tips for horse who HATES having mane pulled

georgiegirl

Visit site
My new girl is irish and although has a lovely length mane and we now have it on the correct side she absolutely freaks out when you try and pull it (its simply too thick to even contemplate plaiting!)

Even after a good ride so shes warm and taking literally 3 hairs at a time she freaks out. my sympathies go out to her they really do but it needs sorting! any other tips before i resort to the twitch?

mattilda

Visit site
I use scissors on mine. Shock horror. I cut upwards like a hairdresser a small amount at a time until it is the length I want and level. Looks natural and you don't get the "cut" look.
If I use the Solocomb I find the mane hard to plait up for some reason.

monkeybum13

Visit site
Solocomb everytime
Works a treat on horses who dislike having their manes pulled
smile.gif

DarkHorseB

Visit site
She isn't grey by any chance is she? For some reason I have always found my greys hated it most. I have resorted to a Solocomb and a Smart Tails mane and tail thinner in the past both do the job ok - not as good as proper pulling perhaps but it is not worth traumatising a horse that truly hates it or getting injured in the process.

tinkerbell88

Visit site
Used to use a solocomb but I wasn't really a fan of the finished look and mattilda I also found it hard to then plait up. I now just twitch her and it's done in minutes and no stress at all.

kerilli

Visit site
tail rake + scissors. not worth hurting her if she's 1 of the sensitive ones, some don't seem to notice it but others really suffer. fwiw i had a chestnut t.b. gelding who used to try to stand on my feet or squash me up against the wall if i tried to pull his mane... it was obviously really really painful for him.
tail rakes are great for tails too, obviously!

MandyMoo

Visit site
EITHER
twitch, and then you can pull it properly, and you get the 'properly done' look.

OR
use a solocomb/tail rake/scissors, if done in a certian way i.e. not cutting simply horrizontally along, kindof upwards?, it can look nice

smile.gif
xxx

sillygillyhorse

Visit site
Someone once told me that clove oil rubbed into the crest before pulling has a pain numbing effect. I know it is used to ease toothache but I have never tried it for either mane pulling or toothache. I was told to rub it into the crest using gloves or your fingers go numb which is not helpful if you then need to pull a mane!

I have found the mane/tail rakes very good and prefer them to a solo comb.

SS123TT

Visit site
How interesting. My little grey horse hates his mane and tail being pulled so I too have resorted to solo comb and tail rake. Mane's not too bad as I need it fairly thick and longish to put his plaits on top to give him more neck but I really hate the tail! Looks like a loo brush most of the time, just about get away with it if bandaged until the minute he goes into the ring! Doesn't help that he has a very thick dock.

clipclop

Visit site
My chap tries to squash me and stand on my toes too. He finds pulling of the mane incredibly painful so gave up on that years a go.

With regards to using the tail rake and scissors, I find the first time I use the tail rake I get a lovely finish and am able to plait. After a bit of growth things start to get a bit,,, errrrmm,,,spikey and messy. Have you any tips with regards to on going maintenance with these two tools? I would lurrve to master the art of getting a pulled look that is plaitable all season!!
cool.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Someone once told me that clove oil rubbed into the crest before pulling has a pain numbing effect. I know it is used to ease toothache but I have never tried it for either mane pulling or toothache. I was told to rub it into the crest using gloves or your fingers go numb which is not helpful if you then need to pull a mane!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have used this on a previous horse and I think it helped. I would advise the gloves though, didn't do that the first time - d'oh!
smirk.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
My grey horse also hates his mane being pulled. And whilst I can do a small amount after exercise - a mane & tail rake works best for us.

shady_lady

amyye.blogspot.com
try rubbing bonjella on the top of the mane. it's what I do with my Tb who is a complete drama queen when it comes to pain!

also rather good when plucking your own eyebrows!
grin.gif

prudunce

Visit site
snap,my beasty HATES having his ultra thick bog brush mane pulled(tho hes a dream to clip).I use a rake on the underside(brush his mane onto the opp side to expose the underside) then thinning scissors on the ends so you dont get a blunt look!! Looks fab(well it did when i did it back in the summer) .Mr P seems to not mind his mane being raked IF hes got grub to munch on!!!! Im not a fan of twitching,looks horrid and always seems to make their lips sore&split after the twich is off??obv it depends on the materials .Good luck.
smirk.gif

kezimac

Visit site
mine hates hers being pulled too but also has thickest mane ever seen so solocomb was awful for plaiting and rake didnt help much either - she is idxtb and has chunky neck so last winter when the rug managed to rub the bottom half of mane out i decided to bite the bullet and hog it !!!!
now when i did pull her mane i took small amounts over a few days after work - when i hogged it first time there were bald bits where it had been pulled i was so guilty it must have hurt.
if you can do the scissors bit, dont pull even the odd hair must hurt them.

SusieT

Visit site
It's obviously sore/distressing for her. I compare the sensitive ones to having your own head hair plucked out.
Just scissor/rake it!