Tips for relaxing into the contact???

algeredge

Visit site
Hi
Just wondering if any of you have any tips you could share with me to try and get horse to relax into the contact? I have a beautiful KWPN 8yr old who works nicely into the contact in walk and trot fairly consistantly but not all of the time, but he struggles in canter.
He is naturally quite tight in the neck when I watch him in the field or loose jumping, and he seems to use it to balance himself.
My instructor says he is dropping his shoulders and lifting his neck tight in canter so if I keep asking him forwards he eventually lifts the shoulder and comes into a better outline.
She also tells me that he is fab in the making but I need to find the button to relax him through the neck.
I have tried lunging in side reins but he still raises his neck high most of the time although he will relax occassionally. I have also ridden in draw reins which work well but I'm not keen on using them really.
Does anyone know anything I could try? The dressage is the only phase holding us back eventing at the mo, jumping double clears, but dr scores of 36 plus are letting us down!
Thanks x

mudmonkey17

Visit site
I had similar problems with my horse and found that only things that work is to slow it all down so he can work on his balance and to ask for flexion from side to side in his neck as walking, trotting round.

Also lunging with his bungie on helps x

Good luck with yours

Sal_E

Visit site
If you think the problem is tightness in the neck (as opposed to balance), I would certainly work on inside/outside flexion but not the horrible side to side thing the SJer's do but a few strides each way with straightness inbetween. It may also be worth getting your Physio to ensure there's no discomfort in the area & don't forget carrot stretches!

Elfen

Visit site
Ditch the draw reins - you'll end up with more problems! Ensure you hands are quiet and as still as possible, loads of transitions and try lots of flexing in all gaits - including lots of counter flexion. I had a lot of success using a Bowen practitioner - really helped my boy who is very tight in his neck and jaw.

algeredge

Visit site
Thanks for your advice! I schooled last night and did lots of counter flexions which worked really well. As soon as I flexed he relaxed for a short while so I softened with my inside rein and he relaxed even more. I guess it will just take time for him to supple up and realise he cant just go like a plank of wood against me! He has seen the physio a few weeks ago and she didnt find anything untowards so I guess its just practice!

algeredge

Visit site
I had similar problems with my horse and found that only things that work is to slow it all down so he can work on his balance and to ask for flexion from side to side in his neck as walking, trotting round.

Also lunging with his bungie on helps x

Good luck with yours

Mudmonkey - what kind of bungie do you use? Is it like a Team Fredricks lungie bungie?? I tried a chambon on him tonight but he just fought with it then went totally onto his forehand with his head on the floor!!

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Hi, it is a john whitaker one. Just a long piece of elastic really that you alter length etc. Find that just 5-10 mins of it at a time every now and then helps my boy though know some people who use them for longer.