Tips for keeping hold of the blooming reins!!!!

siennamiller

As title really, I start with the right length, and they get longer and longer. She is a superstar, but we did have one run out (felbridge today), which was my fault. I am going to try some continental reins to try to hold the tabs,many other ideas..... Pleease

Lolo

Have you tried marking out where the right place is with electrical tape? It just serves as a visual reminder about rein length that is generally very helpful.

siennamiller

Have got rubber reins, they aren't working, so am going to try the continental ones, do you mean put martingale stops on reins?

Fides

Have got rubber reins, they aren't working, so am going to try the continental ones, do you mean put martingale stops on reins?

Yep (the rubber things...) - they're bulky so really stop the reins getting pulled through.

Starzaan

Invest in some rainbow reins. I make all the kids I teach ride with them. They're fab!

Squiggles on Paper

i have the same problem as my horse always overjumps massively so i loose them. i bought some of the continental reins (used to have really nice flexible rubber grip ones) and they've made a huge difference. i still occasionally lose my reins but less often and its easier to keep an even rein contact and regain it quickly :)

neddy man

I have s/j and hunted in continentals for years definitely worth a try .See if you can borrow a pair for a couple of days .If you buy a pair make sure they are SOFT ! Buy the best you can afford ,worth it in the long run .

el_Snowflakes

Im the same! Im forever shortening my reins,especially when jumping as I tend to let go off them to avoid pulling my horses mouth. Since getting woofwear event gloves Iv noticed a marked difference :)

siennamiller

Any glove recommendations? I am currently wearing Rhine gold ones, which seems quite grippy. Tbh I think I just let them slip, it is v annoying!

Polos Mum

How big are your hands and what size width reins. I have smallish hands and find adult width reins really bulky (can't ride in rubber ones at all) I have child width continentals and it's is soooo much easier to maintain a rein contact.
So contentials not just because they have the leather mini stops along them but they are much thinner than rubber -

Having been out trying horses to buy in other peoples tack recently it's reminded me why I have them!

siennamiller

I have man hands, they are mahoosive :eek:. Am going to try some of these ideas, plus someone is making me ride without stirrups today :eek::eek:.

dafthoss

I like electrical tape personally. But I have ridden with mailer bridging reins before which do help but hard to say how much as I tend to over shorten mine when jumping my horse and the other horse it was the first time I had jumped her.

BBP

Mailer bridging reins. Super simple but I wouldn't jump without them now.

SW3

definitely try knots! I have the same issue and have a pair of jeffries super flexi reins in which I have tied knots. helps a lot - although I fear the reins are sacrificial lambs as there is small chance I'll get the knots out now!