Tips for loading after many, many years!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
HHO, please give me all your loading tips. šŸ™

My Mum's retired Appaloosa gelding has to go to the vet clinic on Monday morning to have some dodgy cells layered off a very sensitive part... poor boy. He needs to stay in overnight too. He is 16hh, 20 years old, built like a boat and... hasn't travelled anywhere in 13 years. šŸ™ˆ It's not impossible to do the procedure at home but they highly recommend having them in the clinic due to blood loss and a preference for a sterile environment. He isn't up to ridden work anymore but is field sound and aside from cataracts (courtesy of uveitis in the past) he is in good health and could live many years yet so we have decided to proceed. The journey is only around 12 miles.

He is a good-natured, docile sort generally and is very food-oriented and not very bright which I think will help us. When he did travel before he loaded fine. We don't have transport of our own and cannot practice ahead of time but have hired a transporter who we know and have used to collect a pony - she's a lovely, kind lady with what I think is an inviting van.

I think by Monday the ground will be dry enough that the van can come into one of our paddocks which Noah is familiar with and I think that would be easier than trying to load him on the drive which he rarely sees. I am, of course, already panicking about how it will go and wondering what I can do to help... he is not a flighty, prancy sort BUT he is not light on his feet and is one of those who doesn't move out your way lightly and I think may try to tow us in the other direction. I can move him backwards, sideways etc and am thinking just to go for it with a bucket full of mega yumminess?

We do have a mini who doesn't give a monkeys about most things and I guess, in an emergency, we could load him first and take him too? But they do squabble sometimes! Both spotty so it's double trouble.

Any help gratefully received.

ponynutz

Visit site
Make the van as light as possible - open windows, other side/front entrance if you can so it's not a dark place. Big haynet, yummy treats/feed inside, and I'd also suggest a bridle/chifney and a lunge line if he's likely to try and tow you; that way if he tries to make an exit you can let him (lengthen the lunge line) but not lose him and can regain his confidence slowly and try again.

Lunge line can also be used either side of the ramp to encourage him up too.
Good luck - I hope all goes well!

SEL

Visit site
If it's anything like my lot then a stranger loading them - especially someone who does it for a living - will be much easier because they don't pick up on your nerves. My Appy is awful to load but walked on like a dream with the professionals who helped me move yard. I was devastated when they stopped doing transport.

Also likits are useful bribery along with carrots and those nice treats NAF do.

Good luck!

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
Agree, let the pro have first attempt. Park near a wall or hedge so blocking an escape route. Could the companion load and go through and out again - depending on box set up. Make sure heā€™s hungry. Agree with above, practice walking over a carpet or wooden board for treats. Hope it all goes well.

94lunagem

Visit site
I can totally understand why you're anxious, I have a Sec A who hasn't travelled since he came to me years ago and is the sort that snorts at his own shadow, so having to load him at some stage isn't something I relish.

However, I used to work for a National Transporter and 9 times out of 10 horses would happily follow him onto his lorry, despite stories from owners who are expecting or have experienced issues in the past. I would let the transporter guide you as to where they want to park up, and with the best will in the world, stay out of the way and leave them to it (if that's what they want).

I hope all goes smoothly.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
If youā€™re anxious believe me he will pick up on it! I thought i kept my nerves under control but apparently my horse thought otherwise!!

Let the pro do it for you, they will have the confidence and knowledge to make it efficient

asmp

Visit site
I have a bad loader but I have seen a video of a young girl leading him straight on when I lent him for a show šŸ™„. He also went on a very long journey on a large lorry with other horses but I was told he went straight on following the other horses.

I think have the little one ready to load in case you need him as I bet the big one would follow.

Jenko109

Visit site
Agree with above.

If he has been fine to load in the past, then he will be fine. Just be matter of fact about it. Don't tiptoe around him.

sollimum

Visit site
First of all breathe. I know easier said than done but I forget to breathe when I am stressed. He will be fine and transporters are really good in these situations. I know when we loaded our mare after some time not travelling, I asked the transporter and she literally just loaded her straight in and off they went.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thank you all again for your tips... I asked the transporter to load him and he walked straight on. He travelled really well, had a bit of a jump around at some traffic lights but could not have asked for more from him.

Not hugely impressed with the welcome at the clinic sadly but I believe the vet and nurse team there are very good and that he's in safe hands. Look forward to having him home again tomorrow.

Noah - 1.jpeg

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Heā€™s home safe and sound. Walked straight on to come home tooā€¦ I actually canā€™t believe it! https://streamable.com/kqzsm1

The transporter is amazing. ā™„ļø

The vets described Noah as ā€œexceptionally well behaved and a delight to work onā€ and Iā€™m wondering if someone switched him out somewhere along the lineā€¦ šŸ¤£ Soooo relieved to have this sorted and thrilled to have Noah home safe and sound. He travelled really well and procedure went well too. Fingers crossed all heals nicely!

Thanks again for the support.