Tips for leg position.

Always_A_Moody_Mare

Visit site
I was wondering if you could help!

My seat is secure in the saddle and my legs are normally ok with my heels down but I cannot get my toes to point forwards, instead they are out to the side! I think some of it comes down to dancing, I did ballet etc for 8/9 years and even though i quit 4/5 years ago im struggling to break the habit!

Any tips/exercises to keep my toes pointing forwards? Thanks :)

TigerTail

Visit site
haha I got accused of trying to do a pirouette on a pony aged 12 cos of all the ballet!

Try to keep in mind lowering your little toe and allowing your legs to drape gracefully around the horses sides. Make sure your stirrups are long enough to prevent you bracing against them.

canteron

Visit site
Are you looking for a flatwork or jumping/hacking position.

Flatwork, feet are flat and you go for the head hip heel line.

Jumping/hacking, maybe a more defensive position with the lower leg further forward and the heel down.

As for getting the toes in, concentrate on keeping quite a snug line down the thigh against the saddle and then just work at it - but (assuming you are doing flatwork) make sure you have your lower leg back - EQUALLY on both sides (take photos and critic your own position!!).

Impossible to do a good flatwork position with heels down!! .... ?

Cheryl&Donny

New User
Visit site
i used to have the same problem and the only way I managed to break it was by my instructor shouting at me 'toes forward' everytime they moved to point out. .. Worked a dream :D

Always_A_Moody_Mare

Visit site
Thanks everyone, i will try to keep reminding myself and have a look at the length of my stirrups - i tend to ride short so this may be a contributory factor.

Canteron - it is for flatwork. My heels aren't right down, they just are not 'up' if you see what i mean?

Thanks again!