Tips for in hand show?

viceversa

Visit site
I’m planning on taking my young horse to a local show to have a look round and do an in hand class, to start getting him used to outings. He’s 7 but very low mileage, hadn’t done anything before I got him last year.
He’s approx 16hh, standardbred cross, Brown with white socks and minimal white patch.

Please can anyone tell me what to expect if I take him in, for example, in hand coloured class. I believe I need to wear dark trousers with him having white legs? Got a brown bridle, has slightly padded nose band but that’s all I have. I don’t want to buy loads of new stuff as it’s just to get him out and about, but I do want to look as best we can :)

If anyone can give me a run down of what I must do, it would be appreciated! Thanks!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If it's a small show, your bridle will do fine. If it's an agricultural show with affiliated show classes you might feel rather out of place with your current bridle. Your dark trousers will show his white legs off well.
You will be asked to enter the ring with all the other competitors and walk round so that the judge can get an idea of how each horse goes, make sure that you leave plenty of room between your horse and the one in front, so that yours can be seen at his best. You will be asked by the steward to line up, either in the order that the judge wants or in the same order as you walked round, then, when it is your turn you will be asked to come forward, stand the horse up, 4 square, say 'Good morning/afternoon' to the judge, possibly answer questions such as 'how old is he?', then walk him away from the judge and trot back and past the judge, then walk behind the line to your place. Remember to keep the horse between you and the judge at all times, stay at his shoulder, so that you show off his movement, rather than stretching his neck/nose out. When the judge has seen each horse individually, you will be asked to walk round again, then the steward will call you in in order of places.

The best way to learn what to do, is to watch a few classes/shows before yours.
Good luck!

Equi

Visit site
Basically all pearls said! its a good trick to stay out on your own and one i use all the time lol if a horse in front is going really slow don't hesitate to circle around to give yourself more space or go in front of them. Dont let anyone else purposefully hold you back, or go up your bum - this is a rude tactic by some to make your horse play up or not move as they should! Always remember when you are doing your individual show you are the one the judge is watching. If you trot past them after walk up and around but you dont think your horse has shown its best yet, trot on around the line and to the back again. Don't just stop cause you get to the back of the line..you are showing off your horse and his movement. I tend to start slow and make sure i have my horse knowing whats coming, then bring out a big blast along the long side, and if the line is all along the long side i just keep going until im back around..then when i stop i ask the horse to stand up and salute to the Judge to say im finished. A respectful judge will wait until you have saluted to say you are done. Another point to make, no matter when you are being watched or paraded or not..always have your horse "showing" as in every time the horse in front moves along, move your horse up and again immediately ask it to stand up and perform. You never know when the judge will glance at it. When in the ring, be showing 100% of the time.

viceversa

Visit site
Thanks both, that’s very helpful!
It’s just a local riding club show so don’t think I’ll look too out of place if I’m not 100% correct with the kit.
What am I best to wear? I have a tweed jacket, shirt and tie? Would some short brown boots be better than my long riding boots, and what about my hair / wear riding hat?

sasquatch

Visit site
Thanks both, that’s very helpful!
It’s just a local riding club show so don’t think I’ll look too out of place if I’m not 100% correct with the kit.
What am I best to wear? I have a tweed jacket, shirt and tie? Would some short brown boots be better than my long riding boots, and what about my hair / wear riding hat?

When I did it in hand at a local level, I wore my cream breeches (as horse has dark legs - if yours has white legs, then wear dark), tweed jacket, shirt and tie that was just a plain tie (If you can, get a tie that doesn't clash with the tweed or have any outlandish patterns/overly bright) and then my hair was in a bun and I wore my riding hat - I think for in hand showing you must wear a hat, so a plain black/navy riding hat would be fine.

I also used my short brown boots rather than tall boots, as my tall boots are hard to run in. So make sure your footwear is going to be comfortable to run in whilst looking smart. My short boots aren't the nicest looking, but when cleaned up they looked smart and tidy enough.

B was shown in a bridle, his tack is black and I found a cheap black flat noseband that was fine to use - if it's a local/small show your bridle should be fine, just make sure it is clean and fitting properly!

I would also make sure you practice as much as you can! When I did in hand, I did practice with a few other people also doing an in hand class, which got B used to having to behave in hand with other horses, and also meant I knew what to expect going in as I'd never done it before. There were a few people across classes who had never done in hand before and went in unprepared/hadn't done much practicing who got a bit lost in what they were meant to be doing at times. It's also good to practice the standing still parts, as a lot of horses/ponies also seemed to struggle with that.

Visit site
This is what I wear when showing in-hand - shetlands up to my Exracers. I always carry a show cane which you can't see in this pic.

13920614_10153865656393505_1741878165203668390_n.jpg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I very much advise that you wear trousers rather than jodhpurs, with your short boots, OP, you want the judge to look att he horse's legs, not yours and trousers are far more unobtrusive. However, at a RC show, many of the competitors will be entering ridden classes as well as in-hand, so will probably wear riding gear. You will have an edge on them in your trousers, imo.

viceversa

Visit site
That’s great. I already have tweed jacket, white shirt and navy & red tie which all go well together as this is what I wore when eventing my other horse.
I either have some dark burgundy-ish trousers or navy, I will try on to see what goes best.
Don’t have jodhpur boots but do have some normal short brown leather boots which are similar.
Unfortunately I only have my skull cap with black silk. Can try and get a blue velvet silk for the next show.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
That’s great. I already have tweed jacket, white shirt and navy & red tie which all go well together as this is what I wore when eventing my other horse.
I either have some dark burgundy-ish trousers or navy, I will try on to see what goes best.
Don’t have jodhpur boots but do have some normal short brown leather boots which are similar.
Unfortunately I only have my skull cap with black silk. Can try and get a blue velvet silk for the next show.

I am not sure that jodhpur boots are a good idea tbh, the soles can be slippy - you need to be able to run confidently!

Visit site
I am not sure that jodhpur boots are a good idea tbh, the soles can be slippy - you need to be able to run confidently!

I've worn the same pair of cork heeled Toggi jody boots for the last 12 years and have blasted Welsh C's and D's round the showring without slipping along with showing the shetlands and tb's.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site

As long as you’re smart and dress reasonably appropriately then at local level you’ll be fine. I’ve won a fair few in-hand and ridden in what I wore for dressage including long black riding boots, plain black jacket, black velvet cap all non traditional for showing. I’ve now upgraded to the full works because I qualified for the Sunshine Tour last year.

LdZsqQC.jpg

Hallo2012

Visit site
uOWUH1g.jpg

this is what i wear (welsh B stallion)

trousers are navy skinny chinos from Next, bargainous £16 in the sale
white Asda kids school shirt
Tie is a subtle red and navy pattern from chinese ebay
jacket was my only splurge and is second hand Le Beau Cheval

i personally dont wear a hat as barely any welsh people seem to (apart from flat caps on blokes) but for other classes i would wear a beagler (mine is a REALLY old navy velvet hat off ebay with straps cut off, its so outdated and not padded it looks exactly like a beagler lol and only cost £10!)

i wear black footy boots rather than joddy boots, much lighter and better grip on any surface. I have showing friends who use footy boots in all sorts of classes from hunters to youngstock to ponies, as long as plain black they are fine :)

sasquatch

Visit site

Navy trousers would probably be fine.
The skull cap with black silk should also be fine if it's local level - I just wore my black CO riding hat.
As long as the brown boots are smart/comfortable to run in they also should be fine.

I think for a local show, as long as the overall picture is smart and not miles off being correct you'll be fine :)

best of luck, OP!