positions with fellow riders and put your horse in different positions and change position before the horse does it for you. Don't let them dictate, but don't force the issue.